Mount NTFS USB drive
Hi all, I can't access from xbmc to my external USB hard disk, with NTFS fs. The drive is mounted with read permission for root only.

I filed a bug here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9664

I'm pretty sure it's an xbmc bug, but I'd like to know if someone else suffered the same problem, I'm compiling from svn, ION htpc.

All the details are on trac link.

Thanks
It isn't XBMC that is mounting the drive it's the operating system so it's not a bug in XBMC.
So you should configure your Gentoo correctly.
You should use FUSE and NTFS-3G to get read/write access to your NTFS drive.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Gentoo mounts correctly the device, in fact I can read files from shell, but only with root access. Gentoo provides the mount command, but mounting options are (or are not) passed by xbmc, you can find them in the log.

From shell if I do:

Code:
# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk/ -o umask=022

the drive is mounted with correct permissions and I can read it as user.

FUSE and ntfs3g are for rw access, which I don't care. I only need read access, that's available using only kernel modules, and it's working by now, because I can read the drive from shell as superuser.
Configure fstab for your drive and make sure the mounted mountpoint is owned by your user. That way you won't need root access the drive.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
That's not a solution, fstab it's not dinamic, what if the mounting device changes? What if I hook another usb drive with different fs?

The mount point is created dinamically from xbmc and I can't rename or change permission unless I do it every time by hand, again not a solution.
Thanks anyway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mount NTFS USB drive0