[LIVE] Mounting a raid 1
Im pretty weak in the linux department, but i've managed to figure out how to get a pair of 2TB drives to mount in xbmc. Now in my bios and in the raid controller they're configured as a raid 1, but in the xbmc file manager i see two separate drives that definitely operate independently when i start moving around files. What am I missing?
Just attempted a full reinstall from the liveCD. Found in the drive setup portion there was a flag for the raid that stated do not use. So, I switched this to ntfs, and gave it a mount point. However within the file manager I still have two independently mounted drives. Sad
Back at it again tonight. Ditched the bios raid controller setup in favor of attempting the linux software raid only. Used the LiveCD's installer to raid the two drives, partitioned for ext4, and installed xbmc on a third drive I intend to use only for the OS.

Installation went without any errors, went to file manager in xbmc upon bootup and found no raid - which I expected, so I removed the nodiskmount tag in the /boot/grub/menu.lst

2nd boot, went to file manager and still found no raid... :confused2:
Ok, so is a mounted raid in xbmc even possible? Ive figured out how to create the software raids in the installer, and went through the installation on the raid itself this time. No errors or issues during installation.

Now during the first boot, I get this error - Gave up waiting for root device. Alert /dev/md0 does not exist.

If im understanding correctly this is simply telling me the raid /dev/md0 i just created AND installed on is not mounting. Editing the nodiskmount line on grub before the kernel boots still gives the same error.

All i'm looking for is:
1. A functioning XBMC installation. Succeeded here many times, all installed to a flash drive minus the one attempt described above.

And 2. A functioning raid 1 for a bit of redundancy as I intend to use this machine for storage. I know its possible as i have manually mounted the raid within ubuntu but the little cpu cant handle xbmc on top of the OS. However, all my attempts to make this occur solely within xbmc have failed.
I think you may be pushing the Live installation a bit beyond it's intended scope.

If your HTPC can run Live I'd be surprised if it couldn't run a minimal Ubuntu installation. They should use comparable CPU, though memory could be an issue.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Mounting a raid 10