• 18(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
Hi,

Yeah post it and I will give it a go. That'd be great.
silvine Wrote:Hi,

Yeah post it and I will give it a go. That'd be great.

This time just right click on the Autohotkey "old Blind script" icon on your windows start menu taskbar and select "Edit script" Replace the old Script with this one:
Code:
;Script written to only activate specific keys when XBMC is in focus, Hence mouse functionality issue solved.

SetTitleMatchMode 2    ; Start for XBMC matching in window title/ fast default.
#IfWinActive XBMC ahk_class XBMC ; Script will look for XBMC window before activating the mapping.
                 ; if XBMC is Closed or sent to the background code designed to
                 ; bypass blinding the buttons, to resume proper mouse functionality
                 ; when needed.
        ;blind START.
    Volume_Up:: Send {F10}
    Volume_Down::Send {F9}
    Volume_Mute::Send {F8}
    Browser_Home::Send {tab}
    RButton:: Send {i}
        ;blind END.

Return
#IfWinActive ; Reset outside window.
    ;Coded by Elitegamer360
If you are using my Green start button script take care not to edit it by mistake.

Save then Exit the editing window. Right click again on that hotkey icon and select Reload This Script.

You should be good to go. I remapped my remote last night to emulate your one just to double check :-) let me know if all is good.

The good thing about autohotkey unlike Eventghost it takes ZERO CPU usage and only uses couple of kb's of memorry depending on script size no interference, light and superfast, I'm not arguing which one is better because this is not the subject here. Anyways If this goes well then I've got other plans to benefit XBMC MCE remote lovers Wink

Cheers,
EG.
Thumbs Up 
elitegamer360 Wrote:Thanks :-)

Code:
;Script written to only activate specific keys when XBMC is in focus, Hence mouse functionality issue solved.

SetTitleMatchMode 2    ; Start for XBMC matching in window title/ fast default.
#IfWinActive XBMC ahk_class XBMC ; Script will look for XBMC window before activating the mapping.
                 ; if XBMC is Closed or sent to the background code designed to
                 ; bypass blinding the buttons, to resume proper mouse functionality
                 ; when needed.
        ;blind START.
    Volume_Up:: Send {F10}
    Volume_Down::Send {F9}
    Volume_Mute::Send {F8}
    Browser_Home::Send {tab}
    RButton:: Send {i}
        ;blind END.

Return
#IfWinActive ; Reset outside window.
    ;Coded by Elitegamer360
EG.

I am glad you decided to use the autohotkey to its fullest potential. I think, if you look into it futher, you'll find that there will be no reason to edit any other settings, except for the ahk file to map any key to any function in XBMC, including complex ones such as multiple key presses, sequential presses, etc.

Anyway, above script can just be added to the original "green button" ahk file.

Again, thanks a lot for your hard work and devotion to this project.

Thanks,

P.S. Happy Holidays!
igjunk Wrote:I am glad you decided to use the autohotkey to its fullest potential. I think, if you look into it futher, you'll find that there will be no reason to edit any other settings, except for the ahk file to map any key to any function in XBMC, including complex ones such as multiple key presses, sequential presses, etc.

Anyway, above script can just be added to the original "green button" ahk file.

Again, thanks a lot for your hard work and devotion to this project.

Thanks,

P.S. Happy Holidays!

Ohh no, I'm just scratching the surface here. Wink

Thanks for the support though.

Happy holidays :-)

Cheers,
EG.
Hey guys,

First of all, excellent tutorial. I've got it all working, except for a few issues:

1. I can't seem to get letter keypresses working on my remote (for example, when typing in a search on the youtube add-on). I've already got "Remote sends keypresses" turned on in settings.

2. I used to use EventGhost, and that allowed me to send my system to hibernation by pressing the power button on my remote. Since I've followed this tutorial, this is no longer the case. Instead, it brings up a menu with a whole bunch of options, neither of them being Hibernate. I've gone through the 'shutdown function' setting in 'system settings', but nothing seems to work. Is there a way that I can program the power button on my remote to once again put the system into hibernation (I think Windows 7 calls it S3 hybrid sleep mode)?

3. Lastly, I've followed the advanced settings guide to enable the "SmallStepBackwards" function when playing videos, however this doesn't work at all. When I'm playing videos, the back button still throws me back to the video selection screen.

I'm using Windows 7, running the latest XBMC Dharma 10.0.

