After Cyrstalbuntu completly change faq?
Hi everyone,

i tested the Crystalbuntu USB Image succesfully with a USB Stick.
For me , it is smoother than the MAC(OS) Version.

Now i want to have directly ubuntu on the internal disk without using a usb stick and without the mac(OS) on it.

Does it exists a faq which is easy to install like the crystalbuntu installation?
Yes, there is faq how to install it on internal hd in this thread [AppleTV] Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image

0. most importan - if You want to revert all!! You have to make backup of your internal hd (try to use faq from wiki)
next
1. boot atv from USB - easy
2. dd image file to internal hd (/dev/sda) - easy if You have 16gb pendrive if not, you should mount some NFS resources with this img file
3. change com.apple.boot.plist (to /dev/sdaX not /dev/sdbX) - it easy if you don't have permission problems Smile (sometime happend)
4. reboot without USB it should boot from hd Wink
thanks for your help Smile

i know the " [AppleTV] Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image" thread and i know that in this thread you often find this question and a a request for a noob faq Wink, but i did not find the noob faq on the 68 sites... Wink

to your steps:

2 -"dd image file to internal hd (/dev/sda) - easy if You have 16gb pendrive if not, you should mount some NFS resources with this img file"

what you mean here? do i have to copy the image file to internal drive?
i have a 16gb pendrive with crstalbuntu on it..
i try to explain:
you have to put linux image on to internal hd, so you can do that using dd, but you can't do that on live/working system so first you have to boot your atv from usb

so when you boot atv from usb you can do whatever you want with your internal drive, so you can write on it linux... so all you need is to do # dd if=linux_image.img of=/dev/sda bs=4096
so if you have 8gb pendrive it isn't enough space to put on it linux and linux_image.img file, then you need nfs_mount_point or you can try dd if=/dev/sdb of/dev/sda bs=4096 but it is not recommended Smile
thanks for your support,

i get it to work now after several hours in reading....

i'm wondering why it does not exist an image where i can do the recovering of my internal hdd.. to create the recovery stick coast me a lot of time, because of compiling problems.......
I plan to create a backup and restore utility for the AppleTV some time
wojo Wrote:0. most importan - if You want to revert all!! You have to make backup of your internal hd (try to use faq from wiki)
next
1. boot atv from USB - easy
2. dd image file to internal hd (/dev/sda) - easy if You have 16gb pendrive if not, you should mount some NFS resources with this img file
3. change com.apple.boot.plist (to /dev/sdaX not /dev/sdbX) - it easy if you don't have permission problems Smile (sometime happend)
4. reboot without USB it should boot from hd Wink

How do you get the image to the USB to later dd the image?
I am coming from a windows system and have no problem getting atv booting from the USB...

Thanks in advance! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After Cyrstalbuntu completly change faq?0