• 5(current)
Library not updating with Dharma trunk
Is 'fasthash' something new in Dharma? I'm noticing that too.
Code:
10:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1422004224   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir 'smb://SCMEDIA/Movies/' due to no change (fasthash)
My Tv Shows work, which is probably why I don't see the (fasthash) tag on the TV Shows line:
Code:
0:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1421955072   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No (new) information was found in dir smb://SCMEDIA/TV Shows/24/
10:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1421955072   DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://SCMEDIA/TV%20Shows/Family%20Guy
10:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1421955072   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No (new) information was found in dir smb://SCMEDIA/TV Shows/Family Guy/
10:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1421955072   DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://SCMEDIA/TV%20Shows/In%20Living%20Color
10:44:11 T:3027614576 M:1421828096   DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No (new) information was found in dir smb://SCMEDIA/TV Shows/In Living Color/

There's got to be a way to disable 'fasthash'.
Fasthash ONLY gets used if there are no folders in the directory. If there are folders in the directory then we don't use it.

So pop a folder in the directory and you'll be fine.

I've said this a million times. Unless a developer can reproduce, it will not be fixed. Get it reproducible on a sample filesystem that you can send to someone else so that they can also reproduce it. Until that happens nothing will be done.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I just tried dropping a folder called "test folder" within all my movie shares, I still get the "fasthash" skipping dir error. I even tried adding folders with fake movies, still no luck.

How to reproduce:
Create folder c:\movies
Create a junction "d:\movies" that points to "c:\movies"
add file "Avatar (2009).mkv"
(optionial create folder "Avatar (2009)" and drop the file there instead of directly in the share)
open xbmc
add share d:\movies
update lib
(it will add avatar (2009)
exit xbmc
add file "Blood Diamond (2006).mkv"
(optionial create folder "Blood Diamond (2006)" and drop the file there instead of directly in the share)
open xbmc
update lib

it will NOT find blood diamond, because the hash of the junction folder will be the same as the time/date you added the junction. Doesnt matter if you wait 10 days and add 500 movies, the hash of the junction is the same. This is why its happening in my setup, but I guess any enviroment where the hash doesnt change for some reason, will cause the same problem.

I 'have' to use junctions, with my movies spread over 10 HD's, Its a easy way to not have to share every HD on my server. Its also very flexible, if I move one of my shares, I just edit the junction, and the XBMC library doesnt know I moved 150 movies from one HD to another, since the path still is "d:\xvid\movies1\"
But since dharma beta2(?) and the fasthash thingy my new movies dont get detected, so I might have to consider sharing all 10 HD's Sad

I'm off to work now, but if I get the time after work today I'll setup a test enviroment and add debug logs for the steps above. And if you need anything or anything isnt clear enough, please tell me and Ill try to explain further =)
Darre Wrote:Create folder c:\movies
Create a junction "d:\movies" that points to "c:\movies"

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those junctions? Windows shortcuts? Mac & Linux symlinks? What happens if you add C:\ as source instead of this junction thing?

I'm just curious.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Im not quite sure how we are meant to make it reproduceable when were not even sure what is causing it.

In my early posts I provided as much info as I could, I showed debug logs of scans that did not work, then played the video through xbmc to prove it existed then produced a scan that did work.

Even scan for new content is not reliable anymore.

Right I suggest that everyone having this issue post up there set up, lets see if we can find something we all have in common apart from this problem.

My data is stored on a an unraid server. My Sources are networked shared drives.

Movies (Network Drive)
- Film Title (Folder)
- Film Video (File)

Tv (Network Share)
- Show Name (Folder)
- Season (Folder)
- Episode (File)

My network is set up through my router and a switch using home plug adapters to send the video downstairs to my htcp.
Same here and now I'm running Dharma RC1 Live with the same issue. Library update just skips folder entirely with (fasthash) notice. Creating folders in the movie drive made no difference.

The only thing that (still!) works for me is 'Scan for new content'. What I want to know is what the difference is between the two.
pecinko Wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what are those junctions? Windows shortcuts? Mac & Linux symlinks? What happens if you add C:\ as source instead of this junction thing?

I'm just curious.

Junctions are like shortcuts in windows, but unlike shortcuts they are treated by windows and programs as if they where indeed a real folder. Its used by the OS on - amongst other things - your user folder. I used Junction link magic to create them, you can read more on their site.

