"Failed to Initialize Audio Device"
Hi,

I have just set up my HTPC and have been testing things out. It works great for my MP3s and all XBMC sound effects work fine. Its a Windows 7 x64 PC connected to my stereo receiver via HDMI.

I just started trying to get my Videos to work. I basically rip my DVDs into ISO files and share them. I got the scraping to work just fine, and my Videos Library seems to work OK as well. However when I go to PLAY the movie, initially I get an "Failed to Initialize Audio Device" error, but the video plays just fine.

Here is something stranger: In at least one of these DVD files, I get that error when I first click on the movie. However, when it gets to the DVD MENU the music plays for the DVD Menu. Then I start the movie....and I get the error again and get no sound.

So I'm not sure why it doesnt work on the audio of my Video/ISO files but audio works on all other parts of XBMC.

Ideas? Thanks!
*bump*

Can anyone comment on this error? I even installed the K-Lite Codec pack and am still getting no audio during my DVD ISO playback. Menus seem to work OK, but the movie itself doesn't.

Haven't seen anything on this in the FAQ or WIKI either.

Thanks
I only get that error when I'm trying to play multi-track audio (i.e. DTS) when my system sound is set to "Speakers", which means analog, 2-channel out. The fix is to change your default system sound setting to the digital output though your computer's audio manager.

I continually switch between Speakers and Digital Output, so I use AutoHotKey scripts to make it easy. See Thread.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
Installing any codec pack won't have any effect - as XBMC uses its own proprietary codecs - just a heads up. Know it doesn't help with the problem, but you can count that out as either a cause or remedy.
curtis-r Wrote:I only get that error when I'm trying to play multi-track audio (i.e. DTS) when my system sound is set to "Speakers", which means analog, 2-channel out. The fix is to change your default system sound setting to the digital output though your computer's audio manager.

I continually switch between Speakers and Digital Output, so I use AutoHotKey scripts to make it easy. See Thread.

So this may be the issue. This PC will only be used for Home Theater, so MP3s and DVD formats, and always output digital to my receiver. So I think I want this set to Digital Output 100% of the time.

Now I default Windows 7 sound driver is a RealTek driver, and I see its set for DTS and related options. However, my ATI Video Card (which has HDMI Out) has its HDMI Audio only supporting 2 channel stereo. Since this PC is connected via HDMI to the receive, I think this means its only passing 2 channels via HDMI and that's the issue.

So the question is, how do I correct it so the HDMI supports the 5.1? Right now, its not a selectable option in Windows.

Or, do I select RealTek and it will still manage to output that sound via HDMI?

Thanks!
OK changing the output to the RealTek doesnt help as I think that only outputs via the Motherboard Speaker output, and not the HDMI on the Video card. So I somehow need to get the HDMI output video card to support 5.1. Ideas?

EDIT - I may be onto something with RealTek and an HDMI driver that works with the ATI soundcard. Will see if that helps.
OK I Got this licked. Thanks guys for the help. The Audio driver gave me a good place to start. It was a combination of disabling the onboard audio (which was also realtek) and getting the correct ATI Audio Driver for the HDMI (via Realtek).

Its working great now!
recoil Wrote:OK I Got this licked. Thanks guys for the help. The Audio driver gave me a good place to start. It was a combination of disabling the onboard audio (which was also realtek) and getting the correct ATI Audio Driver for the HDMI (via Realtek).

Its working great now!

Can you provide a step-by-step set of instructions on how you solved this? A link to the download page for the correct HDMI driver would be great too. Thanks.
Yes, please. I am having the exact same issue right now. Though blurays in MPC-HC bitstream just fine...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Failed to Initialize Audio Device"0