Library mode showing multiple spellings for same artists.
This has me quite baffled. My library mode looks like this:

Goo Goo Dolls
The Goo Goo Dolls
Gregory & the Hawk
Gregory And The Hawk
Guns 'n Roses
Guns 'N' Roses
Guns N' Roses

Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

All of these files are correctly tagged, with the same tag. (Goo Goo Dolls, Guns N' Roses, Gregory & the Hawk, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the intended ones)

In each case, the incorrect spellings have only a couple of albums under them when clicked, while the correct one will have ALL of them, even the ones with incorrect spelling; and the "artist" column shows the incorrect spelling.

I have checked the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags, to no avail. I've removed the source and re-scanned them into the library using a different scraper (Allmusic the first time, Last.fm for the second attempt.) The file-name scheme is identical on all of them (/Music/Artist/Album/Track#. Title.mp3).

I'm flummoxed.
XBMC only gets them from the tags, so your tags are definitely wrong. This is usually due to silly tag software that ignores some of the tags that are likely there.

Use something like foobar2000 or Mediamonkey to look at the tags.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sigh. Well, that worked. MediaMonkey loaded up and showed me the "album artist" field full of incorrect entries, despite three other programs showing it as empty.

Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library mode showing multiple spellings for same artists.0