Buffering for weaker network connections. Youtube style
I was wondering for us that dont have network cable running to our box if a better buffering could be done, even if it means the movie takes a few minutes to start because its buffering (like netflix streaming) but that it recognizes its going to choak and freeze while playing the movie and instead it buffers it and works its way ahead like youtube when you hit pause and it loads the video and then you wont run into feezing and skipping. I run into alot of freezing when playing HD content because my Ethernet over Powerline cant keep up. Either a better buffer or an adjustable one would probably fix this.
if your network can't keep up, a buffer won't help either. it won't be able to fill that buffer any faster than the playing one.
spiff Wrote:if your network can't keep up, a buffer won't help either. it won't be able to fill that buffer any faster than the playing one.
That doesn't sound right. Most content utilizes vbr. A buffer would help for the peaks.
sure, it can kill off some peaks and stuff but at the end of the day, if your uplink is too slow, any amount of buffering cannot remedy the those limits. and fyi we do buffer quite a lot in xbmc, about 5mb memory buffer on the input side and up to 100 decoded audio/video frames.
More exactly, we buffer 8 seconds of data nowadays for video playback. Until somebody get around to rewriting the file based cache system to not throw away buffered data on seeks (and support using multiple http readers), this isn't likely to change anytime soon.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering for weaker network connections. Youtube style0