• 27(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
elitegamer360 Wrote:OK, I had this extra free time after fixing the GSB bug, now check this keyboard.xml. I've done a little mod of the Clear and back buttons and I left the back button act as a 7 second replay during video playback.

I recommend you backup your current keyboard.xml just incase you do not like the one above lol.

If you find when you press back on a specific screen and nothing happens let me know that specific window and I'll fix it.

Cheers,
EG.

Doesn´t work for me. I kno that it is the correct xml since the smallstepback is in effect on the BACK-button but otherwise everything is the same...
balast Wrote:That's a good question, I know.. but without IR Server when I have updated registry, overwrite the keyboard.xml file.. remote was dead in windows and xbmc.. I have Windows XP SP3 what I guess changes a bit the conditions. I have decided to use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36936 and according to this I have managed to have remote active in xbmc (without top menu buttons) and get XBMC start from Green Button via transaltor (part of IR Server)

I can try to kill IR Server and Translator today but I am afraid then my remote won't act at all again.

Maybe I am missing something?

I have bought recommended remote. Windows itself wasnt able to find drivers for eHome Infrared Receiver automatically so I have tried to use Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (as recommended.. even tho I have Windows XP Pro SP3) but system has denied that operation by saying that I posses newer files already in my system.. ok then.. finally I have installed drivers for eHome Infrared Receiver manually by pointing on manufacurer (Microsoft) and product.. I got warning that these drivers are not signed (bla, bla) and I got it installed. What happened later is adding your registry and keyboard.xml files and suprise that remote doesn't work.. and showkey.exe.. showed.. nothing.. so I have decided to follow above link and get IR Server..

Please let me know if you know any way to bypass IR Server.

Thanks.

Discuss here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93034

Cheers,
EG.
Hi!

I did PM Elitegamer about this earlier and he tried helping me out. He pointed me to version 1.79 of the keyboard.xml file, I figured I'll post my question here when I found the forum instead of bothering him on PM Smile.

I have now replaced my keyboard.xml file with 1.80 and also latest version of GSB.

I am not able to achieve what I want regarding button linking to directories.

Only Library buttons that work for me now is Music and Pictures.

What I want also:
I would like to assign the radio button to point towards "TV Shows"
I would like the video button to point towards "Movies".

I am using a Harmony One remote but the same questions applies to my Asrock MCE remote. (I have a Asrock HTPC with MCE remote).

What I have used:
1. Keyboard.xml version 1.80
2. GSB version 1.03 + Autohotkey
3. Config.reg v.1.24

The green button works as it should, only problem is regarding my media libraries.

GSB also works perfectly for taking me to the MAIN menu of XBMC.
tormi Wrote:Hi!

What I want also:
I would like to assign the radio button to point towards "TV Shows"
I would like the video button to point towards "Movies".

Tormi, I do not understand what is the problem! I PMed you what you needed to do, but seems you still having issuesHuh Keyboard.xml v1.80 should've atleast solved your Videos button issue.

Now, I want you to use Showkey.exe point your ASROCK REMOTE towards the IR receiver and press the Radio button and the Videos Button. Please post back what Showkey.exe outputs for both buttons.

my remote gives me this output, same as Config v1.24:
Radio button "<a mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, a, 3)</a>"
Videos button "<e mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, e, 3)</e>"

By using Keyboard.xml v1.80 and the above output the Radio button will launch the Playlist view, and Videos Button will take you directly to TV Shows view.

Please post what the buttons send. do as shown above and then I'll be able to help you.

Cheers,
EG.
Thanks for your continued help here elitegamer. The reason for me bringing this to the forum was that I thought it would be easier for you and potentionally others to help here instead of PM. I figured you probably had enough to do and me PM'ing you questions when I found your thread was misuse of your valuable time Smile

My buttons shows this within showkey.exe:

Radio button -> "<a mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, a, 3)</a>" (Same as yours)
KeyID: 65 (0x41) - VK_A
Mod: Ctrl

Video button -> "<e mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, e, 3)</e>" (Same as yours)
KeyID: 69 (0x45 - VK_E

In XBMC the following happens when I push the buttons:

Music = Takes me to music library - Good
Pictures = Takes me to pictures category - Good
Video = Takes me to a black/blank screen, no text no pictures, no nothing.
Radio = Takes me nowhere. Nothing happens within XBMC when pushing this button, I stay on the screen where I am when I push the button.

