• 12(current)
[RELEASE] iPhoto Plugin Addon for XBMC
No no, I didn't mean to just rename it. Somewhere in iPhoto/Aperture there is a way to set which library should be the "master" library. This needs to be iPhoto. According to the user that posted the two posts I directed you to, it didn't seem like he started over -- I got the impression he just changed a configuration parameter somewhere in iPhoto and/or Aperture.

Maybe by choosing File->Open In Aperture from within iPhoto?
Thanks! I actually don't understand very well the procedure they suggest. I have only one library and it works in both iPhoto and aperture. Only thing is, having created it in the first place with aperture I don't have the album data.xml file but instead I have an aperture data.xml. Although for aperture and iPhoto these are equivalent I guess for they plugin they are not and therefore it works only with libraries created with iphoto in the first place...
I don't really know to be honest. The guy in those posts I directed you to seemed to be able to switch between the two. I'll play with this some on my machine at work tomorrow and see if I can't figure it out for you.
As an experiment if I open aperture library with show package contents and change the name of aperture data.xml to albumdata.xml aperture opens it up fine, iPhoto too, but the plugin says, when scanning that he database is corrupt. I opened both an albumdata.xml from a newly created iPhoto library and an aperturedata.xml and they look identical, although the plugin does not parse aperturedAta.xml not even when it is renamed. It nags me because apple made the libraries compatible yet not identical, I think there is a solution at hand, but I can't see it! If you have any other input that would be much appreciated, but thank you very much in any case for your very kind and prompt attention!
I will figure it out for you tomorrow. I'm just kinda too tired tonight to go stashing my own libraries and making new ones to test this. It'll be easier for me to do at work tomorrow with libraries I don't really care about.

If I'm alert enough tomorrow (been a rough week is all), I may even just try to figure out how to import the Aperture library directly.. last time I looked at it I do remember some significant differences, but maybe that's changed with the recent updates to iPhoto and Aperture.

It certainly wouldn't be impossible anyway to support Aperture libraries, provided Apple exports the same information to the XML that they do for iPhoto. The hard part would be supporting the fact that Aperture can have multiple libraries, which isn't likely to happen any time soon due to the way the addon code is currently structured, so at least at first, you'd be limited to selecting just one.

Hang in there if you can. I will definitely have it working for you by the week's end, no question.
Too kind! Thank you so much!
Ok, it appears there is no one-click mechanism to convert an Aperture library to iPhoto's native format. The only way appears to be to recreate the library by hand in iPhoto, which you likely don't want to do.

So, I'd need to support Aperture's native library format in the addon to get it working for you. I think this should be doable. Will try to get it going over the weekend.
That is great, really, I am most grateful for the great work you are doing! I look forward to hear the news about the scraping of the aperture library!
Thanks!
I'm making a list of the differences now. There are some differences, but I think I can work through it. Stay tuned Smile
Making surprisingly good progress...! So far, Albums, Faces, and Places are working fine. Events ("Projects" in Aperture) show up, but don't yet contain any photos (matter of implementing it on my part).

Keywords don't work just as with iPhoto 9.4. Ratings don't work either, and won't in the first release (they moved somewhere else, just as Keywords did in iPhoto).

The plugin also detects which type of library it's importing and will choose the correct XML filename appropriately. So all you'll have to do is point it at the Aperture library path and go.

There's still a lot of testing and regression testing to do, but I'm confident I can finish it by the weekend.
That's incredible thank you so much! Count on me for testing and feedback if you need!
I will indeed be sending you a test version before I release it Smile
Beta version ready for ya Smile

Grab 2.0.0b1 here and use the "Install from ZIP file" function in XBMC.

If it doesn't work for you, please remember to send me the debug log.
I can't believe it! Took a while to import all 7000+ geotagged pics but man! It works a charm!! Fantastic, thank you so much!
Awesome, I'm glad it's working for you. I'm going to finish testing and clean up a few things this weekend. 2.0.0 should be out soon thereafter.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPhoto Plugin Addon for XBMC1