[Android remote] "Connection stay alive" feature
Well, long story short. For some reason my phone (x10i) "freezes" the wlan connection while using the XBMC-remote. Basicly i start to watch movie, after ~5mins the remote stops responding and i need to turn the wlan feature off, wait moment, turn the wlan on, restart the XBMC-remote and then it works few mins again...

So, i was thinking if you could add some "connection keep alive" function, that pings the server every minute as long as the xbmc-remote is running, that would prevent the connection from freezing.

Had pretty much similar problem whit my mediapc, and made .bat that constantly pings my router, and that sorted out the problem.
The actual problem is that when sceen goes off, the phone enters stand-by mode where WiFi is disabled.

I've seen this on my X10 mini also.

There is an awsome app that can keep the screen on of any apps that you define, keeping thus WiFi going.

It's called keepscreen, it's on the Market for free Nod
pinging every minute would cause significant drain on battery though. And is very frowned upon by android masters Smile

A network ping can cause sync to happen (since network is already open) and stuff could pile on like crazy.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
birbilakos Wrote:The actual problem is that when sceen goes off, the phone enters stand-by mode where WiFi is disabled.

I've seen this on my X10 mini also.

There is an awsome app that can keep the screen on of any apps that you define, keeping thus WiFi going.

It's called keepscreen, it's on the Market for free Nod

Hmm, need to check that one out... Could be since when the phone is hooked to charger (and the screen stays on) the connection wount drop...

Tho, there is setting for "WiFi power save (defines when the WLAN is dropped to 3g) " whit options "When screen goes off (default), never while charging and never (currently in use) but for some reason, it makes no differense...

But, i try that keepscreen, hope that it will do the trick Smile

Thanks for awnsers...

Topfs2:

Well, now i can admid that i got no clue abaut that... Just had thought that it could do the trick... My mediapc used to drop the connection, so that i couldnt connect to it by XBMC-remote, or VNC, it also dropped the the machine out from windows file sharing, stopped responsing to ping's... But, mean while torrents, browsers etc worked like a charm.

The things sorted when i made the .bat to start whit windows, the .bat was originaly made to force those mobile 3g modems to keep the HSDPA connection alive (they usualy drop it if there is few sec's inactivity, and draining it back up takes ~5sec's -> huge ping's on online games)

So, i guessed that same thingie could work whit the remote Smile
there is a way to keep the wifi alive even when the phone goes into standby on the winmo platform but I'm not too sure how its done on android.. need to look into it.
There are a few apps which supposedly keep Wifi active with the screen off. I'm not really bothered by the current Android method so I haven't tried them.

Check the market or xda developers for how to do it.
Well, the "Keepscreen" didnt do the trick...

Still after few mins the connection drops, in order to regain it, you need to turn the wlan off and then back on...
Carl0s Wrote:Well, the "Keepscreen" didnt do the trick...

Still after few mins the connection drops, in order to regain it, you need to turn the wlan off and then back on...

That's strange. For me it keeps my mini's screen and hence WiFi on and does the trick.

Maybe it's an X10 related issue. Did you try getting the latest firmware installed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Android remote] "Connection stay alive" feature0