general help (new to pc build) questions
Hello everyone !

I have been using xbmc on my old xbox for quite some time but not fully indepth as some might use it but now i have it running on my laptop via hdmi and want to get a similar setup as i had with my xbox ,example would be loads of pc emulators mainly and some of my fav pc games ,but would also like to try some new features if they exist like possibly integrated messenger or web browser ?

Questions (if i may ask )

can i setup pc emulators including segasaturn/dreamcast to run with isos automounted and running clean without errors

is there a better way to add emulators,windows programs and pc games to xbmc than (launcher) seems a bit fiddly to setup and emulators like n64 and others do not seem to load roms up properly and in other cases roms seem to loadup without an emulator cfg that was previously setup via the emulator ,example full screen settings and so on.

what options are available for integrated software like web browsers messenger clients and youtube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
could someone explain to me the difference of plugins ,scripts and then the video/sound/apps plugins and scripts ,are they all the same thing ? very confusing tbh ,what is the purpose of scripts and like wise plugins ,if i want to simply add new software like youtube or a web browser what do i look for ? a script or a plugin or do i need both Huh there seems to be many ways to install stuff.

finally ,i am a bit confused about the current state of xbmc and it's naming for pc,linux-ubuntu osx xbox and so on ,they all seem to be called xbmc apart from i think linux build is called xbmc live ? i am running xbmc on windows and i would like to know if plugins/scripts run through all avail versions of xbmc or if i need windows versions.

as you might think i want to use xbmc for windows mostly for gaming and music,movie collection ,are there any alternitives that might be better ? or can xbmc do the job nice without too much background windows getting in the way as i am also willing to drop windows fully in favour of a closed off system running like that of xbmc for xbox.

thanks for your time in reading all that

Paddy
btw forgot to say ,all or any help would be really appreciated ! i have already looked through the tutorials section upto page 9 and didn't find anything on emulation but i have read through another emulation thread just now and that answers quite a few questions already ,i will overlook the tutorial on how to install stuff to xbmc windows as it was the directories that i found a bit of a puzzle to deal with (why are there so many different directories?)

anyway ,didnt have all the time in the world to reserch it all but i will (do it myself) cheers
paddyboy Wrote:finally ,i am a bit confused about the current state of xbmc and it's naming for pc,linux-ubuntu osx xbox and so on ,they all seem to be called xbmc apart from i think linux build is called xbmc live ? i am running xbmc on windows and i would like to know if plugins/scripts run through all avail versions of xbmc or if i need windows versions.

as you might think i want to use xbmc for windows mostly for gaming and music,movie collection ,are there any alternitives that might be better ? or can xbmc do the job nice without too much background windows getting in the way as i am also willing to drop windows fully in favour of a closed off system running like that of xbmc for xbox.

thanks for your time in reading all that

Paddy

Alot of questions, but this is the one I best can answer.

XBMC is in 3 versions (go to wiki and read!!!) roughly.

First is regular XBMC that can be installed on your operatingsystem (linux, windows, apple).

2nd version is XBMC live and is a complete system without a desktop.
XBMC live is mostly used by people who wants a easy setup and fast boot.
Downside is that it is based on linux, so you will have to learn to operate linux to install launcher ect. There are alot of guides, but still it requires work.

3rd version is nightlies. These are beta versions of upcoming releases. At the moment it is XBMC 10.05 (dharma). They have bugs, but show all the new things.

All plugins works across platforms (different install though), unless otherwise is told. But we are in a transit period! XBMC is soon releasing the new version of XBMC, so alot of plugin developers are waiting for this.

I think you should stick to XBMC windows and perhaps try the Dharma XBMC. It works great without to many bugs, but there can be some trouble with plugins.
http://www.yodo.dk/ is my small site were I write guides and news in danish about XBMC and HTPC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
general help (new to pc build) questions0