[REQUEST] Categories Plugin
Hello Folks,

I have a request to make - I am looking for a feature like this in skins since I first installed XBMC. Unfortunately I have 0 coding experience in python and also very little time.

My problem: I have a vast movie collection which I want to seperate in several parts. For example, Pixar movies are mixed with hardcore Splatter.

I want my gf to use and enjoy my xbmc as much as I do, but I would like to make a "special" selection for her like "girls-movies" so she doesn't have to browse my collection and skip so many movies she would never watch. Same applies for my young nephew.

It IS possible to do some separation using smart playlists. Also Playlists would fill my needs. What I could do now is create some playlists and access them in xbmc, but for my feeling this is a very "complicated" way with a low SAF (Spouse acceptance factor).

Many skins (Alaska Revisited, Night) have the option to put plugins directly on the home screen. From my point of view, it would be perfect to have a plugin which lists Playlists, Smartlists and Sources (For Documentaries, for example) here. You could name this plugin "Categories".

Does anyone like this idea?
Everything can be added to main menu: A folder (through Favorites menu), a smart list for HD Movies, another one for animations and so on. If you want all that in one place, you can add that files, folders etc to Favorites menu (and make sure that Favorites will be showed in Main Menu). All that you described in the post above CAN be done now without any other plugin, script etc.
Quote:If you want all that in one place, you can add that files, folders etc to Favorites menu (and make sure that Favorites will be showed in Main Menu)

I agree, but it's just not that pretty (from looks and logics). With a plugin like this, you could assign pictures to the categories which would enhance the experience.

Right now I would really like to use alaska, because it's just a plain great and beautiful skin. AFAIK you cannot add custom home menu buttuns, just home submenus. I would like to go to the video-button, press down, choose categories and be able to select my desired categorie from a list (or else) with some nice presentation.

Sure, your way works too but I think it would be a pretty neat feature in a software which is so much about perfection.
Point taken. Besides, if it's done through a plugin, people who don't need that feature(s), can ignore it. Wink
*bump* Maybe some more input on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Categories Plugin0