If I add "c:\movies\" it works in my case. This is because that folder gets a new hash/date every time I dump a new file in it, whereas the junction folder doesnt. I could of course reconfigure my whole setup, share all 10 HD's on my server and add each source directly from its original HD in XBMC. That would solve my problem, but I would have to set up my whole library from scratch, as all paths would change. And I would also loose my VERY flexible system. Today I can move entire movie folders to new disks with new drive letters, and by editing the junctions they all still appear to xbmc (and all other programs) to be in d:\movies\. This is very handy when you have the relative huge amount of media that I have.

Since junctions will never get their hash/date updated unless deleted and recreated, the only sollution for me would have to be an option to swap the normal database update for the "scan for new content". Or a way to disable fasthash so it actually checks the folder even tho it appears unchanged. I don't mind the extra time spent doing this, even if it takes a whole hour :p

supertom44 Wrote:My data is stored on a an unraid server. My Sources are networked shared drives.

I'm guessing this somehow makes
a) the folder hash/date not update
b) the hash/date impossible to read for xbmc?

Its not the same setup as I have, but it all boils down to the fact that when folder hash doesnt update, or xbmc for some reason can't read it properly, our new movies arent detected.
@Darre: Add a folder BEFORE you do the initial scan. It will then work just fine.

@sireone: Please do a log and keep things real simple:

1. A single folder in your library. Containing a single movie.
2. Add a movie outside of XBMC.
3. Run UpdateLibrary and confirm it wasn't picked up.
4. Run Scan for New Content and confirm it was picked up.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:@Darre: Add a folder BEFORE you do the initial scan. It will then work just fine.

Thats excactly what i did Undecided No luck :-(

I have "d:\movies\movies1\" (a junction)
I add the folder "avatar 2009"
I add the file "avatar 2009.mkv"
I open xbmc and autoupdate of lib starts. No new movies picked up.

However if I change the share to ie g:\movies\movie1 (exact path to the folder) and follow the same steps, the movie gets picked up.

The problem for me is that folder hash doesnt update.. If you somehow got folder hash to update with junctions please do tell me how! If not I'm not sure what to do :-( Any chance we can get some command to start scan for new content(instead of the default update) or disabling the fasthash?
In my case, I'm using an UNRAID NAS. One share called \\SCMEDIA\Movies. Not sure how fasthash is enabled on that. I've added a folder called 'fasthash' to that share, did a 'Scan for content', rebooted. I then added a .mkv file in the share, ran a UpdateLibrary and nothing.
I can't change my folder/movie arrangement either. I have applications other than XBMC accessing the data. Is is possible to get a fix instead of a workaround?
Please supply logs with every post so I can see you did what you say you did and that you're running the version you say you're running and things are occuring in the order I expect etc. Otherwise we're just guessing.

jmarshall Wrote:Please supply logs with every post so I can see you did what you say you did and that you're running the version you say you're running and things are occuring in the order I expect etc. Otherwise we're just guessing.

I could setup a test enviroment, and supply logs etc, but the thing is its only going to prove one thing here.. and thats the fact that the date modified doesnt change for junctions. This doesnt have anything to do with XBMC, and theres no way for XBMC to understand that this is a junction and use different scan methodology. So unless you can somehow implent a way to disable fasthash, theres not going to be a fix for me :-( Im leaning towards starting a new DB, without using junction shares(I know that works). Its loots of work, but I need XBMC, and since a fix seems more and more unlikely, thats probalby what I have to do. That or I just have to have a clean install of Dharma beta1, because I'm pretty sure the scanning still worked back then(probably no use of fasthash)

There may be other scenarios where the problem is caused because XBMC doesnt read the correct date or something, but I know thats not the case on my system. I wont waste your time with my logs, because I don't think theres anything you can do, except the earlier mentioned disabling fasthash, and make it actually scan each share for new files(like it did back in dharma beta1 and earlier). Is that even doable without it beeing lots of work? I mean I don't need like an option in settings.. a simple command I can put in advancedsettings.xml would suffice.

Of course what I could do is setup a enviroment where I prove how it finds the movies in Dharma beta1, and then one where it doesnt in Dharma RC1. If you want to see what the difference is I'd be happy to do this, but I guess you allready are aware of some change to how XBMC searches for movies in the different versions?
Considering that fasthashing was in long before Beta1 tells me it's something else.

Again, if a folder contains a subfolder then it will not be fasthashed on initial scan. Feel free to read the code yourself.

Thus, the only case that can break is if a folder contains only files AND changes to the folder don't affect it's ctime/mtime.

So YES, without you doing dedicated testing of a repeatable set of steps with full debug logs we're just plain guessing.

This problem with the library is only thing keeping me from a perfect XBMC system.

Frustrating...
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library not updating with Dharma trunk1