• 1(current)
XBMC on new GeForce 320M unibody Mac Minis
Has anybody tried this combo out yet? It's got an HDMI port in the back for hooking up to the home theater, and the new stronger video card.

I would think that this would be able to handle any content out there, including 1080p, running XBMC, but anyone have any experience?

Also, any tutorials or guides on getting it up and running with XBMC?
See this thread about hardware video decoding on the HDMI mac mini. Some reported problems with H264 playback (on OSX 10.6.4 if I remember rightly, using 10.6.3 seems to be fine). Note that the "old" Mac Mini running Snow Leopard with the nVidia 9400M card can also playback 1080p bluray stuff no problem (including 10.6.4) as that is also compatible with the hardware decoding. Honestly, its totally awesome Cool
Ouch, well there goes my plans of using my new Mac Mini as a media center with XBMC =(

Fingers crossed this gets resolved in the near future!
manekineko Wrote:Ouch, well there goes my plans of using my new Mac Mini as a media center with XBMC =(

Fingers crossed this gets resolved in the near future!

Might try reading the thread, if you stick with the shipped 10.6.3 OSX version, it seems to work fine. It's only when updating to the 10.6.4 update that goofy things happen.
davilla Wrote:Might try reading the thread, if you stick with the shipped 10.6.3 OSX version, it seems to work fine. It's only when updating to the 10.6.4 update that goofy things happen.

Still, we need to track this down. The new mac mini is just too expensive to *only* use for xbmc, and thus to feel that leaving the machine held back at 10.6.3 is an acceptable solution. In my case, it was bought with the intention of *also* using it for EyeTV and for iTMS-bought content (with switching between the three seamlessly via remote left as a problem for the future) *and*, being the Server edition, to be used for server-ish things.

I have a 10.6.3 and a 10.6.4 installation side-by-side on my machine just for testing this, but I don't know what to test next. Really need some guidance on what else to test for to narrow it down. The fact, for instance, that hardware accell still works using quicktime suggests a software fix is possible, that it might point to a suboptimal use of the VDADecoder API?

Also of course, a: this mac mini should be an ideal media player machine, so there'll be more and more people with this problem. And the slightly different versions of the mac mini 10.6.4 and that available for other macs are probably going to disappear with 10.6.5, at which point it's possible *everyone* will have this problem. And if it's a problem Apple needs to be told about to fix at their end, it would be best done before then, no? :-)

nb: what i just said about quicktime; that's worth testing out specifically. I have a memory of it playing videos that xbmc under dc:vda_h264 was struggling with, but I should check that more explicitly (given the patterns we've since seen on *which* files have a problem in xbmc). I'm afraid I don't know a way of definitively checking quicktime *is* using hardware accell other than watching cpu usage while it's doing so and hopefully seeing it's pretty low.
Until some XBMC dev gets one of the new MacMini's, it's going to be hard to track down, could be VDA, could also be OpenGL, could be many things.

I suspect that Apple has broked something with OpenGL while VDA is in use. Consider that only two Apps are currently using VDA and XBMC is one of them. Also consider that Apple will make sure that quicktime works fine with little regard to other usage.

This issue will eventually get resolve, either by XBMC doing something differently or Apple issuing another update. BTW, did you try the v1.1 version of the 10.6.4 server update ? That popped out a week ago. The other thing is to check for a "combo" downloadable update. I've seen the net update bork in the past and tend to only update via the "combo" update now.

There is a method to inform Apple of an issue (I'm an Apple Developer) but you can't just report that 10.6.4 update borked VDA playback in XBMC on the new MacMini. It's just too vague and Apple will ignore it. Apple might also get pissy about the fact that XBMC dyloads the VDA framework instead of static linking to it. I don't think that's the problem as the other App also has similar problems and it's static linked to the VDA framework.

EDIT: I don't see any issue with VDA under the 10.6.5 seeds and an nvidia macbook.
I thought i would chime in and say that XBMC works very well on my Mac Mini Server running 10.6.3. I won't update to 10.6.4 in case it breaks the setup. I haven't done much testing yet but VDA decoding works and I haven't noticed any issues with playback.
davilla Wrote:BTW, did you try the v1.1 version of the 10.6.4 server update ? That popped out a week ago. The other thing is to check for a "combo" downloadable update. I've seen the net update bork in the past and tend to only update via the "combo" update now.

I'll try that in the next day or so on my current 10.6.3 install and report it on the trac bug. Nearly 2am now, about to head bedwards. :-)
Rachel Wrote:I'll try that in the next day or so on my current 10.6.3 install and report it on the trac bug. Nearly 2am now, about to head bedwards. :-)

The 1.1 combo update refuses to install, saying only "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update" with no further explanation. The installer log just shows this six times:

Code:
Jul 29 19:04:41 madison Installer[1604]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: Result of expression 'my.target' [null] is not an object.

This applies both to the un-upgraded 10.6.3 install and the upgraded 10.6.4 install. (Tried pointing installer at both installs from within both running systems.)

My guess is, it still needs the mac mini 2010 specific update, which, as it's the *only* update yet to come out since this model appeared, is the only one available - no separate combi update. And I see no reason to believe the 10.6.4 (non-combo) update for mac mini mid-2010, itself dating to june 15, would be any different from the one you get over system update.

I guess the next thing is to wait for the 10.6.5 combo :-)
I opened a thread about the mac mini 2010 hardware accelaration issue with 10.6.4 directly in the apple forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...1&tstart=0

If you observe the same problem with your mac mini, please post in the above mentioned thread. i hope this makes it more likely that apple fixes this bug in an upcoming OS X service pack.

Cheers,

Chris
ix400 Wrote:I opened a thread about the mac mini 2010 hardware accelaration issue with 10.6.4 directly in the apple forums:

If you observe the same problem with your mac mini, please post in the above mentioned thread. i hope this makes it more likely that apple fixes this bug in an upcoming OS X service pack.

Cheers,

Chris

link corrected:

Hello,

I have read through this thread and seem to be having a unique situation with my recently purchased unibody mac min with the NVidia GEForce 320M WITH 10.6.4!

I have installed dharma and have no problems playing any video files (1080p, 720p ISOs etc). However, playing the same files in Plex .9 - video tearing, lagging and very choppy with even ISOs.

It's surprising that there are such different experiences with the same platform and software versions
sting2010 Wrote:Hello,

I have read through this thread and seem to be having a unique situation with my recently purchased unibody mac min with the NVidia GEForce 320M WITH 10.6.4!

I have installed dharma and have no problems playing any video files (1080p, 720p ISOs etc). However, playing the same files in Plex .9 - video tearing, lagging and very choppy with even ISOs.

It's surprising that there are such different experiences with the same platform and software versions

... and you have turned the hardware accelaration on? Did you install all the available updates?

Chris
ix400 Wrote:... and you have turned the hardware accelaration on? Did you install all the available updates?

Chris

All updates installed.

Yes, every option in Settings>Video>Playback is enabled and no issues. I'm using the HDMI connected to a Denon receiver. No playback issues with Dharma - only Plex.9.

I also have a unibody Macbook Pro and BOTH plex.9 and dharma play ALL videos perfectly - which is another surprise - Macbook Pro has NVidia 9400 GPU and running 10.6.4
sting2010 Wrote:Hello,

Don't make the mistake in assuming that XBMC and Plex use the same code for video decode or rendering. Plex's source code is about two years old from when they forked, with various cherry picks from XBMC source code.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on new GeForce 320M unibody Mac Minis0