Fastest booting OS for XBMC
I have an Xbox with XBMC and it has always been a great combination.
Because of x264 I need to change my hardware.
I have an AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ with 4Gb DDR2 RAM and a Geforce 6800Ultra at my disposal. I have also a Dolby Digital Live soundcard so I'm kinda stuck with Windows. But I'm willing to make sacrifices if necessary.
Does anyone know a fast booting OS for XBMC that comes near the boot time of an Xbox?

Thanks in advance
get a Solid state hard drive to boot the OS and your Golden. I'd run Linux over Windows but thats just me.

-=Jason=-
ditto
SSD is not a direct option
Linux is.
I wanted to mention that if your computer supports S3 (Standby) you can use that option to power down and it only takes about 2-3 seconds to start back up. Also, S3 standby is takes very little power so, it won't increase your energy bill. Thats what I use for my HTPC. Also, depending on your remote control setup you can have your remote put your computer in standby and take it out of standby.

Just a thought.
DragonZeal Wrote:SSD is not a direct option
Linux is.

Too bad. An SSD really speeds up the boot process.
Ain't that the truth. Totally blown away with how much a SSD improves the total experience.
SSD my next upgrade when I get an extra Benjamen to spend

-=Jason=-
I was reading about SSDs and man it can get complicated... From what Ive read the CF cards are faster than SSD cards in general, so CF cards should be used unless you are getting a large SSD and want a true SS hard drive. Two questions:

1) The CF to IDE converters are cheap, but does it matter what converter you get (ie does it affect speed?)? I read somewhere that you need a DMA capable converter but then somewhere else I read that the converters dont do anything at all, you just need a DMA/UDMA card.
2) Any recommendations for an 8GB 200x+ CF card that would work well for an AppleTV? I read a few places that not all cards will work as internal drives because you cant get them to show up as 'fixed disks' as opposed to 'removable disks'.
ureadahead improves boot time and so does using ANY OS in a minimal install flavour, my favourite and most working is minimal karmic + script on my sig.
Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest booting OS for XBMC0