Screen/Control Lock
One of the features I would like to have would be the ability to play some media (ex. a playlist for music at a party) and then be able to lock the controls so that someone would have to enter a password (possibly tied to the user profile password) in order to change or pause the song (though still allowing you to navigate through the menus). Going even further would be to lock the screen onto a visualization requiring a password to do anything.

I'm sorry if something like this has already been requested or if this feature is already implemented. I spent quite some time searching the forums/internet and messing around with the XBMC settings but I came up with nothing.

Thanks for this great piece of software! Keep up the good work.
I think if you have a master lock then the screensaver requires password entry to exit. I'm not sure if this applies to the visualisation when used as a screensaver - I suspect it doesn't, but take a nosy.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I was not able to get the control/screen to lock with or without media being played. I still had full control from the visualization (or screensaver when media was paused).

I had master lock on with every lock option selected.

Thanks for your quick response btw.
Make it go to a real screensaver, not dim, not vis. Then you'll get the lock. Please confirm.

We "simply" need someone to do up a patch that applies the same to those other modes Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Jonathan,

You were right... I had tried the 'dim' and 'black' screen savers but not the slide show.

It works beautifully now. It would be nice, however, to be able to have the same locking function whenever you put it into a visualization.

Thanks again for your help, and good luck on the upcoming release.
Interesting that the slideshow works. So just dim, black, and vis don't work? vis could be tricky I suspect.

Correct... with the slideshow active, XBMC prompts me for a password before giving me control/shutting down the screensaver. However, dim, black, and vis do not. Dim and black will just shut down the screensaver as soon as I press any key where as the vis allows me to change the track/pause/etc.

Furthermore, I only have to have 'Ask for master lock code on startup' checked. The rest of the lock setting can be unchecked.

By the way, I'm running on Windows with the July 10th nightly build (give or take a day)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen/Control Lock0