• 57(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
Well, I don't have that folder (Xbmccustomregis).
Probably because I only used Config.v1.25.reg and not the installer.
But anyway ... I made changes in the original Config.v1.25.reg with the instructions you provided above, seems logical, could have done it myself before I asked for it here but that's my fault Smile
Anyhow, after reboot, Green button still opens WMC and red button does nothing.
First time when I tried it with XBMC opened , Green button actually minimized the xbmc, after that Green button acted as a WMC launcher, meaning if outside of XBMC , Green button launches WMC, even inside XBMC when pressed WMC launches.
I understand that Green button is a complicated matter Smile

Never mind, I'll find some other button instead of the Green button to act as a TAB Smile
just followed this guide from post 1 and ur site and so far so good seems to be working very well and starting Xbmc from the green button is great and will make things simpler for my family Smile A big Ty !
does anybody know where i could buy the defacto MCE remote to use for XBMC?

And also, will the remote work if I boot right into XBMC?
EG,
I have a reg file called (something like) Multi.App.07.reg that you created so that when my external player launches I can control PowerDVD with the remote, exit PowerDVD and continue using the remote in XBMC with no problems.
I think since XBMC 11 starts reading unencrypted BluRays and can Natively play BluRays I do not need an external player anymore. Which means I do not need to use the Multi.App reg. Which then means I can probably just run the config 1.25 reg.
I did have a look in the multi.app reg and it says Win+Alt+Enter. I ran it and rebooted still nothing. Do you think that using EventGhost as a Shell has anything to do with it? I have had to use the AHK files as exes which was the only way I could work out to get EventGhost to run the AutoHotKey files on startup.
Cheers
_Fonz
Kowalsky Wrote:Well, I don't have that folder (Xbmccustomregis).
Probably because I only used Config.v1.25.reg and not the installer.
But anyway ... I made changes in the original Config.v1.25.reg with the instructions you provided above, seems logical, could have done it myself before I asked for it here but that's my fault Smile
Anyhow, after reboot, Green button still opens WMC and red button does nothing.
First time when I tried it with XBMC opened , Green button actually minimized the xbmc, after that Green button acted as a WMC launcher, meaning if outside of XBMC , Green button launches WMC, even inside XBMC when pressed WMC launches.
I understand that Green button is a complicated matter Smile

Never mind, I'll find some other button instead of the Green button to act as a TAB Smile

You said the "Green Button" but you did not say the "Green Start Button" they are two different buttons and I could not know which one you exactly mean! The process is easy and you can do it yourself with any button as I showed you. Here again swapping the "Green Start Button" with the Red Button:

1- Right click on "Config.v1.25.reg" and select "Edit"

2- look for this
Code:
0d,00,00,00,04,0c,28,\ ; [Windows]         - Sends "Windows-Alt-Enter"

3- Change it to
Code:
0d,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ; [Windows]         - Sends "TAB"

4- Now look for this
Code:
5B,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ; [Red]        - Sends "TAB"

5- and change it to
Code:
5B,00,00,00,04,0c,28,\ ; [Red]        - Sends "Windows-Alt-Enter"

6- Save file, Close, double click to apply the new settings, click on "Yes" and then Restart your PC.

Done :-)

BTW, make sure that the autohotkey script is running otherwise the "Green Start Button" at the moment will not launch XBMC.

Atomic7431 Wrote:just followed this guide from post 1 and ur site and so far so good seems to be working very well and starting Xbmc from the green button is great and will make things simpler for my family Smile A big Ty !
You Welcome Laugh

TheFonz Wrote:EG,
I have a reg file called (something like) Multi.App.07.reg that you created so that when my external player launches I can control PowerDVD with the remote, exit PowerDVD and continue using the remote in XBMC with no problems.
I think since XBMC 11 starts reading unencrypted BluRays and can Natively play BluRays I do not need an external player anymore. Which means I do not need to use the Multi.App reg. Which then means I can probably just run the config 1.25 reg.
I did have a look in the multi.app reg and it says Win+Alt+Enter. I ran it and rebooted still nothing. Do you think that using EventGhost as a Shell has anything to do with it? I have had to use the AHK files as exes which was the only way I could work out to get EventGhost to run the AutoHotKey files on startup.
Cheers
_Fonz

OK, now I need you to:

1- Download this file and unzip to your desktop you will see a file named "Create.reg.backup.desktop.bat" run it and it should create another file named "Custom_setup.reg"

2- Now please upload "Custom_setup.reg" to any of your favorite file hosts and post the link back here.

