New Revo?
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums. I'm very interested in setting up a HTPC (I currently have a WDTV Live Plus) and was going to purchase an Acer Revo. My issue is, it looks like the Revo is now almost a year old and the ION2 platform has already been announced by Nvidia a few months back. So, is there a Revo 2 on the horizon? Does anyone know? If that's the case, I'll just wait until the new one comes out.

Thanks in advance.
No need to wait, the performance differences are minut at best for a dedicated htpc.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
up until now, I haven't seen anything surfacing on engadget and the likes, so I don't think any new revo models will be out before autumn or winter

the 3610 is still a very nice and capable system, the advantages of atom2&ion2 are marginal at best
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Wait, so you guys are aware of the technical differences between ION and ION2? I'm just curious why you say it won't be worth it.
burritoboy9984 Wrote:No need to wait, the performance differences are minut at best for a dedicated htpc.

-Erik

Hannes The Hun Wrote:the 3610 is still a very nice and capable system, the advantages of atom2&ion2 are marginal at best

This is why
Morbeas Wrote:Wait, so you guys are aware of the technical differences between ION and ION2? I'm just curious why you say it won't be worth it.

Say you have a car that can do 180 MPH. The speed limit is 70. What will a car that goes 190 MPH gain you?

Current Ion will do 1080p, what more do you want?
There will be one eventually, Intel has already EOL'ed the old Atom N230 and N330 and stopped producing them.
Morbeas Wrote:Wait, so you guys are aware of the technical differences between ION and ION2? I'm just curious why you say it won't be worth it.

Just google "ion 2 slower than ion" and read a few. Whether it actually is slower is a moot point. The point is, an ion box currently will be more than adequate for your needs.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
that's also why my future interest switched from the atom&ion combo to the CE 4100 intel SoC in the google TV box. this system seems like an ideal candidate to hack XBMC onto it once it is out.
hell, there's even the possibility to get XBMC into the market as an android app for this baby.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:that's also why my future interest switched from the atom&ion combo to the CE 4100 intel SoC in the google TV box. this system seems like an ideal candidate to hack XBMC onto it once it is out.
hell, there's even the possibility to get XBMC into the market as an android app for this baby.

I'd be surprised if any of those two platforms will be anywhere near as trouble-free for XBMC as an Atom+ION box for quite some time.

Soon there won't be a choice between ION and ION2 anymore since ION devices will be discontinued due to the first gen. Atom being EOL'd.

OTOH there is no reason for anyone to upgrade from ION to ION2 since ION2 isn't really any better than ION, but any new purchases will soon be only ION2 since that's all that will be available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Revo?0