• 16(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
Tunak Wrote:THX for your reply.

1- i'm not using Eventghost, but i was using "plugin.program.mceremote-1.1.15" without any change. now is this plugin disabled
2- this is my device manager:

and MCERemoteMapper:

everything looks fine, but the buttons are not working.

the plugin was also not able to change any buttons, not only the volume buttons. i ran xbmc as an administrator and i had restarted the PC after a button change and reg modification.

The XBMC Plugin "plugin.program.mceremote" will not harm XBMC or your Device Manager's Drivers, you can enable it if you want :-)

As I suspected you might not have a compatible Microsoft eHome Driver, I am afraid if you do not have the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" and "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) then you are out of luck. Sorry but not all your remote buttons will be configurable as you found out.

I would suggest one last attempt, uninstall your "HID-Compliant consumer control device" then wait for the driver to uninstall and unplug your receiver from your USB port.

Please insert the receiver directly in one of your Motherboard USB ports "do not use any usb extentions or Case front/side/top usb ports. Only use a port on the back of the board". Then click on "scan for hardware changes" button On the device manager window.

If after doing that you still can not get the proper eHome drives then I'm sorry nothing much I can do to remap your Volume/mute buttons.

Cheers,
EG.
i was trying to manually reinstall the drivers for my "USB Composite device" to "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)". i got Error Code 10 and the remote was not working at all.

"Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" is missing, because my device has no transceiver option. There are two types on the market, one with transceiver and one without.

this is my device, ebay description "MCE Receiver for HP Microsoft Toshiba Links MCE Remote":

FYI: EventGhost is not working with my receiver and Microsoft MCE Remote plugin too No

and the best at the end, only 3 buttons are working with EventGhost and Plugin: HID: HOLTEK Yaocoo Remoter. Mute, Vol Up and Vol Down Shocked

the other keys are working with EventGhost Keyboard plugin :-)
Tunak Wrote:i was trying to manually reinstall the drivers for my "USB Composite device" to "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)". i got Error Code 10 and the remote was not working at all.

"Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" is missing, because my device has no transceiver option. There are two types on the market, one with transceiver and one without.

this is my device, ebay description "MCE Receiver for HP Microsoft Toshiba Links MCE Remote":

FYI: EventGhost is not working with my receiver and Microsoft MCE Remote plugin too No

and the best at the end, only 3 buttons are working with EventGhost and Plugin: HID: HOLTEK Yaocoo Remoter. Mute, Vol Up and Vol Down Shocked

the other keys are working with EventGhost Keyboard plugin :-)

If I am not wrong I think your remote is fine as listed in this Wiki but your receiver seems not wanting to accept the eHome driver means its just not compatible!

You may want to revert to your original driver as nothing will work this way, also you may stick to Eventghost then! But if you want to use registry configuration to control XBMC, then the only choice you have is to get a proper Microsoft compatible receiver that uses the eHome driver or if you can get a Proper MCE RC6 Remote set. Other than that there is nothing much you can do with the current hardware in hand. :-|

Kind Regards,
EG.
Sorry - been through this whole thead and I still can't figure out an answer to some of this.

I have the Maplin remote. I've applied the reg and keyboard.xml and rebooted. It generally works as I'd want.

However, I want to change the actions of a couple of buttons. It's not clear to me whether I need to change the registry or keymap or both? Can someone explain end to end how to redefine a button on the remote to perform another action?

Thanks
srdegnan Wrote:Sorry - been through this whole thead and I still can't figure out an answer to some of this.

I have the Maplin remote. I've applied the reg and keyboard.xml and rebooted. It generally works as I'd want.

However, I want to change the actions of a couple of buttons. It's not clear to me whether I need to change the registry or keymap or both? Can someone explain end to end how to redefine a button on the remote to perform another action?

Thanks

Ok if you want to change a button on the remote with a specific action that is listed in keyboard.xml then use MceRemoteMapper app found on my remapping page on site. All you need is to find out what keyboard press required and map it to any button you want on the remote.

But if you do not want to change what the remote buttons send, then open MceRemoteMapper and look for the button you want, the app will tell you what action it sends! Then go to keyboard.xml and change the function to that specific button.

Too hard for you tell me what you want, I'll tell you what to do :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:Ok if you want to change a button on the remote with a specific action that is listed in keyboard.xml then use MceRemoteMapper app found on my remapping page on site. All you need is to find out what keyboard press required and map it to any button you want on the remote.

