My HTPC Build Advice
hello all. 6 years of xbox1 xbmc use and finally going to upgrade to play some 1080p content (mkvs and flash). i've read many posts on the hardware board and you guys are so helpful i'm going to unabashedly ask multiple questions. i've built a shuttle pc but thats the extent of my pc building.

i want cheap and functional and care less about aesthetics if it costs too much.

perfect build would have bluetooth, wireless, IR, low power and quiet. dont mind adding them with peripherals if cost is equivalent.

i've read alot of the recent htpc build posts and see a lot of love for the zotac boards. i like this ASUS AT3IONT deluxe (newegg ) because it has bluetooth, IR, DDR3 and power built in but i found a couple threads suggesting it fails and needs tweaking. i'm not afraid of tweaking but failing would suck.

also, i'm planning on putting in 4GB of DDR3 1066 and a 1TB WD SATA that i think is green. (newegg)

so, some questions:
1. does the ASUS board suck/fail?
2. will it power my hard drive without separate power?
3. anyone know how tough the logitech harmony 510 i have will be to set up for this IR on the ASUS?
4. any case recommendations? i would like at least 1 3.5" bay. cheap but not too ugly. low profile. i found the usual suspects newegg has but i dont need a power supply with this board and do need a 3.5" bay. don't plan on adding bluray now but might be nice later.
5. what kind of cooling should i expect to need with this set up. i suppose that is part of the "what case do i need"
6. this case is perfect (antec nsk2480 but seems pricey and is MICRO ATX. plus, i dont need the psu (unless i do Smile

and finally, the board, ram and HD cost $370. considering i dont care too much about size, could this be done more powerful and cheaper and remain quiet if i go bigger (like a microatx board with a C2D or something). my hunch is that the C2D will be more cash to add GPU and be more power (and then louder).

wow. lots of questions. any help would be appreciated!
I suppose I should I also say I know about the ASUS AT5IONT expected in august but that anandtech review led me to believe the ion2 jump isnt needed for an htpc.

i guess i would wait a few weeks and get the ion1 board if the ion2 release brought the price down.......

still... any advice on this board and case would be tremendous!
sadly, i didnt get any love on this post but i am learning alot about this build and its problems from a user at toms. figured i'd post the link in case anyone stumbled on this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289884...-power#bas
I like use CE4100 SOC to ran XBMC ,it's OK ?
I don't know bud, but this is just my two cents:

I have XBMC Live 9.11 (Camelot release) installed on a refurbished IBM S51 (8172) (cost US$99) and everything works just perfectly fine 'out of the box'. The only upgrades I did to the box were a 1Tb hard sata hard drive (US$ 99), a USB infra red remote controller ($10) and a tv tuner card (US$39).

This machine is networked and hooked up to my 42" HDTV.

Internal temp is steady at 68 degrees Celsius.

I guess what I am trying to say is: you don't need to invest a lot of money (US$ 247 in my case).

Kudos.
yggdrasil Wrote:I don't know bud, but this is just my two cents:

I have XBMC Live 9.11 (Camelot release) installed on a refurbished IBM S51 (8172) (cost US$99) and everything works just perfectly fine 'out of the box'. The only upgrades I did to the box were a 1Tb hard sata hard drive (US$ 99), a USB infra red remote controller ($10) and a tv tuner card (US$39).

This machine is networked and hooked up to my 42" HDTV.

Internal temp is steady at 68 degrees Celsius.

I guess what I am trying to say is: you don't need to invest a lot of money (US$ 247 in my case).

Kudos.

Well, sure it will work, but it's a full sized desktop PC you've got there. Not to mention noise, power consumption, etc.

I guess there's the "it works" camp that will use anything, regardless of aesthetics, power, etc, as long as it can run XBMC and then there are those who want a compact device that uses very little power and integrates better into a home theater setup.

I'm sort of in the original boat as the original poster. I originally had the R1600 with 1GB of RAM running XBMC Live and had playback glitches on my BD mkv files so I shit-canned it and have steadily made my way through a variety of streamer boxes all of which have sucked.

So, at this point it's either wait for the next generation of streamers (boxee, box, etc) or build/buy another HTPC that is better equipped to handle high bitrate HD video.

For me, to deal with all this crap again the HTPC would have to do the following;

1. HD audio
2. No stutters or dropouts
3. Full IR remote integration with my Harmony One remote
4. Full standby/resume support from remote
5. Low power consumption

From what I have read I would have more success running on Windows. Ick, Windows. A buddy has also indicated that I should just shelve the whole XBMC idea and run Windows Media Center.
voip-ninja Wrote:Well, sure it will work, but it's a full sized desktop PC you've got there. Not to mention noise, power consumption, etc.

I guess there's the "it works" camp that will use anything, regardless of aesthetics, power, etc, as long as it can run XBMC and then there are those who want a compact device that uses very little power and integrates better into a home theater setup.

It all depends on what one wants to establish. The S51 desktop takes up about as much space as a VCR and runs silent. Power consumption is average with it's 245W power supply. Anyways, that was a bit besides what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that it doesn't always have to be expensive.

voip-ninja Wrote:From what I have read I would have more success running on Windows. Ick, Windows. A buddy has also indicated that I should just shelve the whole XBMC idea and run Windows Media Center.

There is a way to have XBMC run as a "shell" in Windows XP, if that is of any help. I am carefull with the word shell, because it's not realy running as a shell, but it's the closest you'll get. See the following thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37492

Hope the link is usefull.
yggdrasil Wrote:It all depends on what one wants to establish. The S51 desktop takes up about as much space as a VCR and runs silent. Power consumption is average with it's 245W power supply. Anyways, that was a bit besides what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that it doesn't always have to be expensive.

There is a way to have XBMC run as a "shell" in Windows XP, if that is of any help. I am carefull with the word shell, because it's not realy running as a shell, but it's the closest you'll get. See the following thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37492

Hope the link is usefull.

That is handy stuff! I thank you. I might be dragged kicking and screaming into a Windows based HTPC experience yet.
voip-ninja Wrote:That is handy stuff! I thank you. I might be dragged kicking and screaming into a Windows based HTPC experience yet.

hrm.... damn it I just can't make up my mind.

I have Win7 ultimate x32 but do NOT want to use it hence going the Ubuntu route. I was going to go with a Core i3 and microAtx mobo with DDR3 but read that Ubuntu, XBMC do NOT play nice with the H55 intel chipset FML.... so I go and pull the trigger and order up a Zotac Ionitx-L-E with DDR3... it was the same price as I was planning on spending with the core i3

this is what I want.

Newsgroup downloading 24/7
XBMC with HDMI video and audio must play DTS HD and Dolby TRUE HD

FAK.... now if I go with the i3 I have to pay restocking charges at Newegg.com FML

-=Jason=-
4GB of DDR3 is overkill - especially running Ubuntu.

And personally, I'm more a fan of the server/nettop model.
dam i went way over the top then i used my old office pc,

AMD X4 630 2.8ghz
8gb DDR3
Asus evo deluxe board
XFX 5450 graphics card
Silverstone LC17 case

Hey what can you do
Wow... my this is my last build. With rebates comes in under $300. Image

I have the same video card in a different PC doing 1080p, plus this has a dual core 2.9GHZ processor and 2GB of ram. Really don't need any more than 2 for just an HTPC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My HTPC Build Advice0