• 54(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
How can I restore standard functionality of BACK (code 23) button to "BACK" command? I have seen it on the web page, but I cannot find it now.

elitegamer360: Did you ever consider including "c" - context menu button? Seems useful for add-ons.

elitegamer360: I know that old habits die hard, but changing the functionality to (*very*) old XBox behaviour seems a step back... Wink

Cheers to all contributors who made using MCE remote this easy!!
OpenELEC 4.2.1 Generic x32
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Samsung USB2 DVD-RW SE-S084
This is my first time using your autoinstaller and the installation won't even start. I get an error message saying - "Error Creating Process: <C:Users\Jiby\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\XB726F~1.EXE> - Reason: The Requested Operation Requires Elevation." I did a quick search in the forum but couldn't find anything. Also my Windows account is an admin type if that helps at all. Here's some info on my setup:

Lenovo q180 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Remote control - Mediagate GP-IR02BK
It comes with a USB IR receiver and my htpc doesn't have its own
Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver is listed in the Device Manager
I've never used any previous software like EventGhost
The installer I used was XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14

Thanks for your help.
swoop Wrote:How can I restore standard functionality of BACK (code 23) button to "BACK" command? I have seen it on the web page, but I cannot find it now.

elitegamer360: Did you ever consider including "c" - context menu button? Seems useful for add-ons.

elitegamer360: I know that old habits die hard, but changing the functionality to (*very*) old XBox behaviour seems a step back... Wink

It is backspace
hunterx Wrote:Anyone have an Adesso remote? I can't get the Context Menu, can I customize the remote to assign a key for it using this tool in the 1st post?

Is your remote using the eHome driver?

swoop Wrote:How can I restore standard functionality of BACK (code 23) button to "BACK" command? I have seen it on the web page, but I cannot find it now.
It should be back space, i do not think I actually changed back button, i'm sure i left it as backspace, thats why i created this page

swoop Wrote:elitegamer360: Did you ever consider including "c" - context menu button? Seems useful for add-ons.

"C" is already in my setup press the "Guide" button! Did you check the remote picture on this page!

And as I said, I do not think I changed it! Its a matter of preference, thats why I create that page for it! If I did a mistake I will fix it back on the next release :-)

jibyjacob Wrote:This is my first time using your autoinstaller and the installation won't even start. I get an error message saying - "Error Creating Process: <C:Users\Jiby\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\XB726F~1.EXE> - Reason: The Requested Operation Requires Elevation." I did a quick search in the forum but couldn't find anything. Also my Windows account is an admin type if that helps at all. Here's some info on my setup:

Lenovo q180 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Remote control - Mediagate GP-IR02BK
It comes with a USB IR receiver and my htpc doesn't have its own
Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver is listed in the Device Manager
I've never used any previous software like EventGhost
The installer I used was XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14

Thanks for your help.

You need to run the setup as administrator or disable the UAC completely as its useless TBH ;-) see this page as an example of how to do it.

I hope this helps you all :-)

Cheers,
EG.
floepie Wrote:I thought I would add something that you may or may not know about. I use a harmony remote to control all devices within a programmed "activity". When switching to a different "activity", all the unused devices from the previous "activity" are switched off. However, if the PC doesn't receive the 'power toggle' command from the remote properly, the PC can turn ON when it was intended to be turned OFF and vice versa. The PC is my only device without dedicated POWER ON and POWER OFF commands.

In order to fix this, I simply changed the MCE remotes 'red' button to the power toggle command in the registry. Now, you might think that I have two separate Power Toggle switches, but what I wind up with is one normal Power Toggle and one Power OFF (red button), because when the PC sits in standby, it responds ONLY to the Power Toggle button and not to the 'red' button.

So, in the Harmony software, I set the new Power On command to the normal Power Toggle button and the Power Off command to the 'red' button. Now, I have a dedicated Power ON and Power OFF buttons, just as all the other devices now have.

