Lowest Spec HTPC Build to stream 7.1 over HDMI
I'm in the middle of trying to spec out a HTPC build that will allow me to play 1080p and stream 7.1 audio over the same HDMI cable.

I looked at the Atom/ION combos but if I'm right they don't support 7.1 streaming.

Over on AVS forums I found this list of recommended parts for a solid HTPC. Does anyone have any comments on it ? My needs will pretty much be streaming video from my NAS. The HTPC will be hard wired so I don't need wireless. It will run Windows (because I don't know my way around Linux). Ideally XBMC will be on 80% of the time with the odd break out to Skype, BD playing and maybe some web surfing.

Here's the AVS list:

CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler
Motherboard: ASRock H55M/USB3 LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX
Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit
Graphics Card (Optional): Sapphire HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB 100287L
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS SATA 3.0Gbps 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W
Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote,

Would the onboard graphics processor be enough, or should I get the additional card ? I'm also tempted to replace the 500gb drive with a SSD as I'll only need the OS locally. Is there a big enough performance difference with SSD to warrant the move ?

Thanks in advance.
consider learning some linux and save some money - this looks like way too much PC for what you want to do, or can do under linux

and if you're not hosting the files locally, then definitely consider an SSD - 30GB should be plenty
mr.sparkle Wrote:consider learning some linux and save some money - this looks like way too much PC for what you want to do, or can do under linux

and if you're not hosting the files locally, then definitely consider an SSD - 30GB should be plenty

Noted on the SSD.

I guess I could go down the Linux path. Ideally it's set once and forget. What flavour of Linux would be best with XBMC ? My fear is having to fluff around at Linux command line level trying to update drivers and managing the screw everything up. But I guess XBMC Live might help circumvent that...
dalben Wrote:Noted on the SSD.

I guess I could go down the Linux path. Ideally it's set once and forget. What flavour of Linux would be best with XBMC ? My fear is having to fluff around at Linux command line level trying to update drivers and managing the screw everything up. But I guess XBMC Live might help circumvent that...

That is the exact reason to use xbmc live. Makes your device more of an appliance.
I seem to recall reading that the ion (9400) DOES do 7.1 channel LPCM. I'm pretty sure a $20 GT210 card will at least do 5.1. What ever you do, avoid ATI anything.
mr.sparkle Wrote:I seem to recall reading that the ion (9400) DOES do 7.1 channel LPCM. I'm pretty sure a $20 GT210 card will at least do 5.1. What ever you do, avoid ATI anything.

hmmm, I'd like to see that confirmed. The AVS site table, here, says only yhe ATI or the H55 Intel chipset / HD5450 & 5850 GPUs support TrueHD & DTS-HD streaming.

XBMC Live is looking like a better option now as long as it's easy to pop out of XBMC and run Skype and a browser session.
dalben Wrote:hmmm, I'd like to see that confirmed. The AVS site table, here, says only yhe ATI or the H55 Intel chipset / HD5450 & 5850 GPUs support TrueHD & DTS-HD streaming.

XBMC Live is looking like a better option now as long as it's easy to pop out of XBMC and run Skype and a browser session.

If you want DTS HD and Dolby True HD bitstreaming, then you need not only those GPUs but some sort of pay for Windows program to send them along to the receiver in the way blessed by the media overloards.

But that only matters if you have a $1000 AV receiver that does some crazy post processing on those formats. To most receivers 8 channel LCPM (a NON proprietary lossless audio standard used on a lot of Blu Rays) coming across the HDMI gives the same result as bitstreaming (it IS lossless audio one way or another), and that is what Nvidia supports.

I have my ION box setup to HD audio on the computer to be sent to the receiver uncompressed. Linux supports that, as does XBMC.

poofyhairguy Wrote:If you want DTS HD and Dolby True HD bitstreaming, then you need not only those GPUs but some sort of pay for Windows program to send them along to the receiver in the way blessed by the media overloards.

But that only matters if you have a $1000 AV receiver that does some crazy post processing on those formats. To most receivers 8 channel LCPM (a NON proprietary lossless audio standard used on a lot of Blu Rays) coming across the HDMI gives the same result as bitstreaming (it IS lossless audio one way or another), and that is what Nvidia supports.

