Computer Boots windows with NO VIDEO CARD
Trying to fix and install xbmc on friends computer. I pluged the speakers in and it is booting windows, but there is no video and no POST.

Trying to figure out what was wrong I pulled all cards but video and it still booted windows with nothing on the screen. I then pulled the video card out and it still booted windows with NO VIDEO CARD INSTALLED. There is no onboard video!

I pullled a stick of ram and it beeped like it should, and did not boot windows obviously.

I know windows is booting because I happen to plug in the speakers and can here it starting.

Any suggestions as to what to do?
obviously the mainboard MUST have an IGP with dedicated video/VGA out that has just not been connected. check the BIOS and mainboard type via google. anyhow, without ANY hardware details provided by you, it's also obvious that we can't do anything more.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
HP Media Center M1280n all stock parts

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/produ...uct=443757

There does not appear to be any on-board video. I have removed every pci and the pci express video card. Also took out the battery.
look at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...=c00361570
it has integrated video card, and it has a vga connector, as far as i can see on the pictures, on the back
case closed! Big Grin
succo Wrote:look at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...=c00361570
it has integrated video card, and it has a vga connector, as far as i can see on the pictures, on the back

well, that had me smile a bit, thinking about how he was pulling apart every thinkable part of the system without recognizing the VGA out but at the same time being absolutely sure about what he was doing Cool

for people who find that thread via search function or google: a windows system WON'T boot at all when there's no graphics card present. when it is booting and you can't see shit, there is an integrated GPU available and you were just too dumb to see the VGA out port. NOW case closed Big Grin
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, that had me smile a bit, thinking about how he was pulling apart every thinkable part of the system without recognizing the VGA out but at the same time being absolutely sure about what he was doing Cool

for people who find that thread via search function or google: a windows system WON'T boot at all when there's no graphics card present. when it is booting and you can't see shit, there is an integrated GPU available and you were just too dumb to see the VGA out port. NOW case closed Big Grin

Good job poking fun, too bad HPs site has the wrong motherboard listed and there is no VGA port

Specifically this motherboard has a PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

The specifications on HPs site list integrated video but there is NO PORT.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...497&dlc=en

The Asus manual for what i think is the correct mother board lists no video card.

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/manual/pufferm_manual.pdf

The board reads PTGD-LA rev 1.01
So since you are so quick to make fun of me, perhaps you can tell me why I am so stupid and how to fix it?
you could try getting a less horrible computer.
See page 14 of the manual. Did you try that yet?

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
ok, so there is NO vga connector, but there is an IGP, as stated by the same specifications... to disable the IGP i guess you'll have to go through the bios and say that it's NEVER enabled (often motherboards with igp and pci-express have an options that says enable onboard video if there is nothing in the pci express slot)
if there is no such option in the bios, i would guess there must be a jumper on the board to disable/enable the igp
sorry for starting the joke, but it was really too inviting Smile
succo Wrote:ok, so there is NO vga connector, but there is an IGP, as stated by the same specifications... to disable the IGP i guess you'll have to go through the bios and say that it's NEVER enabled (often motherboards with igp and pci-express have an options that says enable onboard video if there is nothing in the pci express slot)
if there is no such option in the bios, i would guess there must be a jumper on the board to disable/enable the igp
sorry for starting the joke, but it was really too inviting Smile

Again the problem is the computer boots and runs windows, but there is no bios because there is never a point it out puts video. If it is in fact using an IGP there is no port and no jumpers!
From the mobo page you linked have you followed the instructions to clear the cmos?

what outputs does the video card have, have you tried other outputs to confirm same fault on all?

have you tested a different monitor/cable?

have yoiu tried creating a bootable floppy/usb drive to flash bios?

do you have access to another video card to test?

just to clarify if you here windows load your pc has completed POST and your system thinks you have a video card or the POST sequence could not had over to the boot loader to start windows.

the hp page spec says there is an integrated graphics controller, although output not provided and neither 915p or ich6 have an integrated graphics chip on intel specs, so either bios is incorrectly assigning video or your video card or monitor is failing.

If it's booting to windows you could also try connecting it to a network and RDP on to the system as admin to see what is showing in device manager for video.
http://www.dhgate.com/brand-new-asus-ptg...4660c.html

Looks like there is def a version without the vga connector. These photos are of the exact board listed as coming with the 1280n. Obviously there are quite a few variations of the PTGDLA series.

Could it be that the northbridge is actually a 915g and not a 915p?

In the end, what exactly is the point of all this? The board thinks it has video, so what?
Quote:In the end, what exactly is the point of all this? The board thinks it has video, so what?

Point is the PCI E video card is not outputting anything so I can't access the bios. Anyways im going to see if i can get some hands on a pci video card and see if that works.

Thanks for the RDP idea that might work. I put this aside for a few days as it is frustrating me. I will let you know if I am able to resolve the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Computer Boots windows with NO VIDEO CARD0