language translations.
oops. posted to the wrong forum yesterday:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77327

also - another thought for this topic would be just one list of localized languages, such as:

XXX:
English (US)
Deutsch (Deutschland)
中文 (简体)
中文 (繁體)

i think having all languages in english by default makes it a lot harder for people to find their language. and there is no good reason for that, ... i think

===============

is it possible to get translations for language names into the main localization string thing? as in

english ---
English (US)
German
Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)

german ---
Englisch (US)
Deutsch
Chinesisch (vereinfacht)
Chinesisch (traditionell)

chinese (simplified) ---
英文 (美国)
德语
中文 (简体)
中文 (繁体)

chinese (taditional) ---
英文 (美國)
德語
中文 (簡體)
中文 (繁體)

maybe there is stuff in some linux distro that would be usable for this? also, it might be interesting to put the english translation in it, too ...

how about it?
There's a couple of things stopping this:

1. We use the folder names for the string labels, so these would have to be changed, and on many systems (win32 for instance) utf8 names for these would cause issues.
2. The default font hasn't yet been fully supplemented to include many of these characters.

The first could be fixed with a simple map. The second there's a ticket for.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

oh, ok. i wasn't even sure where those strings where coming from. as for the font ... just modified confluence to use droid sans fallback ... perfect. no problem there. simplified and traditional both working fine (as far as i can see). it's under the apache license ... i am not familiar with those matters ...

as for the supported characters, supposedly it includes full support of chinese traditional and simplified, korean and japanese, but not vietnamese (in terms of asian languages). most european languages seem to be incomplete but readable ... hebrew is missing completely ... but it seems more complete than DejaVu?
See the trac ticket for more details:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6397

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
language translations.0