If anyone could help me with this, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and a merry Xmas to everyone! Smile
@ djcorvus :

1- Sorry I did not get what is the problem here, do you mean the jumpsms feature does not work, or the Navigation buttons doesn't?

-If you still have Eventghost installed make sure the "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost is Unchecked.

2- Edit my Config.v1.24.reg with notepad and replace this
Code:
0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]         - was "03,82,00" then "04,04,3d" sends alt-F4 now sends "S"
with this one instead
Code:
00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]         - Send PC to Sleep/Hibernate
save, exit, reapply the reg file. and Restart your PC.

3- You must be doing something wrong in the advancedsettings page. I have everything listed step by step.
A- you need to create Advancedsettings.xml file and place it in (Drive where windows is installed\Users\Your User name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata)
B- copy the script listed on site and paste it into that file Using XML Marker , save and exit.
c- Now edit keyboard.xml as instructed.
can't get any simpler than this, are you using my Keyboard.xml v1.76? You still need to do the modifications to v.1.76! I could've done all that and put an updated keyboard.xml and advancedsettings.xml on my site but I did not do it because not every one want the back button to act as "instant replay" so it optional. please follow the steps very carefully and you will do it. :-)

Still struggling, let me know then will see what I can do! I made sure all instructions follow n00b proof so follow the steps on site and you wont go wrong. Big Grin

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:@ djcorvus :

1- Sorry I did not get what is the problem here, do you mean the jumpsms feature does not work, or the Navigation buttons doesn't?

-If you still have Eventghost installed make sure the "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost is Unchecked.

2- Edit my Config.v1.24.reg with notepad and replace this
Code:
0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]         - was "03,82,00" then "04,04,3d" sends alt-F4 now sends "S"
with this one instead
Code:
00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]         - Send PC to Sleep/Hibernate
save, exit, reapply the reg file. and Restart your PC.

3- You must be doing something wrong in the advancedsettings page. I have everything listed step by step.
A- you need to create Advancedsettings.xml file and place it in (Drive where windows is installed\Users\Your User name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata)
B- copy the script listed on site and paste it into that file Using XML Marker , save and exit.
c- Now edit keyboard.xml as instructed.
can't get any simpler than this, are you using my Keyboard.xml v1.76? You still need to do the modifications to v.1.76! I could've done all that and put an updated keyboard.xml and advancedsettings.xml on my site but I did not do it because not every one want the back button to act as "instant replay" so it optional. please follow the steps very carefully and you will do it. :-)

Still struggling, let me know then will see what I can do! I made sure all instructions follow n00b proof so follow the steps on site and you wont go wrong. Big Grin

Cheers,
EG.

1. Sorry, what do you mean by JumpSMS? I just mean that the numerical keys on my remote don't send character data (eg. the "2" button doesn't send "A, B or C"). I have eventghost installed, but it's no longer running (not even in the background). Surely that shouldn't matter, right?

2. I tried your code replacement (without the <CODE> </CODE> markers, is this right?), and my remote just ceased to work completely until I reverted to your original registry file. Sorry for being an absolute noob, but what am I doing wrong?

3. I must have followed these instructions no less than 6 times. I'm sorry to be a pain, but it's still not working for me. No matter what I do, it still throws me back to the video selection screen.

Let me know if you need any further info. Your help is greatly appreciated.
djcorvus Wrote:1. Sorry, what do you mean by JumpSMS? I just mean that the numerical keys on my remote don't send character data (eg. the "2" button doesn't send "A, B or C"). I have eventghost installed, but it's no longer running (not even in the background). Surely that shouldn't matter, right?

2. I tried your code replacement (without the <CODE> </CODE> markers, is this right?), and my remote just ceased to work completely until I reverted to your original registry file. Sorry for being an absolute noob, but what am I doing wrong?

3. I must have followed these instructions no less than 6 times. I'm sorry to be a pain, but it's still not working for me. No matter what I do, it still throws me back to the video selection screen.

Let me know if you need any further info. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1- it sounds like you did not copy my latest Keyboard.xml to the XBMC "keymaps" folder like instructed in the Remote setup page, or Eventghost HID service is secrewing with the remote setup.

If EventGhost is installed then yes it does matter, you just can not ignore instructions and expect things to work. You need to "DISABLE HID SERVICE" in eventGhost!

