Really strange problem: Cannot remove 3rd hdd
Guys, I have been trying to shuffle some harddrives around to build a server for xbmc.

I wanted to remove this old crappy hard drive from an existing computer, but I am not able to do so without messing things up. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have three hard drives attached to my computer with XP. First two are SATA, the third one is an older, smaller 80gb IDE (OS is on the first SATA drive). I shut down, removed the third drive, and restarted. Then whenever I tried to access the second hard drive, it caused explorer window to freeze, it wouldn't close (I had to "end task")and the computer wouldn't shut down properly. It got stuck at the "Shutting down" message.
Then (out of curiosity) I removed the second hard drive and left only the first (the one with the OS), but this time the comp wouldn't even boot. It didn't recognize the drive. Right now, the only way everything works is if all three are hooked up.

Why are these drives connected to each other in that weird way, that whenever I unplug one, it messes up the previous one?

This computer used to have only the first drive, then I added the second, and some time later the third. The third one currently is freshly formatted. So there are no system files or anything on there. About the second one, I am not sure if I installed some programs on that one instead of on the C:, but I don't think I did.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions?

Thanks

Btw, the board is an ECS nForce4-A754

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really strange problem: Cannot remove 3rd hdd0