This basically will create a copy of your current registry settings of the MCE remote only. I want to have a look at it first before trying to guess where is the issue is coming from, because I have not run your spesific setup before so at the moment I have no idea what is causing this. Hopefully this will help me rule out the reg settings if possible. :-)

Cheers all,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:2- Now please upload "Custom_setup.reg" to any of your favorite file hosts and post the link back here

EG: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12255470/Custom_setup.reg
Cheers!
_Fonz
TheFonz Wrote:EG: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12255470/Custom_setup.reg
Cheers!
_Fonz

OK, Thank you Smile I have just checked your reg setup and it looks fine! The only thing I think that might stop the remote from working like it should that if in "EventGhost" you have the "Disable HID Service" is checked. To check that, you need to:
1- Right click on the MCE Remote in the right column
2- Select properties on the properties window
3- Make sure to uncheck the box. That means that the HID service is not disabled.

Now just restart your pc just in case and try, if the script works like normal then all good is good :-)
If not, Then I will have to compile the script as an .exe for you to make sure its done properly. Will see then what happens :-)

BTW are you running any extra software for the remote that might stop it from functioning properly? Case I cant think of anything else at the moment, except the way you run windows, will come back to it later!

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:OK, Thank you Smile

EventGhost has the HID Service Disabled (I have uninstalled that plugin). I am also not using any other application for the remote.
Cheers
elitegamer,

im the guy that tried several hundred of your suggestions to try and get my remote to wake up the pc.

It turns out (not surprisingly) that it WAS a problem with my hacked drivers that were running my hp receiver (a couple hp receiver models work fine with XP but the model i had doesn't work with xp. the hacked drivers i found got it working, but it just wouldnt wake up the pc.).

anyway i bought an official microsoftr receiver and the drivers installed instantly and it worked in xbmc instantly. AND it wakes up the pc. so my boot time is now 12 seconds.

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate all your time.

oh and btw, i'm afraid i will be back on this thread soon to tap your knowledge to get all the buttons exactly how i want them Big Grin
TheFonz Wrote:EventGhost has the HID Service Disabled (I have uninstalled that plugin). I am also not using any other application for the remote.
Cheers

Hey TheFonz, make sure you install the the plugin and then make sure that the plugin "Disable HID Service" is unchecked. Then you can uninstall it afterwards.

I was doing several tests on different machines and I could not reproduce your problem, although all my machines run Windows 7 64bit. I tried both normal .ahk and .exe converted scripts on one of my friends 32bit machines and still could not reproduce your issue! I think something is stopping the script from running and I am not sure what is causing it at the moment.

After you do the above I recommend you download this script, I have added an extra command that forces it to run as an admin! If admin rights is the problem then this should cure it. Because if EventGhost is not the cause then it might be admin rights!?!, specially with the way you are running your system at the moment. Make sure you close any older script before running this. Also if you want then convert it to .exe my machines are all 64bit and might cause issues when run on 32bit systems!

Try to disable any admin rights or UAC requirments settings in your machine as well just to make sure. :-)

thebearnecessit Wrote:elitegamer,

im the guy that tried several hundred of your suggestions to try and get my remote to wake up the pc.

It turns out (not surprisingly) that it WAS a problem with my hacked drivers that were running my hp receiver (a couple hp receiver models work fine with XP but the model i had doesn't work with xp. the hacked drivers i found got it working, but it just wouldnt wake up the pc.).

anyway i bought an official microsoftr receiver and the drivers installed instantly and it worked in xbmc instantly. AND it wakes up the pc. so my boot time is now 12 seconds.

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate all your time.

oh and btw, i'm afraid i will be back on this thread soon to tap your knowledge to get all the buttons exactly how i want them Big Grin

Yes, I remember you it was not long ago anyways Smile and good to hear that the MS one is working now!

No probs at any time. :-)

Cheers all,
EG
Hi,

In your other website, you say

"The important thing to do first before starting anything, is to check that you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" driver in Device Manger_> Human Interface Devices. If you cannot find it then you do not have an RC6 compatible remote. Then I'm affraid that my setup will not fully work for you. Alternatively please visit my support thread for more info and for some hacks that I made which can help solve some or all your issues.."

I am in that case, so I would like to know if there is anything i could do? is it worth trying your setup? I have seen that there are several steps involved, can i completely undo them if it does not work?

