Can XBMC use the GPU for decoding?
Installed XBMC to my new Atom/Nvidia ION htpc today (Atom 1.6GHz Dual Core), and getting stuttering playback on 720p mkv and avi, I've read conflicting information on whether the Windows version of XBMC can offload anything to the GPU or whether it is all CPU-bound.

Ran the same video files in Windows 7 Media Center with perfect playback on the same machine. But was really hoping to use XBMC instead. Can anyone clarify?
The latest stable does not, you'd have to install one of the nightly builds or wait for the next release for gpu acceleration on the windows version.
To make sure that I understood you correctly, with the upcoming version (Dharma) it will be possible to use the full power of the GPU e.g. it will be possible to watch 1080p with an ION GPU?
That's right. With the latest nightly build it allready works like a charm!
Even Avatar with Bitrates of 50 mbit i some scenes plays smoothly!
Borbosch Wrote:latest nightly build

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/
Corleone Wrote:To make sure that I understood you correctly, with the upcoming version (Dharma) it will be possible to use the full power of the GPU e.g. it will be possible to watch 1080p with an ION GPU?
That was already possible two stable releases ago, but you needed linux for it.
I have the same problem. I've had Linux Mint 8 with XBMC for a long time, but decided to do a fresh install of Linux Mint 9 yesterday, which forced me to do the same with XBMC.

Now, everything is lagging big time. When I check the framerate it is 5-6 fps, no matter what rendering mode I use.

It is a laptop with Intel GMA950.

Is it no way to fix this, do I just have to wait for a new version of XBMC? Reeeally annoying, as I use XBMC all the time...
You guys are amazing, this opens the door to dozens of new htpc variants.

Keep up the good work

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMC use the GPU for decoding?0