Hello, can someone explain how to do this in more details? After reading this opic and some nOOb explanations i still have no clue how to change standard action of powertoggle button on MCE remote (same story for Harmony one). MCE mapper shows that power toggle after application of Registry Config v1.25 is set to [S] keyboard button which results in appearance of XMBC shutdown menu when pressed i.o. putting it to sleep or standby.
Appreciate any advices. Thanks
elitegamer360 Wrote:It should be back space, i do not think I actually changed back button, i'm sure i left it as backspace, thats why i created this page

"C" is already in my setup press the "Guide" button! Did you check the remote picture on this page!

And as I said, I do not think I changed it! Its a matter of preference, thats why I create that page for it! If I did a mistake I will fix it back on the next release :-)
The BACK button works just fine in the menu, but when viewing the film it does the XBox "language mate" 3 seconds rewind. It's a bit counter-intuitive.

Thanks for your fast response and answers. Cheers!
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Sugarfree Wrote:Hello, can someone explain how to do this in more details? After reading this opic and some nOOb explanations i still have no clue how to change standard action of powertoggle button on MCE remote (same story for Harmony one). MCE mapper shows that power toggle after application of Registry Config v1.25 is set to [S] keyboard button which results in appearance of XBMC shutdown menu when pressed i.o. putting it to sleep or standby.
Appreciate any advices. Thanks

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=101...tcount=774

Cheers,
EG.
swoop Wrote:The BACK button works just fine in the menu, but when viewing the film it does the XBox "language mate" 3 seconds rewind. It's a bit counter-intuitive.

Thanks for your fast response and answers. Cheers!

To you it might seem counterintuitive Rolleyes, but as I said it has slipped my QC somehow and I will revert it back to default in the next release.

If you want to fix it in the mean time I would suggest you open %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps and edit the keyboard.xml file! Search for
Code:
<backspace>SmallStepBack</backspace>
and change it to
Code:
<backspace>Fullscreen</backspace>
save keyboard.xml and then restart XBMC if you still have it open :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:...but as I said it has slipped my QC somehow and I will revert it back to default in the next release.
Thanks for the full instructions and the commitment to new releases. Cool
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Basically I installed the software as recommended and it worked out of the box with 90% of the keys doing what I wanted, I fiddled with the keyboard.xml file a little as well as fixing some of the remote keybinds as they weren't correct. One of the binds I fixed was so that next and previous (the seek buttons) were changed to period and comma so they actually seeked rather than skipping to the end of the file as there was no chapter. My only problem is movies used to seek 5 minutes ahead while TV eps did 30 seconds, they now both do 30 seconds? Do you know how to change this? Cheers Big Grin
grnt Wrote:Basically I installed the software as recommended and it worked out of the box with 90% of the keys doing what I wanted, I fiddled with the keyboard.xml file a little as well as fixing some of the remote keybinds as they weren't correct. One of the binds I fixed was so that next and previous (the seek buttons) were changed to period and comma so they actually seeked rather than skipping to the end of the file as there was no chapter.

I am not sure what you are on about here to be honest! All actions since XBMC "Camelot" does still exist in keyboard.xml, even the new mods added hence I do not see anything wrong in keyboard.xml!

grnt Wrote:My only problem is movies used to seek 5 minutes ahead while TV eps did 30 seconds, they now both do 30 seconds? Do you know how to change this? Cheers Big Grin

I am afraid that this has nothing to do with my custom settings! If a change happened and you think its worth mentioning then this should be addressed to XBMC Devs.

If you want to change the 30 second interval then use Advancedsettings see here for all the commands you could use. Any changes you make it will affect TV shows and Movies. You can not set the buttons to seek 5 minutes in movies and 30 seconds in TV shows anymore.

You need to create advancedsettings.xml file in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\ and the contents should look like this:-

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <video>
       <timeseekforward>15</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward "Right arrow" in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->    
       <timeseekbackward>-15</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward "Left arrow" in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->
       <timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward "Up arrow" in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
       <timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek backward "Down arrow" in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->  
</video>
</advancedsettings>

there are other options to use like Percentage seek and analogue seek, check this Wiki for more info, also see this Wiki about available actions in XBMC when in Full screen Video.