My remote works for most of the buttons in XMBC but not the info one, there are some hardcoded links to media center (windows button, shortcuts to movie, ...)

I have tried the showkey app and i can see that some of the keys send multimedia command, but the ones i want to change do not show up in the show key....

to answer your trouble shooting questions:

1- windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified? I am using the wireless RF remote given with the LIAN LI C34F box, the only little manual i have about it says, RF media center remote for Vista

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...dex=68&g=f

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?
HTPC built in as you can see in the link above

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? I do not have a USB IR

6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
NO

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by UNTICKING "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost.
No regarding eventghost
I have tried the MCE remote addon in XBMC but it did not work. so i reversed it.

8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
i did not try yet as i dont want to mess with my system.

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?
same

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?
the latest stable release : 10.1 “Dharma”

Thanks for your help, if there is already an answer to this specific issue, then if you forward me to it, ill be happy to read the post, i just did not see anything on that that was helpful enough.

I installed RC2 and the green button started opening WMC again...

so i did this: http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote

i would rather have ur install back and working.. is there a way for me to un-do what the link above did and get ur stuff on RC2?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
(2012-03-12, 17:30)djkawa Wrote: Hi,

In your other website, you say

"The important thing to do first before starting anything, is to check that you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" driver in Device Manger_> Human Interface Devices. If you cannot find it then you do not have an RC6 compatible remote. Then I'm affraid that my setup will not fully work for you. Alternatively please visit my support thread for more info and for some hacks that I made which can help solve some or all your issues.."

I am in that case, so I would like to know if there is anything i could do? is it worth trying your setup? I have seen that there are several steps involved, can i completely undo them if it does not work?

My remote works for most of the buttons in XMBC but not the info one, there are some hardcoded links to media center (windows button, shortcuts to movie, ...)

I have tried the showkey app and i can see that some of the keys send multimedia command, but the ones i want to change do not show up in the show key....

to answer your trouble shooting questions:

1- windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified? I am using the wireless RF remote given with the LIAN LI C34F box, the only little manual i have about it says, RF media center remote for Vista

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?
HTPC built in as you can see in the link above

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? I do not have a USB IR

6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
NO

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by UNTICKING "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost.
No regarding eventghost
I have tried the MCE remote addon in XBMC but it did not work. so i reversed it.

8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
i did not try yet as i dont want to mess with my system.

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?
same

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?
the latest stable release : 10.1 “Dharma”

Thanks for your help, if there is already an answer to this specific issue, then if you forward me to it, ill be happy to read the post, i just did not see anything on that that was helpful enough.

My setup does not work with RF remotes.

You need to use EvenGhost so that you can configure XBMC to work with your remote. The link provided is for IR remotes but it should work with RF I guess!

Cheers,
EG.
(2012-03-12, 19:10)aoaaron Wrote: I installed RC2 and the green button started opening WMC again...

so i did this: http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote

i would rather have ur install back and working.. is there a way for me to un-do what the link above did and get ur stuff on RC2?

It does not matter if you install XBMC Camelot, Dahrma or Eden, If you change the installation location or use the portable mode then the script will not work!

I am using RC2 at the moment with no issues! I would suggest to check if you can uninstall using windows "uninstall a Program" or just try using system restore if you have not made a backup of your files already!

Just incase you did not know, xbmccustomregis can be installed and uninstalled using the same setup file.

Cheers,
EG.
ok thanks, for info i manage to find what my remote is:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/TopSeed_TSBX-2404_Remote

the RF one.

I had to uninstall Windows Media Center, to remove the hard coded short cuts. (how do they do that? how does windows media center catch the key presses from the remote?)

Then, in event ghost, if i use the generic HID device, i can see it logging some buttons, so i will just have to do a bit of configuration on event ghost and then on the keyboard.xml i guess?
Hi

Am new to this XBMC and am settings up as I type Smile

Now I need to run Windows Mediacenter 7 along side XBMC for some time yet.
So i have installed the mcml link in MCE that minimizes MCE and opens XBMC.

So I need my MCE remote to work in windows mediacenter and in XBMC

I am running Eden RC2 and Windows 7 mediacenter 64bit
The remote is a Genuine Microsoft one with ehome driver and all...

Will running this installer http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/index.html
Prevent me from having a functional remote in windows mediacenter ?
I can see it emulates keystrokes instead...

Thanks
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15