Audio only over optical only - xbmc ubuntu
After spending days getting surround working on my machine I am now at a stage where everything is working (including surround) over optical, however I dont have any sound over HDMI to the TV..

My TV is as follows:

Revo 3610 (Ubuntu 10.04) with XBMC compiled in may
connected with optical to the AMP
connected with HDMI to the TV

XBMC settings:
Audio output: Digital
Dolby capable: Yes
DTS capable: Yes
Audio output device: Internal Audio Analog Stereo
Passthrough: Iec958
Downmix to stereo: No

I get no sound what so ever over the HDMI cable, but would like this so the kids can watch movies without having to switch on the amp.

I tried a number of things to get the surround, but ended up using the following .asoundrc in the end (others didnt work).

Any idea why I am not getting sound over HDMI? What else do you need to know in order to help?
------------------------

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "both"
}
}

pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm multi
channels 6
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
ttable.0.4 1.0
ttable.1.5 1.0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a {
pcm "tv"
channels 2
}
slaves.b {
pcm "receiver"
channels 2
}
slaves.c {
pcm "analog"
channels 2
}
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
bindings.4.slave c
bindings.4.channel 0
bindings.5.slave c
bindings.5.channel 1
}

pcm.tv {
type hw
card 0
device 3
channels 2
}

pcm.receiver {
type hw
card 0
device 1
channels 2
}

pcm.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0
channels 2
}
scope Wrote:XBMC settings:
Audio output: Digital
Dolby capable: Yes
DTS capable: Yes
Audio output device: Internal Audio Analog Stereo
Passthrough: Iec958
Downmix to stereo: No

change to custom: plughw0,3

if you also want system sounds via HDMI there's a much simpler asoundrc in a lot of threads here
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I tried changing the custom passthrough to "plughw0,3" but it made no difference to the HDMI sound..

Basically I want sound on both HDMI and Optical, and the easier the .asoundrc file the better.. Its just I tried a number of them on my hunt for surround sound (most only gave me stereo over optical), the one Im using now atleast gives me surround over optical. Smile

If anybody can suggest amendments to the file feel free to.. The files doesnt mean anything to me, it was just a cut'n paste job. Smile
Yes, I precisely have an idea why you have no audio on HDMI:
you selected Analog output in XBMC.
and your HDMI is a digital device.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting your config - I have been trying for weeks to get my audio working. Previously had xmbc installed on ubuntu 8.04 on an AMD/ATI motherboard. Bought a new MB to get nVidia vdpau, so I installed ubuntu 10.4 from scratch, but had a horrible time with pulse audio and surround sound. I copied over your .asoundrc, and it is working great via optical out. I only use the optical and not HDMI (receiver doesn't support hdmi), so I can't help much on getting your dual output to work (sounds cool though, I will monitor the thread). Best of luck getting it working, and much thanks for getting mine working!
Also, I don't know if you came across this thread, it might help you find a solution - though his is the reverse of what you want (i think), as its hdmi for 6channel surround, and optical out for 2 channel stereo (digital).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62919

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio only over optical only - xbmc ubuntu1