Developing Plugins - Where to find xbmcgui and xbmc libraries
I would like to learn how to develop and debug python addons for XBMC to collaborate with the project and to satisfy some personal challenge.
I have some programming skills, mainly related to db and Visual Basic, and am enthusiastic about learning something new like Python.

I have gone throught the online manuals and tutorials, but found no answer to a question:
Is it possible to develop and debug plugins using portable Python and Wireshark without having to install XBMC in that computer?
My intention is to use the computer at work and I cannot install anything there due to some security policies.

I am aware that xbmcgui and xbmc are required libraries to import, but do not know where to find them inside de XBMC installation (under Linux).

Could someone be so kind so as to let me know where to find those libraries and where in the Python folder structure to put them?

Best regards.

PS: Sorry if this is a n00b thread but found no information searching the forum and the web.
this will not work .. without a installed xbmc
linuxluemmel Wrote:this will not work .. without a installed xbmc

Oh, well, I thought that perhaps the Python interpreter could import a library despite it not being installed, as in Visual Basic.
The modules are provided by the XBMC executable - they don't really make much sense without XBMC running in most instances.

Note that XBMC will run just fine in "portable" mode without being installed. Just unzip the installer to wherever you have write access and run the executable with the -p commandline argument.

I believe at some point in the distant past there was an effort at developing some modules that took the place of the XBMC modules (i.e. emulated what they do in some way) - I'm not sure how developed they were or where you'll be able to grab them, other than doing some googling Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:The modules are provided by the XBMC executable - they don't really make much sense without XBMC running in most instances.

Note that XBMC will run just fine in "portable" mode without being installed. Just unzip the installer to wherever you have write access and run the executable with the -p commandline argument.

I believe at some point in the distant past there was an effort at developing some modules that took the place of the XBMC modules (i.e. emulated what they do in some way) - I'm not sure how developed they were or where you'll be able to grab them, other than doing some googling Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for the advice. Will install the Windows version then and give Python a try.

Regards

Sebastián

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Developing Plugins - Where to find xbmcgui and xbmc libraries0