2- ohhh so sorry my bad I gave you the wrong button number with the code, my sincere apologies.

go back and edit the the reg file with notepad:

look for this 0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]

just replace the numbers with these numbers instead:
0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\
Save, exit then apply and restart.

do this now and test with Eventghost Hid Service disabled and let me know.

Sorry for the mistake again.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:1- it sounds like you did not copy my latest Keyboard.xml to the XBMC "keymaps" folder like instructed in the Remote setup page, or Eventghost HID service is secrewing with the remote setup.

If EventGhost is installed then yes it does matter, you just can not ignore instructions and expect things to work. You need to "DISABLE HID SERVICE" in eventGhost!

2- ohhh so sorry my bad I gave you the wrong button number with the code, my sincere apologies.

go back and edit the the reg file with notepad:

look for this 0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]

just replace the numbers with these numbers instead:
0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\
Save, exit then apply and restart.

do this now and test with Eventghost Hid Service disabled and let me know.

Sorry for the mistake again.

Cheers,
EG.

1. Ok this is what I did. I've run EventGhost (since it wasn't running -- not even in the background processes) and checked "Disable HID service". I clicked "save" then shut down the service again. Restarted XBMC, and there's absolutely no difference. Should I have kept EventGhost running? If so, then what's the point of your custom registry hacks, considering one of the main benefits is to eliminate reliance on 3rd party apps such as EventGhost?

EDIT: It seems that my remote seems to cease functioning as long as "Disable HID service" in EventGhost is ticked. I had to run EventGhost, untick that option and restart my PC to get my remote working again. (is this normal?) I then re-applied the new keyboard config (as I did before) and now it seems to be working. I think part of the problem is that I was previously running Dharma RC2 and now upgraded to Dharma 10.0. Looks like this problem is now solved. Smile

2. I've copied and replaced the text exactly as you told me and now my PC is now going to sleep straight away with no menu. Thanks for this. Smile

P.S. About #3... I repeated exactly the same steps as I did previously and now for some reason it's working lol... No idea what was different last time. Either way I'm very grateful for all your help. Thanks!
djcorvus Wrote:1. Ok this is what I did. I've run EventGhost (since it wasn't running -- not even in the background processes) and checked "Disable HID service". I clicked "save" then shut down the service again. Restarted XBMC, and there's absolutely no difference. Should I have kept EventGhost running? If so, then what's the point of your custom registry hacks, considering one of the main benefits is to eliminate reliance on 3rd party apps such as EventGhost?

2. I've copied and replaced the text exactly as you told me and my remote ceased to function at all within XBMC (yet again)....

Any other ideas??

P.S. What about #3??

1- My setup does not rely on Eventghost or any other third party application, it's a matter of FACT.

btw, what remote are using? do you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices.

With whatever you have setup and running, I want you to enable debug log in XBMC and go back to xbmc home screen. Press all the navigation buttons then press the back button and finally press the power button on your remote. {edit: if you fixed the power button like a I told you then do not press it while doing the Debug log, I want to see that you pressed all the other buttons. The debug log will tell}

Then I want you to play a video press the back button while playing the video. And then exit XBMC after doing all that.

Debug log can be found here C:\Users\Elite\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.txt

Please post the full debug log in pastebin.com

Thanks,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:1- My setup does not rely on Eventghost or any other third party application, it's a matter of FACT.

btw, what remote are using? do you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices.

With whatever you have setup and running, I want you to enable debug log in XBMC and go back to xbmc home screen. Press all the navigation buttons then press the back button and finally press the power button on your remote. {edit: if you fixed the power button like a I told you then do not press it while doing the Debug log, I want to see that you pressed all the other buttons. The debug log will tell}

Then I want you to play a video press the back button while playing the video. And then exit XBMC after doing all that.

Debug log can be found here C:\Users\Elite\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.txt

Please post the full debug log in pastebin.com

Thanks,
EG.

Read the post above yours, specifically the edit. Seems I've solved the problem. Smile
Thank you for this reg file, my MCE remote is now working better than ever.

I have one issue: The Green button (MCE launch button) will only launch XBMC once. If I exit XBMC and try the green button again, it will not launch. I have to actually restart the PC if I want to launch XBMC with the remote again. There's nothing in the Task Manager about XBMC still being open, so I can't figure out what is wrong.
When I had my remote configured with Event Ghost, I had no problems using the green button to launch XBMC as many times as I want.

I wonder if this is a Windows bug in relation to keyboard shortcuts or something? Or does anyone know a way to fix this?