Hopefully this information will make it easier for you to help me out.

My goal would be:

Radio button shows TV Shows Library
Video Button shows Movie Library

If I knew what to put in where I would gladly do it myself.
great job elitegamer360 !

I got a AsRock 100HT remote and everything seems to work fine.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to switch functions on button :

17 Rec (Add / Del Queue) and 48 Rec TV (Show CPU/Video Diagnostic)

button 17 is hard to press on the AsRock remote, you allmost need a pen or something. And i figure that i gonna use add/del more than CPU info Smile
tormi Wrote:Thanks for your continued help here elitegamer. The reason for me bringing this to the forum was that I thought it would be easier for you and potentionally others to help here instead of PM. I figured you probably had enough to do and me PM'ing you questions when I found your thread was misuse of your valuable time Smile

My buttons shows this within showkey.exe:

Radio button -> "<a mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, a, 3)</a>" (Same as yours)
KeyID: 65 (0x41) - VK_A

Video button -> "<e mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, e, 3)</e>" (Same as yours)
KeyID: 69 (0x45 - VK_E

In XBMC the following happens when I push the buttons:

Music = Takes me to music library - Good
Pictures = Takes me to pictures category - Good
Video = Takes me to a black/blank screen, no text no pictures, no nothing.
Radio = Takes me nowhere. Nothing happens within XBMC when pushing this button, I stay on the screen where I am when I push the button.

Hopefully this information will make it easier for you to help me out.

My goal would be:

Radio button shows TV Shows Library
Video Button shows Movie Library

If I knew what to put in where I would gladly do it myself.

The Radio button will only work if you are in Videos/Music - File/Library mode, if you're on XBMC home screen it will not do anything.

The Video button already shows TVSHOWS library using keyboard.xml v1.80. I cant think why would it result in a blank screen! I tested on my 4 systems and I cant replicate what you claim.

To make the Radio button show TVSHOWS Library and the Video button show Movie library then you need to edit my Keyboard.xml using a proper XML editor like XML Marker.

In Keyboard.xml:

Code:
Search for [b]<e mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</e>[/b]

replace with [b]<e mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles,return)</e>[/b]

Then:

Code:
Search for [b]<a mod="ctrl">Playlist</a>[/b]

Replace with [b]<a mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</a>[/b]

Save and exit.

Now I hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.
zpike1 Wrote:great job elitegamer360 !

I got a AsRock 100HT remote and everything seems to work fine.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to switch functions on button :

17 Rec (Add / Del Queue) and 48 Rec TV (Show CPU/Video Diagnostic)

button 17 is hard to press on the AsRock remote, you allmost need a pen or something. And i figure that i gonna use add/del more than CPU info Smile

You have two options, A- Remap the 2 buttons (swap them over) or B- Edit Keyboard.xml. If you hate to restart then edit keyboad.xml, if you do not mind restarting then remap your buttons.

A- Remapping buttons using MCERemotMapper, Note [do not worry about the id numbers in MCERemotemapper they are just for ordering]:
1- Look for 23 Record button and from the drop down menu select O
2- Look for 72 RecordedTV button and from the drop down menu select Q
3- Click on apply to save Exit and restart.
DONE!

B- Remapping buttons using Keyboard.xml and XML Marker:
1-Look for <q> and </q>
2-Replace all with <o> and </o>
--
1- Look for <o>CodecInfo</o> there will be more than one
2- Replace all with <q>CodecInfo</q>
DONE!

If I were you I would just remap the buttons :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:Thanks :-)

You have two options, A- Remap the 2 buttons (swap them over) or B- Edit Keyboard.xml. If you hate to restart then edit keyboad.xml, if you do not mind restarting then remap your buttons.

