keymap change for <enter> to <m> in visualization and playing video
seems like <enter> used to bring up the osd in the music visualization and video, but now it has switched to <m>. why the change? did this happen recently?

running 32352 dharma on windows 7.
I can see this is going to be the cause of much contention :-)

M has always opened the OSD, as has Enter. The Enter key has been remapped to execute the Select action because the facility to jump to a chosen time in a video has been enhanced and now needs a Select keypress.

I suspect a certain (much respected!) XBMC developer is going to find himself under pressure to change this back.

JR
ahh. makes sense. just have to remap a remote button.
i like the new skip to time function, it's fast and accurate.

but with already being able to jump to a specific minute and then skip +/- 10seconds. also BOOKMARKS! it seems a bit unecessary. Most people won't know the exact second of a movie they wish to go to.

I think moving over to another part of the remote to find the menu button, is a BAD idea. Sure it's not hard, it doesn't take long. But XBMC has always been easy, and simple, and it's UI is unparalleled(sp?).

It's unfortunately a step backwards in the ease of use.

1 vote for switching it back!
I Don't want to hijack the thread but has the key to change view mode changed also? I used to press ok on my logitech harmony one and that would change view mode i.e normal, zoom etc. This no longer works unless i get my keyboard out and press the Z key.
Marvel Wrote:I Don't want to hijack the thread but has the key to change view mode changed also? I used to press ok on my logitech harmony one and that would change view mode i.e normal, zoom etc. This no longer works unless i get my keyboard out and press the Z key.

No, I don't think so. I had a look back at the v9.11 and that maps Z to the action AspectRatio just as the current keymap does.

JR
Why are all these remotes sending ENTER on a "menu" key anyway?

Which key are you pressing on the remote expecting the OSD to come up?

On my harmony it's the same key (Menu) as used for the context menu.

We can't come up with a suitable fix without this sort of info.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hello,
Can i change somehow this new feature back to old behavior? I can't use the new releases properly.
I use the central ok (same as keytroke ENTER) button in MCE remote to bring osd but now i would not want another key mapped for it (with M). If i ditch eventghost the basic remote support is next to useless to me. :/
StevenSeagull Wrote:Hello,
Can i change somehow this new feature back to old behavior? I can't use the new releases properly.
I use the central ok (same as keytroke ENTER) button in MCE remote to bring osd but now i would not want another key mapped for it (with M). If i ditch eventghost the basic remote support is next to useless to me. :/

Yes, you can create a custom keymapping file. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=573912&postcount=7 for an example file.

Why is "the basic remote support" useless? I ask because we've gone to some lengths to support MCE remotes in XBMC and if there are still problems we'd like to know what they are so we can fix them!

JR
jmarshall Wrote:Why are all these remotes sending ENTER on a "menu" key anyway?

Which key are you pressing on the remote expecting the OSD to come up?

I'd guess it's the button in the middle of the arrow buttons. This is labelled "OK" on all the MCE remotes I've seen, and it sends VK_RETURN. To be fair even the unmodified MS remote sends a VK_RETURN keypress, so it's fairly standard behaviour.

I guess the question is what would you expect to happen when you press a button labelled "OK"? It's not obvious to me that you'd expect it to bring up the OSD, though actually it's not obvious what else it should do. The problem is that people have got used to it bringing up the OSD.

JR
Sending VK_RETURN does make sense for that button during navigation. Agreed it doesn't necessarily mean it should bring up an OSD though, though it's as good as any in the situation where there is no other use for it.

One possible solution would be to have a separate section in keymap.xml purely for the entry of the seek position. It's not a separate window, but we can probably get around that in the same way we have a "videomenu" section for DVD menus.

A bit hacky for just this, but I don't really see another solution.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jhsrennie Wrote:Yes, you can create a custom keymapping file. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=573912&postcount=7 for an example file.

Why is "the basic remote support" useless? I ask because we've gone to some lengths to support MCE remotes in XBMC and if there are still problems we'd like to know what they are so we can fix them!

JR

First of all i don't mean to be rude saying that.
My setup is eventghost and ordinary microsoft ir mce remote (the most popular one).

I have mapped many buttons for the following actions:
i - Keyboard i as info
DVD MENU - context menu key (very usefull sometimes)
LIVE TV - o as teh o key that displays the fps, cpu usage...
GUIDE - mapped as keyboard TAB key to switch to visualizations
RECORDED TV - Mapped as ESC key when backspace fails (exiting out of complex menus - very important).
Green microsoft button (START). - calls up XBMC
PC - emulates keypress s - for shudown (standby) also works as wake up from standby! No.1 must have key for me Smile
Record buttom - emulates Z keystroke as per zoom function
The above changes are pretty much all i have tweaked and without them my experience with xbmc would be a disaster.
I depend on the subtitles script and navigating with the basic support is really
terrible. How are we even supposed to bring the OSD in the new versions with the mce remote anyway? Or em i the only one using it?

Also mapping a generally non working key to M as for the "new" menu key is really a bad solution as the old way works more naturally. Not to mention to re-learn to use a OSD key for apparently no reason.

On the other hand i love how native mce support feels (compared to eventgost is fantastic).
I have the original ms remote.

I wanted to let you know that there are two buttons on this remote, which the unmodified HID/registry sends the same response for.

There is an "OK" button inside the directional pad, and there is an "enter" button at the bottom. They send different ir commands (EG distinguishes between them, identifies one as MCE_OK and the other as MCE_Enter) but the HID sends the VK_Return for both of them.

maybe the "enter" button could be used as enter for time seek, and "OK" for OSD, but the registry would have to be modified. But then again, I don't know how jhsrennie's modified registry treats that second enter key.

just my 2 cents

EDIT: Jhsrennie, I just checked out your modified registry and noticed that both keys are associated with "return" I was wondering if there is a specific reason why you decided on keeping two buttons with the same function?
aptalca Wrote:Jhsrennie, I just checked out your modified registry and noticed that both keys are associated with "return" I was wondering if there is a specific reason why you decided on keeping two buttons with the same function?

I couldn't think of anything useful to distinguish the two buttons.

JR
StevenSeagull Wrote:RECORDED TV - Mapped as ESC key when backspace fails (exiting out of complex menus - very important).

The "Clear" button already sends an escape.

jmarshall Wrote:One possible solution would be to have a separate section in keymap.xml purely for the entry of the seek position. It's not a separate window, but we can probably get around that in the same way we have a "videomenu" section for DVD menus.

A bit hacky for just this, but I don't really see another solution.

This seems a reasonable option. The Info screens (some of them) already work this way. They override the global action for <i>Info</i> and map it to <i>Close</i>.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
keymap change for <enter> to <m> in visualization and playing video0