1080p videos are slow with the latest version of XBMC
Today I upgraded a two years old build of XBMC with the latest stable one in the PPA. At the same time I did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04, had 8.04 before.

With the old build of XBMC I could play 1080p videos just fine, even the killah sample. Now with the latest one I can't play a single 1080p video smooth.

I've tried different rendering modes, ARB shaders seems to work best together with software rendering. I've turned on and off vertical sync.
What has happened during the last two years? With the improvements in XBMC and GCC I though the latest version would actually be slightly faster.

Is there anything I can do?

My hardware is as following
Intel Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.2ghz
2GB ddr2 memory
Intel GMA 3100 graphics card.

Currently my only option is to play 1080p videoes with Videolan, which plays them just as smooth as the old XBMC.
Me too! So glad I'm not the only one. Did have 9.11 and decided to try a nice bleeding edge SVN version. Everything looks fine, but 1080p is very choppy in areas. Almost unwatchable. Tried many combinations of settings to no avail. I'm on a P4 3.4 with a NVIDIA 9xxx card.

Trying revision 31632 now (as there was a live cd based on that). I'll let you know what it's like.

EDIT: Nope, still choppy. Went back to 9.11 for now. Shame Sad

MrNorm
surprisingly, the windows version is now the better performer on ION. Sad
I am on r31687 and 1080p (mkv,h264) is absolutely smooth over here. No problems at all. I have no ION though but a 9400GT. Nvidia driver is 256.35.

boba
Boba23, that is because you have a Nvidia with VDPAU enabled that offloads the CPU. I don't have that.
I don't believe it's a VDPAU issue siDDis. I have a VDPAU enabled card and this issue still appears for me.
@siDDis

sorry, didn't read you sys specs, thought you were on vdpau hardware

@mrnorm

still, it is NOT a general issue. tried several movies yday night. all 1080p, all smooth as silk.

boba
I think this comes back to a bug in multi threaded video decoding. More info here

Edit: Here is a possible solution

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
boba23 Wrote:still, it is NOT a general issue. tried several movies yday night. all 1080p, all smooth as silk.

:confused2:

Wasn't saying it was, otherwise there would be a lot more people saying the same thing. I'm saying siddis doesn't have the same setup as me, but has the same problem with newer builds.

Anyway, shall try that possible fix tomorrow harryzimm as I'm not in tonight. Thanks for the suggestion
Check what scaling method is being used. If it selects something else than linear that could be the culprit.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Scaling is set to bilinear. And the multi threaded video decoding script doesn't have any effect Sad
I figured out what was wrong. I reinstalled Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and now everything is smooth again, even the latest version of XBMC Smile
I had a slow motion with no sound issue. Here is how I resolved it. I thought it may be because I had an HP laptop (and it still maybe the issue) with no Windows 8 video drivers that was slowing my video down and made it look like slow motion so I restored my computer with Windows 7 OS. I ran the same video that I had just ran earlier and it ran at normal speed. While watching the video I adjusted my system/system/audio output from 2.0 speaker configuration to 4.1 and the video immediately went into slow motion. I adjusted it back to 2.0 and it ran at normal speed. I then restored my OS back to windows 8 and adjusted my system/system/audio output to 2.0 on the speaker configuration and it ran at normal speed again. I hope this helps others because I spent many hours figuring this out.
please stop bumping 3 year old threads with the same posts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p videos are slow with the latest version of XBMC0