Problems with XFX Radeon HD 4650 video card
Hello,
This is my first post here. I recently replaced my nVidia FX-5500 graphics card with the XFX Radeon HD 4650 card (AGP). XBMC (running in windows XP) still opens, and shows pictures fine. However, when I try playing movies (regardless of the file type) it only plays it in black and white or if I am lucky gives a flash of one colour every now and then in the picture.
These same files used to play fine with the old card and still play fine in an external player like VLC.

I cannot seem to find any newer drivers for the card.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? In an older forum I found a thread saying to place a xml file in the user data directory called advancedsettings.xml. I created one as they said (using Microsoft word) with the code given in the thread (inputing my information for VLC) but XBMC is still using the internal player.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help with this. I love XBMC for my media center and would really hate to have to look for a replacement that would not give me the same features.

Jon
Install the latest Direct X runtime from Microsoft.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you for the CrystalP.
I downloaded and installed the following :
DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
Brief Description
The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX — the core Windows® technology that drives high-speed multimedia and games on the PC.

Version: 9.29.1962
Date Published: 6/8/2010

...and I still have the same problem. I even tried rebooting and the problem is still there. Basically the picture is in black and white and every so often it will be yellow and black, then pink and black or blue and black, then back to white and black.

Any other suggestions on what I can try?

Thank you so much for your help.
Jon
Yes, reset all of the ATI driver settings to default.
I don't know how well AGP cards work. The GPU itself is OK and will give you all features of XBMC.
Isn't your card supported by the latest ATI driver (10.06 I think)?
A debug log may contain interesting information (see signature).
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with XFX Radeon HD 4650 video card0