No portable mode in latest SVN or Dharma?
Hi All

has portable mode been removed?
no.
lestat1977uk Wrote:Hi All

has portable mode been removed?

The installer no longer offers the option of portable mode. It was removed because of the confusion it caused with new users.

Portable mode is still there but you need to manually update the shortcuts to add the -p command line argument. If you understand what that means you're experienced enough not to be confused by portable mode :-)

JR
lol

weirdly i have tried that and it still seems to obey the settings etc. in the Apps/Roming folder?

Will try again tonight, maybe i'm missing something.
lestat1977uk Wrote:lol

weirdly i have tried that and it still seems to obey the settings etc. in the Apps/Roming folder?

Will try again tonight, maybe i'm missing something.

Same here...Sad
It works just fine. Start a cmd prompt, cd to the appropriate folder, and run XBMC -p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:It works just fine. Start a cmd prompt, cd to the appropriate folder, and run XBMC -p

I've just tried with Dharma build 31996 and portable mode worked as expected.

A quick way to check which mode is being used is to look for the xbmc.log file. In default mode this is created in %appdata%\xbmc while in portable mode it's created in %ProgramFiles%\xbmc (%ProgramFiles(x86)%\xbmc if you use 64 bit Windows). Run XBMC then close it, then check the timestamp on xbmc.log in the two locations.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I've just tried with Dharma build 31996 and portable mode worked as expected.

A quick way to check which mode is being used is to look for the xbmc.log file. In default mode this is created in %appdata%\xbmc while in portable mode it's created in %ProgramFiles%\xbmc (%ProgramFiles(x86)%\xbmc if you use 64 bit Windows). Run XBMC then close it, then check the timestamp on xbmc.log in the two locations.

JR

It's actually being executed in portable mode but somehow it's not considering my settings..
Here's the log:
http://pastebin.com/psFbivRn

Maybe the path "special://" is not set right?

Edit: I've just figured out... "\portable_data\".. this is new...
regi24 Wrote:Edit: I've just figured out... "\portable_data\".. this is new...

Ah yes, I didn't know about that either! The perils of using development builds :-)

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Ah yes, I didn't know about that either! The perils of using development builds :-)

JR

Do you know if it's permanent? Is it gonna change back in future versions?
It's not going to change back, no.

I can't, however, guarantee that it's permanent, but I see no reason that it would need to change again.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:It's not going to change back, no.

I can't, however, guarantee that it's permanent, but I see no reason that it would need to change again.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've moved all my data to the new location but XBMC crashed after starting.. Sad

http://pastebin.com/921ca5pz
What's that got to do with this thread? You specifically disabled debuglogging in your advancedsettings, so we can't tell anything from it either way. Start a new thread and post an actual debug log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No portable mode in latest SVN or Dharma?0