XBMC Compatible Set Top Box?
I'm looking to outfit many TVs in my house with XBMC streaming videos from my NAS. It would cost me about $350 to build each mini pc. I am wondering if there are any set top boxes that would be compatible with XBMC via flashing? Like Western Digital's WD Live HD or a cheaper View-Sonic or Briteview set top?

Any suggestions or experience?

btw: since the XBMC team killed the xbox as a development platform, maybe these set-top boxes should be a new target?
not enough gpu ooomph on any of them. and they all rely on undocumented hw decoders. don't hold your breath.
Cheapest option solution is single core ion based unit. You can pick up the single core acer revo for under $200.

Nothing stopping you using xbox's just don't expect hd content playback or latest and greatest features.
They say they can output 1080p, there has got to be something there for the gpu good enough for 1080p video. Which I'm sure would be good enough for XBMC since it seems like a pretty light installation.
rynet91 Wrote:They say they can output 1080p, there has got to be something there for the gpu good enough for 1080p video. Which I'm sure would be good enough for XBMC since it seems like a pretty light installation.

Outputting video, decoding video, rendering gui are all very different things. Add into the mix closed source decoders and non documented api's and its not worth the effort of the dev's to waste their time on it when there is much easier platforms to work with.

As stated already, single core ion is currently cheapest hardware available or dualcore if you opt to run windows.
Best option is Boxee box which is expected to be less than $200 and will xbmc support.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Boxee Box is best option in the long run, wont be out till late this year though.

The GoogleTV might be a promising alternative, uses x86 Intel CE4100 chip which might work with XBMC but the STB's are not out yet so who knows if they will be suitable. They could very well turn out not to be.

There was another item called the NUU Player a clone of the AppleTV but using Intel Atom CPU and Nvidia Ion, was even demoed at CES but never heard from since. It could run Boxee or XBMC too (linux was underlying OS) their website recently went live and has more details but no actual launch dates.
XBMC Live or Ubuntu Minimal on a Revo 1600 or 3610 (roughly $200 and $325, respectively). Use a low-impact skin if you choose the 1600 and get a shared database running.
there's also another box called the yuixx which will have the ce3100 but is turning into vapourware. But sigma recently released a new chip that I believe will fill the requirements to get a port of xbmc but its has no offical box yet. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sigma-Desi...l?x=0&.v=1
Ion is the way to go.. picked up a used Revo 1600 for $130.
Jayhovah Wrote:Ion is the way to go.. picked up a used Revo 1600 for $130.

$130! Where can you get it for that cheap? The cheapest I've seen it is $175
xm41907 Wrote:$130! Where can you get it for that cheap? The cheapest I've seen it is $175

Behold the power of craigslist. He had it listed for $175.. I talked to him and I was still thinking I should just spring for the 3610, so he lowered to $150.. I still said no, then decided to text him the next morning to see if he would do $130, went and picked it up right then.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Compatible Set Top Box?0