The Unraid thread
poofyhairguy Wrote:Thank a bunch. That is a great guide!

Thanks, glad you like it Smile

By the way, love your signature, i have almost that setup
  • Mini ITX Frontend (with SSD) - Have a 40GB Intel SSD, but not MiniITX
  • Mediaserver/NAS - Got an unraid server with currently 3 x 1.5TB drives and 4 x 1TB
  • Logitech Harmony - Have Harmony One
  • LCD/LED/Plasma TV - Currently 40" Samsung 6 series, looking to get a 55" this weekend
  • Nice AV Receiver - Onkyo 577 with Wharfedale 10.5's at the front, 10CM centre, 10.1 Rear and BK XLS200 Sub
  • XBMC - Have

The only thing I'd potentially differ with is the Mini ITX, while I'm not happy with my case (Antec NSK 2480) if my setup was in something like a Karma TF5 I'd consider my setup perfect, but you just can't get them. Alternatively if i could get a Moneual 312 second hand for a decent price i'd be happy as well
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
My previous HTPC was a Micro ATX based off a NSK 2480 and its largeness is why the one after was Mini ITX. If I was going to do Micro ATX again, this is my current favorite HTPC case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112186

But with that said I really enjoy the challenge of Mini ITX and I don't expect to go back. Micro ATX does have a noise advantage though, so I will change my sig to be a little less specific!

Video>Movies

1,271 items, 5.68 TB available

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

So much nicer than having movies and shows spread across 4 or 5 drives, each with a few hundred gigs free...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Just had a drive go out today, and Unraid is rebuilding a new one without a problem. In my last independent disks mediaserver, I would have just lost the data. Unraid rocks!!!

I have been using Unraid for about 2+ years with no issues. Check out my sig for build pics and wire management ideas. I use a 4020 norco and have about 25+TB of storage. The pics are a bit older but they may be of help. The only real change from the pics is all my drives are in or updated. An example of a norco 4020 trick is the Mainboard stand offs are a bit longer than norm so you can route the power supply cables under the M/B. Also, the front panel cable can be routed along the side trough gapes in the frame steel. (see sig unraid link) Depending on which version of the case you got, you only need to plug power into one row (verticaly) on the backplane.

RE: WD drives. True the EARS drive will need to be jumped on pins 7-8 but if you have other WD drives in the array you will find the EARS a bit slower on media access. I have two and they are much slower than the EADS family and EACS family of drives I have. Newegg has the WD EADS again so pick them up before they are gone.

Use a non Green cache drive like a WD black or the like, and connect it off the main array. ie if you use a 16port card for your array drives connect the cache directly to the main board not the riser card. This will increase your speed a lot on transfers to the unraid box. Also set up your mover script in unraid to make moves through out the day. This way 40-100GB(whatever) of data is not unprotected waiting till 3:00 in the morning to move to the shares.

If electricity is not a real issue in your area or you have a brand new energy star home, or like me all of the above and you just don't care.... set the drives to not spin down. Mine have been spinning along for two years now.. no issues.

The best part about unraid is you can actually talk with Tom via email for support.

25+TB unraid
1400+ movies
3600+ tv episodes
snuffy1pro Wrote:RE: WD drives. True the EARS drive will need to be jumped on pins 7-8 but if you have other WD drives in the array you will find the EARS a bit slower on media access. I have two and they are much slower than the EADS family and EACS family of drives I have.

Can you elaborate on this comment??. Do you mean the movie takes longer to start with a EARS drive or what? What about when stopping the movie during play? ----- I've recently upgraded XBMC and I've been really disappointed at the lag of the system - takes longer to load the dB and stopping movies takes ages. I have recently added a couple of EARS drives to my unRAID server, but never noticed any difference with my older version of XBMC.

Also fellow unRAIDer's - have any of you noticed your HDD's spinning up when accessing "Library Mode" - doing things like pressing the "info button"or switching between the movie / TV node? Or even just starting a movie. Often, something makes all my movie drives spin up - and if I swtich to the TV node, all the TV drives spin up - really annoying when all the info in contained in a local dB!

What version of XBMC and unRAID are you running? (I've had this problem ever since I upgraded from XBMC_9834 and even numerous posts with debug logs haven't found a culprit!)
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Some views hit the disk to check for fanart and the like - particularly if you have things _without_ cached fanart.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

How do we cache the fanart?
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
@KidKiwi

I am a corp IT guy so I have some pretty robust testing software at my job. When the EARS first came out we did some software and hardware testing on them under windows and linux servers. In general the drives are just slower. Jumping 7-8 or aligning them helps but they are still slower.

With unraid I found initial movie and or media "loading/startup" takes longer, and is especially true the more the EARS drive filled up. Both of mine are now full and when access movies on those drives it take about 3-6 seconds before anything happens. Makes Home theater script not so smooth. Play pause is about 2-3 second delay as opposed to the instant response from the EADS EACS drives.

Regarding the cache issue, I had really slow general response till i did the following. Have ember media manager download smaller thumbs and fanart. Then re-import your movies/TV. Or you can use this code in your advance XML to speed things up within XBMC regarding browsing and content scanning.

<advancedsettings>

<thumbsize>256</thumbsize>
<bginfoloadermaxthreads>8</bginfoloadermaxthreads>

</advancedsettings>

Cheers.

Snuff.
Thx for the comments.

@JM - I don't have fanart turned on (Don't use it currently running PM3). Why is it still looking?

@clock2113 - Good comment. Better, how do I turn it off from looking when I don't use it?

@snuffy1pro - thx for that update. I hadn't noticed any performance hits on the previous version of XBMC I was running (16941). I'm not sure my problems are drive related, but I thought I would ask. I don't run fanart as stated above - all the fanart bits are turned off in the GUI - not sure why it's still looking. Maybe it's an AI sent back from the future - not to kill is, but to drive us mad with frustration! Rofl

I looked up this "bginfoloadermaxthreads" in the wiki (not much info there). What does it do? Does a higher number make it faster or slower? (The wiki shows a 5). I'll give this a go.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Anyone had an issues with there library not updating using unraid? Xbmc can see the video files and it has all the nfo's but when I update library it doesnt find it.

Just thought it ask in this thread as well just incase its something to do with unraid.
I haven't had a problem (using EMM to generate my nfo files).
I'm really interested in building an unraid server and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. There's one thing I haven't found out yet ( I probably missed it though) regarding HDD's. I have a few lying around and want to use them, but they all have data on them that I don't want to lose. So my question is, is it possible to use drives that already have data on them or would it be better to get new ones so I don't lose the data?
Thanks
Treefour
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
treefour Wrote:I'm really interested in building an unraid server and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. There's one thing I haven't found out yet ( I probably missed it though) regarding HDD's. I have a few lying around and want to use them, but they all have data on them that I don't want to lose. So my question is, is it possible to use drives that already have data on them or would it be better to get new ones so I don't lose the data?
Thanks
Treefour

I'm getting ready to build one myself, and from what I can tell I don't think it's possible. I think unraid needs to basically format and configure the drives from scratch for it to all work. Perhaps someone who knows more about this can chime in as well.

It may be technically possible, but it would definitely depend on what format your drives are in. If your drives are FAT32 or NTFS for example, I can almost guarentee that unraid wouldn't like that.

What you can do is move things over incrementally if you have enough empty space. That's what I'll have to do.
treefour Wrote:So my question is, is it possible to use drives that already have data on them or would it be better to get new ones so I don't lose the data?

New ones and then copy the data over. Unraid uses the reiserfs file system only.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Unraid thread0