Newbie looking for set up advice please.
Hi all,

I like the look of the XBMC media player, and would like to build an HTPC with such. I have an old PC which was used to evaluate Windows 7 as an HTPC, as the evaluation has expired it is now sitting while I try without much success to get Ubuntu running as an HTPC. Someone has suggested trying Mint.

Now I am wondering ig there is a simple how to install manual for newbies and people with not much time, which will allow me a simple easy install and set up.

I guess the simple thing to do is list my hardware, I am not having any luck with Ubuntu and media replay so don't have an OS I am happy with.

Asrock 4CoreDual Sata II motherboard
Intel E5200 @2.5GHz per core cpu
Silverstone NT01 passive cpu cooler
Corsair XMS Pro PC-3500LL 2x1gb memory
HIS IceQ Pro Turbo HD3850 512mb AGP graphics
M-Audio 24/96 sound card
Asus PCI wireless card
Samsung 640gb F1 hard drive
Samsung IDE DVD drive
Corsair 450w modular psu
Silverstone Lascala LC13 PC case with Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE 80mm fans

To be honest I would like a simple to install OS/Mediaplayer that I can use to play music and movies, inc HD1080p content and 24/192 music files, and also stream such media from my main Windows PC. My main house PC is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with WMC and MyMovies, this has shared drives for media with most of the main movie media stored as video/audio TS files, WAV for 16.44 digital, Flac for 24/192 audio, and various other formats for music videos, I-Tunes files, photo's etc.
Perhaps the graphics card is giving you issues in Linux (I have no idea). If you find other people having issues (google) throw it away and get a nvidia. If you can find one for AGP.

Then download xbmcLive 9.11 and burn to CD and boot & install to HD. If the card is ok you should at list have a starting point of a HTPC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie looking for set up advice please.0