But if you do not want to change what the remote buttons send, then open MceRemoteMapper and look for the button you want, the app will tell you what action it sends! Then go to keyboard.xml and change the function to that specific button.

Too hard for you tell me what you want, I'll tell you what to do :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks- I'll try later.
srdegnan Wrote:Thanks- I'll try later.

If you want to know what your remote button sends and display a string that can be used in keyboard.xml download showkey.exe as well. Every thing you need to know is on site, as I said earlier let me know what you want & I will help you if it's easier for you that way.

Cheers,
EG.
i have done my homework Wink

EventGhost was not working so good i was expected. after all i have changed the keyboard.xml to my remote commands read by ShowKeys (my remote is sending some commands - keyboard presses otherway like the original MCE Remote) and all functions are ok now. it was the only way to controll the XBMC - no reg file, no 3rd party sw. thx for your help.
Tunak Wrote:i have done my homework Wink

EventGhost was not working so good i was expected. after all i have changed the keyboard.xml to my remote commands read by ShowKeys (my remote is sending some commands - keyboard presses otherway like the original MCE Remote) and all functions are ok now. it was the only way to controll the XBMC - no reg file, no 3rd party sw. thx for your help.

I'm glad you sorted it Big Grin Very good indeed "good thinking" and thank you for reporting back This will be remebered in case any one similar to your situation asks for help Wink

Cheers,
EG.
Got the start button working after following your helpful instructions. However, the remote still won't recognise when I press the volume key and it won't let me rebind the guide button. I've tried using the MCE app in XBMC and the one provided via your website.

I tried pressing the volume buttons just before I closed XBMC. Log file here.

http://pastebin.com/Svg0RkSJ

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, an MCE remote and XBMC 10.0.
The key part of the log is:

DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0, sym: 0, unicode: 0, modifier: 0
DEBUG: WinEventsWin32.cpp: APPCOMMAND 10

Your volume buttons are sending APPCOMMAND messages. APPCOMMAND 10 is volume up and 9 is volume down. XBMC does not handle the APPCOMMAND volume messages. Instead it passes them on to Windows where they should be changing the Windows volume settings. This is by design, because when I added a patch to XBMC to have it trap the volume APPCOMMANDs I got shouted at and had to take the patch out again.

I've lost track of what config changes you've made (this thread is becoming a bit of a monster!). I normally configure the volume buttons to send F8, F9 and F10, which Dharma recognises as Mute, Volume Down and Volume Up respectively. I can't remember how EliteGamer360's config sets the volume buttons; the MCERemote add-on configures them to send the function keypresses.

JR
I tried changing it from OEM to F8, F9, and F10 in the XBMC app and in the app for Windows but it didn't work. I also tried changing the guide button to 'i' but this didn't work either.

Am I doing something wrong and/or how do I do it in the XML file?
silvine Wrote:Got the start button working after following your helpful instructions. However, the remote still won't recognise when I press the volume key and it won't let me rebind the guide button. I've tried using the MCE app in XBMC and the one provided via your website.

I tried pressing the volume buttons just before I closed XBMC. Log file here.

http://pastebin.com/Svg0RkSJ

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, an MCE remote and XBMC 10.0.

Sounds like you are not using a compatible MCE eHome driver as well similar to Tunak's situation. I looked at your Debug log and like JR said your volume keys send WM_APPCOMMAND that XBMC don't trap.

If you look back one page (23) you will see a similar problem to yours, if you do not have an eHome compatible driver you will be out of luck. You wont be able to configure some of your buttons. Double check your drivers pls.

Five posts above, Tunak said that he solved the volume buttons problem, you might want ot contact him to find out what did he did.

Cheers,
EG.
silvine Wrote:I tried changing it from OEM to F8, F9, and F10 in the XBMC app and in the app for Windows but it didn't work. I also tried changing the guide button to 'i' but this didn't work either.

Am I doing something wrong and/or how do I do it in the XML file?

Do not worry about this detail my config v1.24 takes care of all that, but if you use my config and your remote does not work then you have an compatible MCE remote.

Please check your drivers and let me know what Remote/Receiver you are using. I made it very clear in my site, if you do not have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices then you are outa luck. Sorry.

Cheers,
EG.
srdegnan Wrote:Sorry - been through this whole thead and I still can't figure out an answer to some of this.

Thanks

New Step by step remapping tutorial up and running, I thought that it might not be needed but I can be proved wrong. :-)

page can only be accessable from the Remmaping Options page.

Thanks.
EG.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15