Stream to XBMC
Hi,
I remember my android phone offered me sometimes the option to play a video or something else in xbmc, am i remembering right? because i can't reproduce it now, was it meant to stream for e.g. videos on my phone to my media center?
When you open an video or audio file that is an URL, we've added a hook into Android so it offers you to open it in XBMC. In this case, the remote would just tell XBMC "play this file at this URL" and XBMC takes care of the streaming (it doesn't go through your phone). This means that only remote URLs can be played, not files that are locally on your phone.

We're planning to add such a function though, in both directions (stream from XBMC to phone and vice versa).
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Ah okay, thanks for the answer and keep up the good work Smile
UPDATE: Nevermind. I get it now. Only direct links to a video or audio files work. My bad.

I didn't even know this functionality existed until it just randomly popped up as an option for viewing a video. The problem is that it only happened that one time and despite trying and trying I can't get it to show that option again. I understand that it's only for video urls but as I understand it, that should be any youtube video. Now when I click a video it asks to open in the browser or the youtube viewer only like it always has before. I really like this feature and would love to actually be able to use it with any kind of regularity. Am I just missing something simple or is it just a bug? Any help is so very much appreciated.

XBMC remote v0.8.4-beta1
Android 2.2 on HTC Incredible
XBMC 9.11 Live and 10.0 beta2 Windows7 (on two seperate machines)
When I google Dateline NBC on my phone and go to the 1st link, the videos ask to open it in XBMC. Works great too, I wonder why others like youtube wouldn't ask
Hi.

Would it be possible to extend this functionality to be available from within other apps? For example, this would really be handy from within the YouTube or IMDb app. Searching a YouTube video via the YouTube app on the Android phone and then watching it via XBMC on your TV would be great.

Best regards,
Nemobil
Nemobil Wrote:Hi.

Would it be possible to extend this functionality to be available from within other apps? For example, this would really be handy from within the YouTube or IMDb app. Searching a YouTube video via the YouTube app on the Android phone and then watching it via XBMC on your TV would be great.

Best regards,
Nemobil

I think you need to differentiate between telling xbmc to stream from a source and actually stream from the app. The latter is really unnecessary at many points and just adds unnecessary complexity. Creating an app which just provides a share intent which could be sent to XBMC might make sense but streaming from the actual device does not (unless its music on the device).
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi topfs2,

it is your first option "telling xbmc to stream from a source" that I was refering to. My idea would be to use, e.g., the YouTube app (and other apps) on your Android phone to comfortably browse the YouTube video collection and once you have found a video that you are more interested it, you send a streaming request to XBMC on your xbox so that XBMC is receiving the stream from the Internet/YouTube and you can watch it on your big TV. From an Android interface point of view, a long press on the desired video + selecting "Watch on XBMC" would be great.

Concerning your second option "actually stream from the app", I agree that this is a different story. However, I do in fact see some situations where this could also be useful/desired, e.g., when listening (on the go) to an audio book on your phone (stored on your SD card) and wanting to continue listening to this audio book on your stereo via XBMC when arriving back home. That would probably require integrating a streaming server into the app, however.

Best,
Nemobil
Well the first case can be used for both cases (and already is ok from XBMC point of view).

i.e. the source your pointing xbmc to stream from could be your phone.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Wouldn't it be possible to use android's share feature to share the link to xbmc?

ie. if in the youtube app you click "share" above the video and it you select xbmc from your list of apps.
iandroid Wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to use android's share feature to share the link to xbmc?

ie. if in the youtube app you click "share" above the video and it you select xbmc from your list of apps.

+1, That would be really useful.
I would love this feature!!
I was browsing vimeo.com on the phone when i discovered this xbmc-remote function.

But now a very important case: How can i watch the HD Version of the Vimeo-Videos?
I'd love to see this playto url hook on jailbroken iPhone too. Rolleyes
+1 for this feature...you guys can get something similar using imediashare on android...its not customizable and lacks many things i'd like to see but it works pretty well on youtube already

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream to XBMC0