Install XBMCLive on new Mac mini
Just bought a Mac mini HDMI version to use as a primary htpc. A bit dissapointed finding out that plex/xbmc on macos is nothing imho compared to XBMCLive version. Searched the forum and found nothing on how to install xbmclive on the mac mini. Is it even possible and how do I proceed?
preppie Wrote:Just bought a Mac mini HDMI version to use as a primary htpc. A bit dissapointed finding out that plex/xbmc on macos is nothing imho compared to XBMCLive version. Searched the forum but founding nothing on how to install xbmclive on the mac mini. Is it even possible and how do I proceed?

how is the osx version of xbmc different/worse then the live version ?? a year ago when the *nix versions were the only ones with hw acceleration i would have agreed but these days with the nvidia 9400 and up mac's doing acceleration too the core xbmc is i would say exactly the same

a karmic minimal setup w/ xbmc (or a live setup whichever you prefer) is only different in that you don't have a gui'ed os behind it ... which is a plus or minus depending on the setup Wink
pletopia Wrote:how is the osx version of xbmc different/worse then the live version ?? a year ago when the *nix versions were the only ones with hw acceleration i would have agreed but these days with the nvidia 9400 and up mac's doing acceleration too the core xbmc is i would say exactly the same

a karmic minimal setup w/ xbmc (or a live setup whichever you prefer) is only different in that you don't have a gui'ed os behind it ... which is a plus or minus depending on the setup Wink

OSX has VDA for hw decode and it only handles h.264. Linux has vpdau for hw decode and it handles just about everything.
Could be that this is what is bothering me but I didnt manage to get the Refreshrate thing to work, even though i checked it in settings. The system stays at 60hz even though the movie is 24. I have also had some crashes when trying to play videos which didnt happen in XBMClive. Last but not least i use the xbmclive machine to download torrents and the slow drive in the mac mini (and the horrible apps available) made it impossible to utilise my 100mps fibre internet connection. Obviously not solved by installing XBMCLive but anyway, my question is still there, is it possible?
davilla Wrote:OSX has VDA for hw decode and it only handles h.264. Linux has vpdau for hw decode and it handles just about everything.

now if i only needed hw for anything other then h.264, then this might be useful
preppie Wrote:Could be that this is what is bothering me but I didnt manage to get the Refreshrate thing to work, even though i checked it in settings. The system stays at 60hz even though the movie is 24. I have also had some crashes when trying to play videos which didnt happen in XBMClive. Last but not least i use the xbmclive machine to download torrents and the slow drive in the mac mini (and the horrible apps available) made it impossible to utilise my 100mps fibre internet connection. Obviously not solved by installing XBMCLive but anyway, my question is still there, is it possible?

OSX has utorrent and transmission .. pretty decent clients as far as i've been told (cause i hardly ever use torrents)
Transmission in Macos and XBMCLive isnt in the same ballpark heck it's not even the same sport. Basically it sucks in macos.
pletopia Wrote:now if i only needed hw for anything other then h.264, then this might be useful

Bluray discs can be mpeg2, h264 or vc1 encoded. If it's h264 (and decrypted), VDA will handle it just fine.
I assumed you'd be able to run xbmcLIVE on a Mac Mini. Is this not the case?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install XBMCLive on new Mac mini0