• 132(current)
[RELEASE] cdART Manager Script
Hey guys,

i am facing some difficulties in setting up cdART. i have the following structure of my music:

D:\Music\Artist\Album\Song

so i have D:\Music selected as the source in XBMC. The i set up cdART an choose a new created folder D:\Music\cdART\Artworks as the artwork path as i didn't want to have my folders messed up with pictures.
After that I updated the database and downloaded the artworks/cover etc. These are now located in the artwork folder in a subfolder artist_xyz, so far so good.
Nevertheless some artists are still having no cover selected, even though the picture file is available in the folder.

I guess I missinterpreted the sentence in post #2:
"This path does not need to point directly to your music library if you don't want to clutter up your music with ClearLOGOs or extrafanart. You can set up an 'Artwork' path which both your skins and the script will point to."

How do i have to set up the artworkpath in cdART?

greetings
(2014-03-06, 16:47)Bazto Wrote: Hey guys,

i am facing some difficulties in setting up cdART. i have the following structure of my music:

D:\Music\Artist\Album\Song

so i have D:\Music selected as the source in XBMC. The i set up cdART an choose a new created folder D:\Music\cdART\Artworks as the artwork path as i didn't want to have my folders messed up with pictures.
After that I updated the database and downloaded the artworks/cover etc. These are now located in the artwork folder in a subfolder artist_xyz, so far so good.
Nevertheless some artists are still having no cover selected, even though the picture file is available in the folder.

I guess I missinterpreted the sentence in post #2:
"This path does not need to point directly to your music library if you don't want to clutter up your music with ClearLOGOs or extrafanart. You can set up an 'Artwork' path which both your skins and the script will point to."

How do i have to set up the artworkpath in cdART?

greetings

The big problem is that XBMC does not provide a method to update the artwork paths in the database(for music that is, video is not an issue) Some skins also have an option to set the same music artwork path and some of these skins use the path to get the artwork(Artists) first then if nothing found then the database art.

Until XBMC provides a method to update art this is how it's going to be.
So, is it possible to just copy + paste the artist folders to my main music folder in order to integrate the artworks into my artistfolders?

will xbmc understand this?
In Gotham the MusicInfoScanner can read artist and album MBID from tags and store in the music database. Any plan to have cdART use these? (at least, I don't think it does currently)

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I stand ready to be corrected on this, but I think cdART manager does read MBID's from tags, as the plugins settings somewhat allude to this being the case, and in my experience scanning my music library with cdART manager goes much quicker on content with MBID's present than for those without.

However, cdART manager doesn't write anything to the tags of the MP3 file. it does not modify the music in any way, shape or form. If you use embedded album art AND folder.jpg's for example, it will download upscaled album art, but not replace the low quality art already embedded in the music. MBID's are also stored in the cdART database that you create/update when using the plugin.

While this will avoid any moaning and complaining on this thread towards Giftie about his plugin corrupting people's music (potentially), it doesn't solve the problem of having multiple XBMC installs accessing the same files. MBID's are not present if updated, in the music itself, and only folder.jpg's and artwork are downloaded. So you have to run cdART multiple times on multiple XBMC installs if you care enough about cdART manager being consistant and up to date on all your installs. Personally I would be happier if cdART manager DID modify the music directly, BUT, with the option to turn off such a feature for those who are scared it would affect / corrupt their music.

Headphones, the python app uses beets to tag the music it downloads / processes, and apart from the annoying comment placed in each track, it works well. I'd like to see similar come to cdART manager, but I don't think it's going to happen.
(2014-03-08, 03:25)scott967 Wrote: In Gotham the MusicInfoScanner can read artist and album MBID from tags and store in the music database. Any plan to have cdART use these? (at least, I don't think it does currently)

scott s..
cdART Manager does use the MBID's that XBMC provides. For albums, XBMC often has Release MBID's and the script(and fanart.tv) use Release Group MBID's So the script will check and match Release Group MBID's in this case. The script also verifies the MBID with MusicBrainz as there often are updates. Since it requires less work, it does go along faster.

(2014-03-08, 22:37)gibxxi Wrote: I stand ready to be corrected on this, but I think cdART manager does read MBID's from tags, as the plugins settings somewhat allude to this being the case, and in my experience scanning my music library with cdART manager goes much quicker on content with MBID's present than for those without.

However, cdART manager doesn't write anything to the tags of the MP3 file. it does not modify the music in any way, shape or form. If you use embedded album art AND folder.jpg's for example, it will download upscaled album art, but not replace the low quality art already embedded in the music. MBID's are also stored in the cdART database that you create/update when using the plugin.

While this will avoid any moaning and complaining on this thread towards Giftie about his plugin corrupting people's music (potentially), it doesn't solve the problem of having multiple XBMC installs accessing the same files. MBID's are not present if updated, in the music itself, and only folder.jpg's and artwork are downloaded. So you have to run cdART multiple times on multiple XBMC installs if you care enough about cdART manager being consistant and up to date on all your installs. Personally I would be happier if cdART manager DID modify the music directly, BUT, with the option to turn off such a feature for those who are scared it would affect / corrupt their music.

