Google TV hardware (Intel Atom CE4100 chipset) hacked to run XBMC?
Question 
If I understand it correctly, this google-designed set-top box from logitech is built around the intel CE4100 chipset which is supposed to have 1080p video-decoding capabilities (surprising as it's coming from intel...)

could we get XBMC onto this thing? this may be an awesome opportunity as it also has these IR-extender capabilities, LAN&WLAN, android OS etc.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
If you can provide complete specs for the box an answer is possible. Just being capable of doing 1080p doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of hardware decoding chips and most of them are not supported by XBMC. XBMC also needs 3D hardware for the interface and I don't know if this box has it. So again, full specs would be necessary for a possible/impossible answer.
intel's linux support should be okay, especially given that they really want to push their linux-based meego OS really hard. it seems that an integrated powerVR chip is at the graphic's heart of this SoC so OpenGL 2.0 support is a sure thing for XBMC's GUI. furthermore, as the google TV will run android, and furthermore on an x86 platform, I don't see any big problems in porting XBMC to this box. the only thing is if we are actually able to gain access to the video decoding capabilities of this system.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I guess if Linux runs on it and Intel fully supports VDPAU and OpenGL 2.0 it might be possible to run XBMC. Any idea how much RAM this system has? Being an x86 system definitely is a big plus for portability. Depending on the RAM of the system even Windows might be a possibility.
ccMatrix Wrote:I guess if Linux runs on it and Intel fully supports VDPAU and OpenGL 2.0 it might be possible to run XBMC. Any idea how much RAM this system has? Being an x86 system definitely is a big plus for portability. Depending on the RAM of the system even Windows might be a possibility.

Seeing its android its linux Smile

Also seeing its android I'd bet it might support openmax, doubt vdpau
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
VDPAU is nvidia-specific so we need an API for the hardware decoding stuff of this intel thing

was searching for some developer material for this CE4100 chipset but no luck so far
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Is it possible (or are there plans) to make GoogleTV a plug-in to XBMC?
For sure CE4100 can run XBMC with Meego system .
GoogleTV use OpenGL ES as graphic engine. Don't have Xwindow. May need more effort to port XBMC on it.
For hardware side, CE4100 can support 1G DDR. So maybe enough for XBMC.
CE4100 has their own video codec driver not compatible with VDPAU.
I don't trust Intel GPUs until I see one play a pure Blu Ray rip.

goddammit this thing definitely needs to run XBMC

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/logit...ard-box-i/

Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I'm hoping that google tv will be able to be installed on any pc, so that it could be made to run inside of xbmc. It seems to have some nice features that would be cool to throw into my existing htpc
I haven't investigated the matter too much, but those two seem like a perfect match. And google tends to be open in terms of APIs and platform support. Just wondering, if anyone is looking/working in that direction...

Cheers
looking for what, to do what?
See subject field, to integrate google tv and xbmc.
Google TV is a piece of hardware running Android OS, what exactly are you proposing? Running XBMC on Google TV?

Harry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google TV hardware (Intel Atom CE4100 chipset) hacked to run XBMC?0