Analogue seek can be used if you look in keyboard.xml you will find:-
Code:
<left mod="ctrl">analogseekback</left>
      <right mod="ctrl">analogseekforward</right>

Cheers,
EG.
OK long story short I'm trying to get my Harmony One to control xbmc by pretending to be an MCE keyboard.

My HP receiver drivers weren't automatically detected by windows, so I managed to get the drivers installed by downloading an .exe from HP. At this stage the up down left and right buttons were responding in xbmc but one press and xbmc thought i was holding them down, it seemed. (no other buttons did anything)

I then thought all i needed to do was install the mce remote add-on and run it, but i tried that and afterwards I then got no reaction at all from the remote in xbmc.

So that's where im at, i was about to try your 3 step guide on your website but one bit said to make sure the remote is working first before proceeding and if your remote isnt working then post a message for some help.

Q1) should I just go ahead and try the 3 step guide?
Q2) Is there anyway of me figuring out if i have the correct drivers installed and working? I'm not sure if my problem is drivers or if my problem is to do with registry edits or keyboard.xml etc?

I've spent so long trying to get a remote to work with windows xp xbmc and its driving me crazy, any help is gratefully received. Sad

1- OS = windows xp sp3 32-bit
2- REMOTE = I have a harmony one remote
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? Not sure about this question.
4- What IR receiver are you using? My remote receiver is the silver USB HP one (it says on the bottom of the receiver that its model is OVU400102/71). I bought it seperately from my remote(s)
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? NO built in receiver in my PC
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"? YES
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? NO. (well I did instal some drivers for my receiver that I got from the HP website here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...vc-82254-1)
8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method? Haven't tried it yet.
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC? I presume when i used the mce remote add-on it automatically edited my keyboard.xml
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using? the latest dharma (10.1 i think) downloaded a week ago.
thebearnecessit Wrote:OK long story short I'm trying to get my Harmony One to control xbmc by pretending to be an MCE keyboard.

My HP receiver drivers weren't automatically detected by windows, so I managed to get the drivers installed by downloading an .exe from HP. At this stage the up down left and right buttons were responding in xbmc but one press and xbmc thought i was holding them down, it seemed. (no other buttons did anything)

I then thought all i needed to do was install the mce remote add-on and run it, but i tried that and afterwards I then got no reaction at all from the remote in xbmc.

So that's where im at, i was about to try your 3 step guide on your website but one bit said to make sure the remote is working first before proceeding and if your remote isnt working then post a message for some help.

Q1) should I just go ahead and try the 3 step guide?
Q2) Is there anyway of me figuring out if i have the correct drivers installed and working? I'm not sure if my problem is drivers or if my problem is to do with registry edits or keyboard.xml etc?

I've spent so long trying to get a remote to work with windows xp xbmc and its driving me crazy, any help is gratefully received. Sad

1- OS = windows xp sp3 32-bit
2- REMOTE = I have a harmony one remote
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? Not sure about this question.
4- What IR receiver are you using? My remote receiver is the silver USB HP one (it says on the bottom of the receiver that its model is OVU400102/71). I bought it seperately from my remote(s)
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? NO built in receiver in my PC
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"? YES
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? NO. (well I did instal some drivers for my receiver that I got from the HP website here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...vc-82254-1)
8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method? Haven't tried it yet.
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC? I presume when i used the mce remote add-on it automatically edited my keyboard.xml
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using? the latest dharma (10.1 i think) downloaded a week ago.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the troubleshooting questions it really helps :-)

To me the the first problem sounds like a debounce issue and its is very simple to fix, but the second issue I am not sure why nothing worked when you installed the MCE addon! I'm gona need to know more information to figure this one out. ;-)

MCE IR receivers on Windows XP is like hit and miss for some reason same hardware from a same make will work on some machines and will not work on others running win xp, IR RC6 receivers does not need any extra software or drivers as they usually function out of the box, but as I said Win XP gives "Headache" sometimes.

