[How To] My Sickbeard, CP, SABnzbd, XBMC 4 computer setup.
I just thought I'd share my home setup, closest thing XBMC forums has to a "Car Pics" thread.

I currently have 4 machines in the house:
SheevaPlug - 8GB SD Card - Debian Sid
OpenSolaris Server - 2x1TB Mirror (boot) 5x1.5TB RaidZ2.
HTPC Box - 500GB I had laying around - Ubuntu 10.04
MacBookPro - 100GB SSD (boot), 640GB (User Folder, minus ~/Library/)

OpenSolaris and OS X come with AutoFS enabled by default. In fact it's how user folders on OpenSolaris are installed by default.

AutoFS is just an automounter. It basically makes it so that NFS (or SMB) drives are automatically mounted when you go into the /net/[HOST]/* folders. The great thing is that you can also use it to loop back to localhost, meaning that you can use a common path on all 4 machines and no matter which one you're on, it looks the same. (Except for some reason OS X won't talk to Solaris over autofs, regular NFS works great).

In Debian/Ubuntu the autofs package is autofs5. There is one thing to configure:
Code:
sudo su -c 'echo "/net -hosts /etc/auto.net" >> /etc/auto.master'

On each of the machines I have the following usernames (& IDs)
MacBookPro: (me:501)
OpenSolaris: (me:501), (dl:1002) [OpenSolaris STILL has an 8 character limit]
SheevaPlug: (me:501), (downloader:1002)
HTPC: (me:501), (xbmc:1001)

dl runs: SABnzbd.
downloader runs: CouchPotato and SickBeard.

Here's a flow chart:

Everything is called from the full autofs path through /net, even if it runs locally. For example, when doing the initial import of my TV shows with SickBeard, I ran it on my MacBook Pro with:
python /net/plug.local/home/downloader/Sick-Beard/SickBeard.py
that command will work on any computer that runs python and autofs.

XBMC is setup to use a MySQL database. The paths I added were the autofs paths:
/net/server.local/tank/TV/, /net/server.local/tank/Movies/, & /net/server.local/tank/Music/

This way I can add new XBMC machines to the house and the paths and everything work, without having to make sure they're mounted or using SMB. (Since there isn't a Windows machine in the house, it's not running anywhere.)

Except when the NFS server decides to core dump, it works great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[How To] My Sickbeard, CP, SABnzbd, XBMC 4 computer setup.0