A- Remapping buttons using MCERemotMapper, Note [do not worry about the id numbers in MCERemotemapper they are just for ordering]:
1- Look for 23 Record button and from the drop down menu select O
2- Look for 72 RecordedTV button and from the drop down menu select Q
3- Click on apply to save Exit and restart.
DONE!

B- Remapping buttons using Keyboard.xml and XML Marker:
1-Look for <q> and </q>
2-Replace all with <o> and </o>
--
1- Look for <o>CodecInfo</o> there will be more than one
2- Replace all with <q>CodecInfo</q>
DONE!

If I were you I would just remap the buttons :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks alot elitegamer360 Smile The MCE Remote Mapper worked just fine.

When you delete files from the playlist, is there anyway to select all files ?

Button 5a/ Random Visual Present: What does that button do ?

Always find something new to ask about ..sorry Smile
zpike1 Wrote:Thanks alot elitegamer360 Smile The MCE Remote Mapper worked just fine.

When you delete files from the playlist, is there anyway to select all files ?

Button 5a/ Random Visual Present: What does that button do ?

Always find something new to ask about ..sorry Smile

No probs :-)

If you mean you want to delete all the files in the playlist in one go then Yes. You can use the string (playlist.clear) "without the brackets". So in this instant if you want the record button to just clear the playlist entries as well, so doing three functions in three different views then simply in Keyboard.xml

Search for this,
Code:
[b]<q>queue</q>[/b]
it should be the first one that comes right under
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Play</p>

Replace it with this

Code:
[b]<q>playlist.clear</q>[/b]

This way when you are in XBMC home screen or anyother view, you will be able to clear the playlist. Except of course in the other Music/Videos/Playlist views that the Rec button will retain its functionality like normal add/delete playlist entries. Actually Its not bad a idea to have, I can add it over the next release of Keyboard.xml, but not sure when that will be! Laugh

The Button 5a/ Random Visual Preset will cycle through your Visualization effects randomly when pressed, in otherwords can skip Visual effects when music is playing.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:No probs :-)

If you mean you want to delete all the files in the playlist in one go then Yes. You can use the string (playlist.clear) "without the brackets". So in this instant if you want the record button to just clear the playlist entries as well, so doing three functions in three different views then simply in Keyboard.xml

Search for this,
Code:
[b]<q>queue</q>[/b]
it should be the first one that comes right under
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Play</p>

Replace it with this

Code:
[b]<q>playlist.clear</q>[/b]

This way when you are in XBMC home screen or anyother view, you will be able to clear the playlist. Except of course in the other Music/Videos/Playlist views that the Rec button will retain its functionality like normal add/delete playlist entries. Actually Its not bad a idea to have, I can add it over the next release of Keyboard.xml, but not sure when that will be! Laugh

The Button 5a/ Random Visual Preset will cycle through your Visualization effects randomly when pressed, in otherwords can skip Visual effects when music is playing.

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks again for the help, i guess i'll have to wait for the update cuz i couldn't get it to work Smile

I changed <q>Queue</q> on line41 to <q>playlist.clear</q> saved the file and even rebooted. But it still just delete 1 item at time.

When I added folders to the playlist before I installed Registry Config v1.24 & Keyboard.xml v1.80. Only the foldernames was visible. Not every file in the folder like it is now.

Any idea what I could have done wrong ?
zpike1 Wrote:Thanks again for the help, i guess i'll have to wait for the update cuz i couldn't get it to work Smile

I changed <q>Queue</q> on line41 to <q>playlist.clear</q> saved the file and even rebooted. But it still just delete 1 item at time.

You have done it correctly! And there is no need for restarting your pc just close XBMC and relaunch it again. If you add stuff to your playlist and when on the playlist view the "queue button" will normally delete individual entries, that's all good and as expected :-)

To completely clear the play list, go back to home screen press the "queue button". Then go back to music and open playlist you will find that everything is cleared. I did it this way because clear playlist does not act instantly like delete, even if you are in the playlist view! You have to get out and back again in the playlist to see the change!

IMHO this way is good but if you want you can assign another button to clear the playlist, but as I said above even if you are in your playlist view and hit the "playlist.clear" button you will not see the changes unless you go out and then back to the playlist.

zpike1 Wrote:When I added folders to the playlist before I installed Registry Config v1.24 & Keyboard.xml v1.80. Only the foldernames was visible. Not every file in the folder like it is now.

