DVD Rips not playing in very many builds of xbmc
This problem is driving me batty. When I start a DVD Rip from either the library or the .ifo file, it will play the introduction, but once it gets to the static screen it simply quits and returns to the XBMC page.

Yes, I have looked repeatedly for this problem in the forums and the Wiki and have not found it.

I have reproduced these results not only in r32019, but also in r31520, r28256, and the release 9.11b. The results have been reproduced on three separate machines.

Machine 1: Dell ZinoHD, AMD Dual core 3250e, 2Gig, Windows Vista Home Premium x32, ATIMobility Radeon 4320

Machine 2: HP Slimline s3000z, AMD Dual Core 4850e, 3 Gig, Windows7 Ultimate x32, Nvidia GEForce 9300GE

Machine 3: MSI U100 Notebook, Atom N270, 2 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate, Mobile Intel 945 Express Video Adapter

All of the builds were tested on Machine 1. On Machine 2, only r32019 and r28256. On Machine 3, only r28256.

On all machines I have been able to start the IFO files properly and view the movies in other players. On Machine 1, Total Media Theater 3 and PowerDVD 10. On Machine 2, Total Media Theater 3. On Machine 3, Windows Media Center.

I have tested at least 3 separate DVD Rips. I can state with specificity that at least one of these rips actually worked under a previous version, but I do not recall which build it was.

I have posted a debug log (yes, debug) at furrydad's debug log

The common factor I have seen in all of the debug logs is the error message MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED

I have searched on that and returned very little helpful information.

I would like to think there was something wrong with the rip, but this is probably not the case. First, at least one played on XBMC previously and all three rips played on the other media players on the listed machines.

Love the XBMC project, frustrated as heck (of course, this only happens when I'm building a media center for Mom's birthday), wish I knew enough about coding as to be helpful, instead of just begging for a solution.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
I have way too many DVD rips and none of them have failed in *any* XBMC build I tried (at least 25).

The only difference is that I don't play the VIDEO_TS.IFO file I don't think that's the right way to do it. If it's scanned in the library, I just click the movie in the library and it plays. If it doesn't, I got to Videos -> Files go to the directory where the rip is, press info in my remote (context menu) and select Play.

Anyway your case looks like a bad rip, or a slow (network?) drive:
Code:
22:51:43 T:1856 M:1255440384   DEBUG: CDVDFileInfo::ExtractThumb - decode failed in Z:\DVD\Shaun of the Dead (2004)\VIDEO_TS\VTS_11_0.VOB
22:53:27 T:2004 M:1233190912   DEBUG: CThumbExtractor::DoWork - trying to extract thumb from video file Z:\DVD\Shaun of the Dead (2004)\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
22:51:55 T:3148 M:1253703680 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED

But I dunno.
Thanks, but I cannot agree.

This problem occurs whether I play directly from the library or from the IFO file. 2nd, the rips work in other players and using the same network connection, which is a wired ethernet connection (except for machine 3 which is g wireless). Finally, though it was not the posted rip, another rip I had did work properly in the past, but does not now work.

Tonight after work I will search for a DVD Rip that plays properly and I will post that along with one that does not.
The problem seems specific to a particular DVD as XBMC plays many DVDs successfully.
To help you we'll need you to upload a sample to reproduce the problem. When you have that, create a Trac ticket with a reference to the sample and a full debug log.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would still try to copy that very one that fails to the local hard disk drive of the computer running XBMC and try it...
CrystalP Wrote:The problem seems specific to a particular DVD as XBMC plays many DVDs successfully.
To help you we'll need you to upload a sample to reproduce the problem. When you have that, create a Trac ticket with a reference to the sample and a full debug log.

Again, I cannot agree. This has failed on at least 6 DVD's, I only posted one to keep the log small. When you say "upload a sample", what do you mean, the ripped DVDs?
Yes, we need a sample. Otherwise we can't say for sure whether there's just something wrong at your end or whether there's something wrong generally.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

You can create a "small" sample by moving away all "large" vob files in the video_ts directory. Then try the dvd and make sure you end up with the same error in the log.
Quote:22:53:26 T:1684 M:1235292160 INFO: msg: libdvdread: Could not open Z:\DVD\Shaun of the Dead (2004)\VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB with libdvdcss.
22:53:26 T:1684 M:1235283968 ERROR: CDVDInputStreamNavigator:TonguerocessBlock - exception thrown in dvdnav_get_next_cache_block.

If you don't, keep readding .vob files the log complains about. Then upload a zip of that directory somewhere.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

The only DVD iso files I can't seem to play are DVD's I made myself, ie custom menus that are static.
Desktop / Media Server: Win10 x64, ThermalTake Commander G42 case, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX750, CM M 1000w, 8GB GSkill, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120GB, 2x WD Black 1TB RAID 1, WD 6TB + WD 4TB spanned, single 3TB

Intel NUC with Openelec in TV room.
Although I can play iso files (they seem to be the only videos I can play with latest nighlies) they take about 2 minutes to load, instead of just a few seconds like they used to. I'm on Win7 x64
...and again, no resolution... sigh! I am having the same problem + more, and there is very little info about this DVD rip thing. furrydad, did you find a solution or a clue?

I have dozens of good DVD rips, some as ISO but most as directory structures with video_ts folder and VOB and ifo files inside. With previous releases I was able to play at least some of the rips. I would play the main IFO file, and get the DVD menu and all. Now with the Dharma release IFO refuse to play. All of them. I've changed permissions of all files and directories to 777 just in case - no difference.

Most ISO's also don't play anymore. In some, I am able to get to the menu but then XBMC would just return to the main video menu when I try toplay the feature.

I'll post the log when I get home. What else would be useful?

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 server with all latest updates, as of Dec 26, 2010, and XBMC from ppa, installed via apt-get. It used to be a beta, last time it upgraded to the release.
Wow! Glad I stumbled across this post I have exactly the same problem I have 100's or SD DVD rips and some play some don't.

They were all ripped in the same way - using AnyDVD.
They are mostly .ISO files some are VOB files.
Some worked in some versions of XBMC and some didn't yet I never found a version that worked with them all it its been driving me crazy to the point that its stopped me from using XBMC :-(
crocobar Wrote:...I have dozens of good DVD rips, some as ISO but most as directory structures with video_ts folder and VOB and ifo files inside. With previous releases I was able to play at least some of the rips. I would play the main IFO file, and get the DVD menu and all. Now with the Dharma release IFO refuse to play. All of them. I've changed permissions of all files and directories to 777 just in case - no difference...
Ok, the main issue for me is now resolved (that is, playing IFOs), thanks to a friend of mine who saw the reason in the log. Most of my rips had directory and file names in lower case, and apparently that is a problem in the version of XBMC I am running now (Dharma). I would click on the lower-case video_ts.ifo, and it won't play, with a log saying that it couldn't open VIDEO_TS.IFO. It used to be not like that but whatever, with all files and directories in the DVD folder renamed to upper case, it now works.

I hope this helps some other people, it was really not obvious...
Dude. You are a God Big Grin I've been trying to get my .ISO files to load forever and its been driving me nuts. This totally worked. For me the file names didn't matter it was the Path that had to be all caps or all lowercase

Thanks
M
That's interesting info, but unfortunately I can't make things fail with Dharma or trunk on Win7 after changing the case of the folder and/or the files of a DVD rips. It just works. More info please.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD Rips not playing in very many builds of xbmc0