Media Server Build Advice
Profile of what I need/want

I am wanting to build a media storage server. I want this server to have max storage while still being able to streaming to up to 4 or more computers in my household.

- In a nut shell 1 server with all my of media on it rather it be music, movie, pictures, applications, and so on.
- I am looking for a storage amount of 8TB. 4 for storage and 4 to mirror as a backup.
- I would like the storage capability to be expandable encase I need more space in the future.

- All my desktops are Windows based systems, so I would like an OS that I can setup permissions on so that I can block access to certain media

- As a bonus I would like this system to be powerful enough that I can backup a DVD or BlueRay movie to the server while still being able to stream a movie from it at the same time. This part is not as important as I can always backup the media on another computer and move it to the server later.
tvieson Wrote:Profile of what I need/want

I am wanting to build a media storage server. I want this server to have max storage while still being able to streaming to up to 4 or more computers in my household.

- In a nut shell 1 server with all my of media on it rather it be music, movie, pictures, applications, and so on.
- I am looking for a storage amount of 8TB. 4 for storage and 4 to mirror as a backup.
- I would like the storage capability to be expandable encase I need more space in the future.

- All my desktops are Windows based systems, so I would like an OS that I can setup permissions on so that I can block access to certain media

- As a bonus I would like this system to be powerful enough that I can backup a DVD or BlueRay movie to the server while still being able to stream a movie from it at the same time. This part is not as important as I can always backup the media on another computer and move it to the server later.

QNAP439P will do all of above and is expandable through adding more USB disks. Dont think it will be powerful enough for your last request, but the more expensive models will do (859 or so).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Unraid is magic software for media servers. As long as you drop the last requirement (it's write speeds are slow) it will give you read speeds that max a consumer gigabit network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Server Build Advice0