I have my ION box setup to HD audio on the computer to be sent to the receiver uncompressed. Linux supports that, as does XBMC.

Ah, thanks for that. So LPCM is enough and handled by the ION without too many problems ? The AV Receiver I have is the Denon 4308 and will up/downgrade to the 4811 when it's released.

So, an Atom / ION combo will do what I want it to do then ? Either Windows or Linux ? That makes life a bit cheaper.

At the end of the day I just need something simple to keep the WAF high and ideally have just one HDMI cable running from the HTPC to the AV Receiver providing Video and Audio 7.1
dalben Wrote:Ah, thanks for that. So LPCM is enough and handled by the ION without too many problems ? The AV Receiver I have is the Denon 4308 and will up/downgrade to the 4811 when it's released.

So, an Atom / ION combo will do what I want it to do then ? Either Windows or Linux ? That makes life a bit cheaper.

At the end of the day I just need something simple to keep the WAF high and ideally have just one HDMI cable running from the HTPC to the AV Receiver providing Video and Audio 7.1

ION will do what you want, because that is exactly what I want. My sig is the path to the world's highest WAF setup. And the ION can deliver- I have played on it my straight Avatar Blu Ray rip which is the maximum of the standard possible.

Put the saved money into a SSD, and an ION screams on menus and booting to the point of feeling like an appliance.

You can go either way with OS, but I prefer Linux for the complete appliance feel.

One thing to note is that even though XBMC can decode Dolby True HD, it can't decode DTS HD currently (could change soon). It does not matter to me, as I decode all HD audio to multi-channel FLAC in mkvs to save space and use a lossless standard I have more experience with. Here is a guide I use to do that:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

As far as Bitstreaming of HD codecs goes, I think that is the lamest and most overrated checkbox in Home Theaterland right now. Since we are talking about lossless audio one way or the other, why does it matter where the sound is decoded? It doesn't.

The only point of HD audio bitstreaming is that it provides a protected path for HD audio so that the media overlords can sleep better at night. I personally really hate DRM, so I HATE HD Audio Codecs and bitstreaming. Seriously all DTS HD and Dolby True HD is FLAC/WAV that is blessed by the same jerks that have gone out of their way to make ripping Blu Rays hard. I laugh at their damn bitstreaming protected path, just as I laugh at HDCP.

Personally, I just decode all HD audio right when I rip the Blu Ray. This saves me tons of space (as multi-channel FLAC is king of lossless codecs), and allows me to use the superior mkv container over the m2ts junk.

The only point in killing yourself to get bitstreaming HD audio is if you have a $2000 AV receiver that does some sort of crazy post processing to those codecs. Most receivers don't- they treat 8 channel PCM the same as DTS HD and Dolby True HD. In fact a lot of older Blu Rays only had LCPM audio, it is only recently with media companies going overboard with DRM do things like the super proprietary DTS HD show up on every new disk.

I HATE DRM, and I hate wasting storage space that I don't have to, so I really dislike the notion that bitstreaming HD audio is some sort "superior" setup for Blu Ray playback. I promise I get the same audio experience that the person killing themselves to bitstream HD audio gets with my multichannel FLAC passed via PCM to the receiver. HD Audio bitstreaming is more about getting the warm and fuzzys in the stomach about seeing the DTS HD light on the receiver light up over some difference your ears can actually hear....

so true, poofy.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:so true, poofy.

Sorry, I have been dying to rant about that.

Everywhere on the net when I try to push XBMC Live as the best HTPC solution I get the "well it can't bitstream HD audio" pushback and it drives me crazy. I mean all these people who work to tear away DRM to rip the Blu Ray DEMAND that when they play the rip the audio runs back into a DRM hole.

It has been driving me nuts....

Nice rant poofy. Fair enough too. I'm relatively new to the world of Blue Ray and HD audio so while a rant, it was informative..

I now think I am going the Windows route at least initially as I sold the HTPC to she who must be obeyed as something we could then use for Skype so the grand parents could see the little ones playing and as a possible web browser. The comments I had in the Linux support area suggest a full Ubuntu install to do that. My lack of Linux knowledge means I'll go windows initially and then in my spare time (Ha !) I'll start dabbling with a Linux build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest Spec HTPC Build to stream 7.1 over HDMI0