Now I need you to download Showkey.exe and point your remote towards your HP receiver, try first to press the "Left, right, up and down" buttons. If anything shows up on showkey then please let us know. If nothing is showing up try all your other buttons if still nothing is showing up then I want you to take a screenshot of your "Device manager" showing all the relevant Human interface and USB drivers Like shown below, "you might have extra ones or missing some, who knows":

Thats all what I need to know now. From your findings I will tell you what to do next :-)

Cheers,
EG.
After starting to use Evenghost and XBMC as a shell I can no longer go back to the main screen of XBMC with the green button.
Just checked the Keyboard.xml file and the command:
Code:
<f5 mod="ctrl,alt">XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</f5>
Is there but doesn't seem to be working.
Anything I need to change now I am using Evenghost, ONLY for starting XBMC.
elitegamer360 Wrote:Thank you for taking the time to answer the troubleshooting questions it really helps :-)

To me the the first problem sounds like a debounce issue and its is very simple to fix, but the second issue I am not sure why nothing worked when you installed the MCE addon! I'm gona need to know more information to figure this one out. ;-)

MCE IR receivers on Windows XP is like hit and miss for some reason same hardware from a same make will work on some machines and will not work on others running win xp, IR RC6 receivers does not need any extra software or drivers as they usually function out of the box, but as I said Win XP gives "Headache" sometimes.

Now I need you to download Showkey.exe and point your remote towards your HP receiver, try first to press the "Left, right, up and down" buttons. If anything shows up on showkey then please let us know. If nothing is showing up try all your other buttons if still nothing is showing up then I want you to take a screenshot of your "Device manager" showing all the relevant Human interface and USB drivers Like shown below, "you might have extra ones or missing some, who knows":

Thats all what I need to know now. From your findings I will tell you what to do next :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks SO much for posting mate, I really appreciate it. Feel like i'm fumbling around in the dark here following instructions and just hoping for the best; never really aware of what i'm actually doing.

There's been developments. I googled my receiver model number (400102) and found loads of people saying my model is simply not compatible with windows XP, and that it's the 400103 that is compatible.

At that point i read the HP page where i downloaded the exe that changed my remote from a yellow exclamation to an 'ehome' driver. One of the notes on that download page seems to imply that the drivers exe is just for one specific HP PC (it says in the release notes section that its for "HP TouchSmart 9100 Business PC" not sure if ive picked that up wrong, but anyway the point is...i think that the HP driver was the problem....but...i found a driver on another webpage that works!

This 'fintek' driver is now installed and seems to be working http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ter.97619/ the link to the driver is in post 3. It says its a hacked "fintek" driver whatever that is.

Anyway the reason I'm posting back is because I thought you might be able to point me in the right direction, can I ask you a question or two?

MY HARMONY REMOTE WORKS! wow. never thought i'd see the day. Ive been at this for weeks.

Questions (hope you dont mind there's 5 questions) I just started thinking and they all came gushing out by accident Big Grin) questions 1 and 2 are the main ones; just ignore the rest if you are busy Smile

q1) When I skip a track it is taking about 15 seconds to skip the track. The visuals freeze, but the sound keeps playing for 15 seconds or so till it finally skips to the next track. How can I even begin to trouble shoot this because the remote is otherwise very responsive. Is it maybe just a problem with the weird driver I have and I just need to accept it?
q2) where should i go for help on getting the sms style input to work? I've added a keyboard.xml with the info in it for sms style text input but its not working even after a reboot
q3) where should i go for help on getting the power button on the remote to turn the PC on? would i have to check my bios to see if there is a setting about allowing usb devices to power on the pc?
q4) is there a way of getting the power button on the remote to turn the pc off? at the moment it puts it into hibernate i think.
q5) Just in general where is the best place to get help with these types of questions now that I'm up and running?
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15