Acer Revo 1600 adding memory benifits?
Adding memory to this unit will change what in running XBMC Live? Running 2 of these units in my house with good 1080p playback. This is one of those it ain't broke don't fix it questions for me but if it is a good positive for the added cost then I'll go for it.
Thank you all for your past and future help...
Chris
If you are able to get your 1080p to play with only the 1gig of memory available when you buy the system, and you are running live, then there's probably no real advantage to adding the extra gig. The primary purpose of bumping up to 2 gigs is to add shared video memory to the video card, to better support high bitrate video. But if your computer is already handling all your high bitrate video, then there's no need to add more memory.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking also.
Fwiw, I had thought about doing this on my revo 1600 when I was running 9.04 but since I updated to 9.11 I haven't found a video that my system struggles on. The same 1080p videos that were once unplayable are now smooth as butter. I'm guessing all the proponents of the 2gb upgrade were on 9.04 at the time.
Would adding more memory allow you to dedicate more to hardware acceleration and therefore use more advanced deinterlacing and upscaling methods? I know when using mythtv for live TV playback I am only able to use bob deinterlacing without experincing stuttering. So the same question applies to xbmc, especially whenever the unified pvr front end is delivered.
All of my 1080p video playback is fine, but would adding another gig help with lag when scrolling through the movie covers?
OH Nasty Wrote:All of my 1080p video playback is fine, but would adding another gig help with lag when scrolling through the movie covers?

Nope.. I have 3gb in my 1600 and scrolling through movies the covers load kind of slow... From poking around the forum, it seems like if you change all the art to .bmp format that might speed things up, but I am too lazy to do all of that.

Anyone know if there is a script to do it for you?

As for playback, it was also unaffected by the added memory, but I also use my 1600 to handle torrents and NAS duties in the background, and those processes seemed to have gained quite a bit of performance with the added memory.
If you are using a newish build of xbmc adding this to your AdvancedSettings.xml will make fan art appear instantly, and yes i do use a Revo.

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Copy and paste this into notepad and save as type "all files" AdvancedSettings.xml.

Place into C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

It converts the tbn files to dds as you browse the library plus any further additions you add along the way, the files are larger like 2-3 times the size but the speed gains make it feel more like a quad core pc Laugh
sedj Wrote:If you are using a newish build of xbmc adding this to your AdvancedSettings.xml will make fan art appear instantly, and yes i do use a Revo.

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Copy and paste this into notepad and save as type "all files" AdvancedSettings.xml.

It converts the tbn files to dds as you browse the library plus any further additions you add along the way, the files are larger like 2-3 times the size but the speed gains make it feel more like a quad core pc Laugh
Gonna try that when I get home, thanks for the info.
Save the money on RAM, and put it into a SSD....

sedj Wrote:If you are using a newish build of xbmc adding this to your AdvancedSettings.xml will make fan art appear instantly, and yes i do use a Revo.

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Dont you have to created the DDS files manually?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo 1600 adding memory benifits?0