context menu spacing
I'm actually using a grouplist for this now filled with the info from the buttons; I've also solved the alignment problem using the origin positions based on whether certain buttons are visible or not.

Having said that, a proper grouplist would be welcome.
Jezz_X Wrote:I'm more than happy with that solution the only other issue we had was too many items needing scrolling like in hitchers screenshot but the eden code has already removed a heap of those buttons
After few thoughts: IMO problem here is amount of items rather than lack of scrolling ability. If context menu is growing too big then IMO it need to be redesigned somehow - I think that all available options should be visible without scrolling ... I hope that after post-dharma context menu cleaning this is no longer issue?

Hitcher Wrote:I'm actually using a grouplist for this now filled with the info from the buttons; I've also solved the alignment problem using the origin positions based on whether certain buttons are visible or not.

Do You need grouplist to achieve something more than <itemgap>? Allowing to set itemgap (without grouplist, as said in post #14) would work for You?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
Hitcher Wrote:I'm actually using a grouplist for this now filled with the info from the buttons; I've also solved the alignment problem using the origin positions based on whether certain buttons are visible or not.

but do you really need a grouplist or would you rather just set the button gap ?
Actually you're both right, allowing us to set the item gap would remove the need for me to use a grouplist.

Thanks.
From a code perspective utilizing a grouplist seems a much easier way to go - it already handles all the navigation between controls and spacing of buttons etc so most of the UI-specific stuff in the contextmenu dialog can be ripped out. All we need is the sizing of the backdrop as already occurs. That can also be done with a single image rather than 3 I believe, thus ripping out even more code (easier for you guys as well - no need for 3 controls and 3 textures).

As far as I can tell there's no disadvantage to using a grouplist and a single image for the background.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

heh, I must say I was little lost here

Jezz_X: now I think I got what You meant - if we will have grouplist nothing will stop You from putting CloseDialog button somewhere there (as in any other .xml). Idea is that only 2 controls would be hard coded - grouplist for buttons and background that would stretch to cover grouplist area. You are free to add any other controls (just hope I won't see any flying pink rectangles there!)
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

If there would be a grouplist, it would be nice if we could set a fixed max height for the context menu so that the list will scroll if there are too many elements.
plan is to add <height min="xx" max="xx">auto</height> (and same with width) to grouplist - it will benefit more areas

Update - from next nightly:
<height min="xx" max="xx">auto</height> (and same with width) was added to grouplist. In fact <height>XX</height> is just shortcut to <height min="0" max="XX">auto</height> (this is important in context menu because using <height>xx</height> will limit height of grouplist to that value)

See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/448cc1...xtMenu.xml how new context menu dialog *should* look like.

Of course You can still use old way - but this is depracated and will propably be removed after eden - so if You're creating new skin - go with new way.

Not necessarily related to context menu - Could you use just "auto" in a grouplist, without defining MIN and MAX i.e. Will grouplist auto calculate height based on number of visible items and their height?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

If you have e.g. <height min="60" max="420">auto</height>, button height 60px and there are 4 buttons in the grouplist, the grouplist will have a height of 240px and will be centered within the dimensions of the background image.
pieh Wrote:if we will have grouplist nothing will stop You from putting CloseDialog button somewhere there (as in any other .xml). Idea is that only 2 controls would be hard coded - grouplist for buttons and background that would stretch to cover grouplist area. You are free to add any other controls (just hope I won't see any flying pink rectangles there!)

Only just got around to changing my Context Menu but I've run into a problem.

I've have the 'Close' button at the bottom of the list but placing it after the default button control in the grouplist doesn't then place it after the buttons as I would have expected. Instead it's being placed in front of them.

EDIT: Images added.

Previously -

Now -

@Hitcher
We didn't exactly check where template button is - we simply were adding buttons to the list. 277fc2f4 fixes this - hopefully it will be backported to eden.

Many thanks.
As reported in GitHub the default control seems to be hard-coded to button 1000 which means any added buttons that appear at the top of the grouplist are by-passed in favour of this button.

Either the default control should be changed to the actual grouplist or it should be left up to the skinner via 'default control'.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
context menu spacing0