Headphones, the python app uses beets to tag the music it downloads / processes, and apart from the annoying comment placed in each track, it works well. I'd like to see similar come to cdART manager, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Once XBMC allows for editing of Music Artwork(how artwork downloader handles video.) then there would be a method added for those who have multiple instances of XBMC. Right now it really is too much coding to get something that only partially works.. Also it is only the database building that takes the most time.
I take your points on board Giftie, and I must say, aside from the insanely long database building/updating, your app is a godsend. However, if the beets library already exists in python (which it does), how much coding would it require to tailor to users needs? And i'm asking for both MBID insertion into tags, as well as artwork, as I believe beets does both.

It would be nice to have something that makes my music files consistant as well as my XBMC experience. Just call me OCD.

Wink

Either way, I couldn't live without cdART in XBMC at this stage, not only for folder.jpg art, but also all the other things it does, so major kudos for that.
(2014-03-09, 00:13)gibxxi Wrote: I take your points on board Giftie, and I must say, aside from the insanely long database building/updating, your app is a godsend. However, if the beets library already exists in python (which it does), how much coding would it require to tailor to users needs? And i'm asking for both MBID insertion into tags, as well as artwork, as I believe beets does both.

It would be nice to have something that makes my music files consistant as well as my XBMC experience. Just call me OCD.

Wink

Either way, I couldn't live without cdART in XBMC at this stage, not only for folder.jpg art, but also all the other things it does, so major kudos for that.

It would require a lot of rewriting of the of the beets library to make it work in XBMC since most use virtual file paths instead of mapped drives.
OK, that answers my question. Even if the library is open source, a re-write is not worth the effort, agreed. Was hoping it would just plug-in and be a simple link in the chain. Will wait on your further developments and compensate for cdART via other external tools.

Thanks for the clarification.

Smile
I'm not sure if this is a plugin or an android problem but I can't get cdart manager to load. I get script failed every time. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=146263
(2014-03-09, 22:07)Bigry 1 Wrote: I'm not sure if this is a plugin or an android problem but I can't get cdart manager to load. I get script failed every time. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=146263

Android issue.. The scrip needs the Python Image Library(PIL for short). No clue on how to install it
Thanks, that's what I thought. I posted over in the android forum also. If we come up with a fix I'll link it.
Giftie,

Small issue discovered with XBMC Gotham Beta 1 (May have existed in prior versions) is that if a library scan is under-way when cdART Manager is launched, the app will sit there attempting to access the Album list, which it can't because the tables are open by the library update process. Cancelling the request leads it to instantly trying again, and the add-on hanging. XBMC is still ok in the background, but since the whole screen is dominated by the cdART UI, there's no option to back out without doing a three-finger-salute (CTRL-Alt-Del -> Task kill XBMC).

Now your probably about to tell me I shouldn't attempt to launch cdART while a library scan is in process, and I know this. BUT, If you have the Automatic Library Updater running, or WatchDog, or any other automated scan add-on that can trigger a scan at random times, and you have process dialogs hidden, your not going to know when a libary scan IS actually running. There is also the case where changing skins during a library scan can cause the progress bars to dissappear, and/or accidentally running cdART Manager when you meant to run something else.

Either way, is there some form of checking that can be added to prevent cdART Manager from starting (with a notification) when a library scan is in process? A fail-safe to prevent total loss of control over XBMC. Either via deliberate or accidental actions.
Im using raspbmc (xbmc 12.2) on the raspberry pi.
I stumbled across a little "glitch" concerning the naming of the artist-directorys cdart manager creates.
For the artist AC/DC it creates the folders ./AC/DC, ie one folder AC containing the folder DC, imho it would be better to remove any "/"s (and "\"s for windows systems) from the artistname before creating the folders (obtaining in this case one folder named ACDC).

ps: love ur script, really good work!

edit: Just realised: due to the messed up directory structure xbmc cant locate the folder.*, so it doesnt display the artist picture...
(2014-03-24, 19:41)bottom Wrote: Im using raspbmc (xbmc 12.2) on the raspberry pi.
I stumbled across a little "glitch" concerning the naming of the artist-directorys cdart manager creates.
For the artist AC/DC it creates the folders ./AC/DC, ie one folder AC containing the folder DC, imho it would be better to remove any "/"s (and "\"s for windows systems) from the artistname before creating the folders (obtaining in this case one folder named ACDC).

ps: love ur script, really good work!

edit: Just realised: due to the messed up directory structure xbmc cant locate the folder.*, so it doesnt display the artist picture...

Not a glitch, it's by design. If you'll search this thread you will see why.
  • 132(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] cdART Manager Script6