Any idea what I could have done wrong ?

I have no idea, my configuration only for MCE Remote control configuration and keyboard.xml will not change how the stuff in your playlist is displayed.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:You have done it correctly! And there is no need for restarting your pc just close XBMC and relaunch it again. If you add stuff to your playlist and when on the playlist view the "queue button" will normally delete individual entries, that's all good and as expected :-)

To completely clear the play list, go back to home screen press the "queue button". Then go back to music and open playlist you will find that everything is cleared. I did it this way because clear playlist does not act instantly like delete, even if you are in the playlist view! You have to get out and back again in the playlist to see the change!

IMHO this way is good but if you want you can assign another button to clear the playlist, but as I said above even if you are in your playlist view and hit the "playlist.clear" button you will not see the changes unless you go out and then back to the playlist.

I have no idea, my configuration only for MCE Remote control configuration and keyboard.xml will not change how the stuff in your playlist is displayed.

Cheers,
EG.

OK thanks for the help and info Smile
elitegamer360 Wrote:In Keyboard.xml:

Code:
Search for [b]<e mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</e>[/b]

replace with [b]<e mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles,return)</e>[/b]

Then:

Code:
Search for [b]<a mod="ctrl">Playlist</a>[/b]

Replace with [b]<a mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</a>[/b]

It's a damn shame that I have to report back that this does NOT work for me. Just to make sure I have not screwed up anything basic here.

I am supposed to edit the keyboard.xml file that I copied from your site (version 1.80) to my folder c:/Program Files (x86)/XBMC/system/keymaps

I know there is another file located in the Userdata folder, but if I'm correct this file does not need touching right?

I used Notepad ++ which should be XML compliant and I have used for other XML tasks before with no problem.

I do have a Logitech harmony One remote as said, and I could set that up as a MCE keyboard remote. Any clue if this would help me on my way if you have no other suggestions.

It seems very strange that not even the default v.1.80 file takes me to the correct place in Movies library as you said, you have tested it on several setups with no problems, and nobody else have reported errors either.

I just do not understand what I could have done wrong, it seems like it should not be so difficult especially with your very good guidance.
tormi Wrote:It's a damn shame that I have to report back that this does NOT work for me. Just to make sure I have not screwed up anything basic here.

I am supposed to edit the keyboard.xml file that I copied from your site (version 1.80) to my folder c:/Program Files (x86)/XBMC/system/keymaps

I know there is another file located in the Userdata folder, but if I'm correct this file does not need touching right?

I used Notepad ++ which should be XML compliant and I have used for other XML tasks before with no problem.

I do have a Logitech harmony One remote as said, and I could set that up as a MCE keyboard remote. Any clue if this would help me on my way if you have no other suggestions.

It seems very strange that not even the default v.1.80 file takes me to the correct place in Movies library as you said, you have tested it on several setups with no problems, and nobody else have reported errors either.

I just do not understand what I could have done wrong, it seems like it should not be so difficult especially with your very good guidance.

I might know why its not working for you! Do you have keyboard.xml in your userdata folder?
Quote:I know there is another file located in the Userdata folder, but if I'm correct this file does not need touching right?

1- If you have keyboard.xml in your Userdata folder
Code:
C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps
then it will take priority over the ->

2- System keyboard.xml in
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps
so any modifications you do to the second one, it will NOT take effect.

---------------

So to make it simple for you, you either put my keyboard.xml v1.80 in the userdata folder
Code:
C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps
and it will takeover the System one "thats what I do in my machines". Any future updates should be in the userdata folder and NOT in the system folder.

Or if you want to use the System folder
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps
then you should overwrite the original keyboard.xml with v1.80 and make sure that there is NO Keyboard.xml in the userdata folder.

In my guide I just use the System location to avoid confusion. When telling the users which keyboard.xml to modify {System location or Userdata one} its just major headache I just do not want to go in to. They'll learn in due time!

Anyone else having the same issue as tormi?

Cheers,
EG.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15