[MAC] Problems reading USB drive (for media)
G'day,

Apologies if this has been asked but I didn't see it.

I have a MacBook (13" plastic unibody) and installed XBMC (latest stable 9.11 R26018) without a hitch. I used it to play media from the hard drive, a USB drive and a CD all without a problem.

Until I moved a bunch of Movies to a 750Gb external drive I just got and tried to use it. The drive shows up but with no media on it. I can read and write to the drive but nothing shows up.

One catch maybe that it is formatted as NTFS (again I do have read/write access and it works everywhere else (VLC etc.)). Is there any technical reasons why this might not work. I have copied files off the drive onto my local hard drive and other USB drive (formatted as FAT32 fwiw) and they work in either of those locations.

Any clues (or suggestions on what to look for in logs etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rich
You could try looking at xbmc.log. It might be worth turning on debug logging first (Settings, System, Debugging) to get a bit more detail. In unix the log is in $home/.xbmc. I don't know you'd find it on a Mac.

JR
-rich- Wrote:G'day,

Apologies if this has been asked but I didn't see it.

I have a MacBook (13" plastic unibody) and installed XBMC (latest stable 9.11 R26018) without a hitch. I used it to play media from the hard drive, a USB drive and a CD all without a problem.

Until I moved a bunch of Movies to a 750Gb external drive I just got and tried to use it. The drive shows up but with no media on it. I can read and write to the drive but nothing shows up.

One catch maybe that it is formatted as NTFS (again I do have read/write access and it works everywhere else (VLC etc.)). Is there any technical reasons why this might not work. I have copied files off the drive onto my local hard drive and other USB drive (formatted as FAT32 fwiw) and they work in either of those locations.

Any clues (or suggestions on what to look for in logs etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rich

Are you in Library or file mode ?
@jhsrennie - Will turn on the logging (haven't as yet).
@davilla - I am in file mode. I tried to trick it into working by asking it to scan that folder but it was not fooled :-)

I probably should have pointed out that it before I got this USB drive I was just reading off my network (SMB) which has all the same content and it works fine. I got the USB for when I travel so worse case I can copy the media I want to watch to the local hard drive, its more that I want to know why - I have been using xbmc since xbmp and its stupidly awesome, its never missed a beat so I am pretty sure this is something I have done. Guessing its related to the NTFS partition (the FAT32 USB drive works just fine) but would like to know for sure.

OK off to experiment with logging.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Problems reading USB drive (for media)0