Panasonic TV HDMI and HP IR Receiver conflict?
[PROBLEM]

There seems to be a conflict between my Panasonic Plasma and the usb HP IR receiver i'm trying to use.

[SOLVED]

Looks like plasma TVs "flickers" light that the IR receiver picks up. My solution was to cover most of the front of the IR Receiver with electrical tape, enough to cut down interference and allow the signal from the remote to get through. Everything works perfectly now.

The red light on the IR receiver still flickers from the plasma interference, but significantly less and is nowhere near consistently RED like it was before.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
My IR receiver flickers its red light as if I have pushed a button on the remote, even when I haven't pushed a button. I read somewhere that it is related to it picking up flickering or some particular wavelength of light given off by the plasma display. However, my red light is not on constantly, and my remote still works fine despite the flickering red light, so I haven't really searched for a complete fix.

Good luck!

NS

edit: as others indicate, this is a common phenomenon with plasma tv's, but not usually catastrophic...
Try moving your IR receiver away from your plasma tv. Plasma tv's are notorious for interfering with IR transmissions.
Thanks.. i'll give it a shot and report back tonight.
Yes, prae5 is correct ... You do get a lot of interference with a plasma. I have a Pana plasma as well, moving the IR receiver further away from the plasma you will notice via the LED indicator that it will slowly flick the further you move it away.

As when phosphur is charged it will emit an IR signal ... You will notice this more when screens are lit ie. Bright whites.

So, moving it further away from the TV will be your best bet, unless you want to go all crazy and shield it.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Looks like the plasma signal was the case... but that HP IR receiver is either really, really sensitive or the plasma is firing everywhere.

I've moved the IR receiver all over the place, under, over, behind and it still flickers like crazy, but at least it flickers and isn't just solid red like before.

I'll figure something out.

Thanks again.
Some say a single layer of black electrical tape over the IR receiver will cut the IR storm down. This did not work for me and I had to replace my remote IR sensor with a plasma/lcd "safe" version. This worked like a champ.
davilla Wrote:Some say a single layer of black electrical tape over the IR receiver will cut the IR storm down.

This worked perfectly. I covered the front and now there's barely any flicker. THANKS!!!
davilla Wrote:Some say a single layer of black electrical tape over the IR receiver will cut the IR storm down. This did not work for me and I had to replace my remote IR sensor with a plasma/lcd "safe" version. This worked like a champ.

I am bringing back an old thread... but my Panasonic VT25 Plasmas is causing the same flicker with my HP IR receiver.

Could you please post a link to the "plasma safe" IR receiver you mention. Does this work with LIRC on XBMC Live as a plug-n-play MCE receiver for a Harmony?! The main reason I stuck with the HP eHome series was for that reason. Cool
Back in the day I used to work on a Telco's help desk for IPTV and internet services and this was a common problem with their Set Top Boxes. Putting a piece of clear scotch tape over the IR receiver often solved the problem and isn't very noticeable either (in case you don't want to make your IR receiver look cheap)... Hope it helps
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
Cool! Thanks for the tips... I tried to move the IR receiver around and it does not help much. So I can simply cover the front with clear tape and it will help (I wonder why this helps, does it block out the interference from the plasma TV by making some makeshift shielding?)...

Will this not affect the performance of my remote?!
bmcclure937 Wrote:Could you please post a link to the "plasma safe" IR receiver you mention. Does this work with LIRC on XBMC Live as a plug-n-play MCE receiver for a Harmony?! The main reason I stuck with the HP eHome series was for that reason. Cool

I'm also intrested!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Panasonic TV HDMI and HP IR Receiver conflict?0