I could still use EventGhost just for the purposes of launching XBMC, but it sucks to be so close to removing EG, yet still needing to use it Smile
Prizm4 Wrote:Thank you for this reg file, my MCE remote is now working better than ever.

I have one issue: The Green button (MCE launch button) will only launch XBMC once. If I exit XBMC and try the green button again, it will not launch. I have to actually restart the PC if I want to launch XBMC with the remote again. There's nothing in the Task Manager about XBMC still being open, so I can't figure out what is wrong.
When I had my remote configured with Event Ghost, I had no problems using the green button to launch XBMC as many times as I want.

I wonder if this is a Windows bug in relation to keyboard shortcuts or something? Or does anyone know a way to fix this?

I could still use EventGhost just for the purposes of launching XBMC, but it sucks to be so close to removing EG, yet still needing to use it Smile

1- What remote are you uing?
2- Do you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices?
3- What Windows version are you using & is it 32bit or 64bit?
4- What XBMC version are using?
5- Whats your Green Start button mapped to? if you do not know, Which config.reg file did you use? i.e. v1.24 etc.. Have you changed the Green Start button mapping?
6- Are you using the latest Green start button method listed on site?
7- The Eventghost "Hid Service" could hinder the functionality of your remote? I'm not familiar with Eventghost because I do not use it! One of the guys reported back to me that Disabling "hid Service" makes the remote function better "I thank him for this info"? just try and see if it have any effect on your remote's functionality after disabling it?

This is a new one for me, I have and many tested the latest Green start button method and its superb. It never failed me! not even once :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:1- What remote are you uing?
2- Do you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices?
3- What Windows version are you using & is it 32bit or 64bit?
4- What XBMC version are using?
5- Whats your Green Start button mapped to? if you do not know, Which config.reg file did you use? i.e. v1.24 etc.. Have you changed the Green Start button mapping?
6- Are you using the latest Green start button method listed on site?
7- The Eventghost "Hid Service" could hinder the functionality of your remote? I'm not familiar with Eventghost because I do not use it! One of the guys reported back to me that Disabling "hid Service" makes the remote function better "I thank him for this info"? just try and see if it have any effect on your remote's functionality after disabling it?

This is a new one for me, I have and many tested the latest Green start button method and its superb. It never failed me! not even once :-)

Cheers,
EG.

1. Using official MCE remote
2. Yes, eHome driver in Device Manager.
3. 64-bit Windows 7
4. XBMC 10.0
5. Green button mapped to CTRL+SHIFT+W, using reg 1.24.
6. Not using the script mentioned as part of 1.24 - I'd like to avoid having a script on startup, just seems messy.
7. HID service is not disabled. If you do this, remote response in XBMC becomes slow.

I don't think it has to do with the remote itself. As I say, the remote works perfect in XBMC, and works fine in loading XBMC the very first time. Even if I press CTRL+SHIFT+W on the *keyboard*, it won't load the program.

If I manually open XBMC again, the remote works perfect while using it.

Strange.
Prizm4 Wrote:1. Using official MCE remote
2. Yes, eHome driver in Device Manager.
3. 64-bit Windows 7
4. XBMC 10.0
5. Green button mapped to CTRL+SHIFT+W, using reg 1.24.
6. Not using the script mentioned as part of 1.24 - I'd like to avoid having a script on startup, just seems messy.
7. HID service is not disabled. If you do this, remote response in XBMC becomes slow.

I don't think it has to do with the remote itself. As I say, the remote works perfect in XBMC, and works fine in loading XBMC the very first time. Even if I press CTRL+SHIFT+W on the *keyboard*, it won't load the program.

If I manually open XBMC again, the remote works perfect while using it.

Strange.

Ok everything looks fine :-)

Btw if you are using config v1.24 then the green start button is mapped to win-alt-Enter and not Cntrl-Shft-W unless you changed it.

Trust me on this when I tell you about something, it will 100% work. When you install autohotkey it can not bee seen on your system light weight app no configuration whatsoever programming script based.

Just try the script you will thank me, you won't be disappointed. It takes 3kb of memory and ZERO CPU cycles. You can finally uninstall Eventghost. I would not put something in my setup that create mess on other peoples machines, just trust me on this. Don't forget to use the 64bit script, when you use it you'll never go back!

Edit: don't forget to check what your green start button sends, if you'll try the script make sure the button is mapped to Win-alt-enter

Cheers,
EG.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15