DXVA not on by default? Hang problems.
Hello Smile

I just reinstalled my ASRock Nettop ION 330HT with Windows7 x64 a couple of days ago here with all the drivers for the system and got it up and running smoothly. I then Installed xbmc for Windows on it (I didn't get a nightly), configured it and ran my first movie on it.

The first movie was 720P, no problems at all. Perfect playback. I then tried a 1080P movie, the whole system became slow and I had like 1fps or something like that. So I figured DXVA wasn't working.

Asked the Google fairy and found out there is a release of xbmc that use a different player called DSPlayer. Installed it and configred an xml file, tried the same movie again and everything was fine at this point. CPU load was about 3-5% while playing a 1080P. However I don't seem to be able to play .mov or .wmv files with the DSPlayer (Dont know if it works with the default player, I never tried).

Also, xbmc sometimes crashes when I skip forward in movies, usually at the end of the movies. Not all the time but like every 3 or 4 movie it will just get stuck and hang and I have to bring up the keyboard to force it down with task manager and then start it again. Windows itself has never crashed, not even once. This even happens while playing standard xvid movies.

My questions then Smile

1. Isn't xbmc DXVA enabled by default? Do I really have to use DSPlayer?
2. Any idea why xbmc keeps crashing/hanging?
3. What release of xbmc is recommended for us Atom+nvidia-ION users?
4. While watching a movie and pressing OK button on the remote brings up a menu on the top of the screen. Going idle here does not make this menu go away. Instead I have to click the clear button on the remote. Is there anyway to make this menu disappear by itself when idle? It goes away by it self if I bring it up with my mouse. So I figured it should with the remote as well, no?

Thanks, That's about all Big Grin
If you're using v9.11 this does not support hardware acceleration. Try the most recent Dharma beta. Since Dharma will be with us soon, interest in fixing bugs in v9.11 is waning. Although Dharma is in beta the current nightly builds work very well.

JR
radx Wrote:Hello Smile

I just reinstalled my ASRock Nettop ION 330HT with Windows7 x64 a couple of days ago here with all the drivers for the system and got it up and running smoothly. I then Installed xbmc for Windows on it (I didn't get a nightly), configured it and ran my first movie on it.

The first movie was 720P, no problems at all. Perfect playback. I then tried a 1080P movie, the whole system became slow and I had like 1fps or something like that. So I figured DXVA wasn't working.

Asked the Google fairy and found out there is a release of xbmc that use a different player called DSPlayer. Installed it and configred an xml file, tried the same movie again and everything was fine at this point. CPU load was about 3-5% while playing a 1080P. However I don't seem to be able to play .mov or .wmv files with the DSPlayer (Dont know if it works with the default player, I never tried).

Also, xbmc sometimes crashes when I skip forward in movies, usually at the end of the movies. Not all the time but like every 3 or 4 movie it will just get stuck and hang and I have to bring up the keyboard to force it down with task manager and then start it again. Windows itself has never crashed, not even once. This even happens while playing standard xvid movies.

My questions then Smile

1. Isn't xbmc DXVA enabled by default? Do I really have to use DSPlayer?
2. Any idea why xbmc keeps crashing/hanging?
3. What release of xbmc is recommended for us Atom+nvidia-ION users?
4. While watching a movie and pressing OK button on the remote brings up a menu on the top of the screen. Going idle here does not make this menu go away. Instead I have to click the clear button on the remote. Is there anyway to make this menu disappear by itself when idle? It goes away by it self if I bring it up with my mouse. So I figured it should with the remote as well, no?

Thanks, That's about all Big Grin

1a/ No it is not (since DXVA is for nVidia GPUs only), it's available in the Dharma branch and not in the old 9.11 milestone
1b/ No you don't need the DSPlayer fork, this one is relevant only if you want to use an external ffdshow player and control exactly which filters and players should be use by file types
2/ No precise idea if you don't provide us a full debug, go read the sticky on how to post a FULL debug
3/ The recommended release for ION platforms is the Dharma branch which is more than stable and usable, but be warned that when the final release gets out there are changes you'll have to rebuild your library if the routine changes
4/ How the hell are we supposed to guess which remote you are using, there are plenty out there, you'd probably have to check the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap.xml keymap.xml for customisation

And nevertheless, what's the point of using Windows 7 x64 on an ION platform, I strongly doubt you're using more than 4Gs of RAM anyway, please understand than using an x64 version is more problematic than "hype & cool", just stick to x32 when you can, XBMC is x32, most players, most filters etc... Now that's just a hint, free to do whatever you want ;-)

cheers mate
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
jhsrennie Wrote:If you're using v9.11 this does not support hardware acceleration. Try the most recent Dharma beta. Since Dharma will be with us soon, interest in fixing bugs in v9.11 is waning. Although Dharma is in beta the current nightly builds work very well.

JR

Thanks for your advice Jhsrennie, I'll give the Dharma beta a try.

dondre Wrote:1a/ No it is not (since DXVA is for nVidia GPUs only), it's available in the Dharma branch and not in the old 9.11 milestone
1b/ No you don't need the DSPlayer fork, this one is relevant only if you want to use an external ffdshow player and control exactly which filters and players should be use by file types
2/ No precise idea if you don't provide us a full debug, go read the sticky on how to post a FULL debug
3/ The recommended release for ION platforms is the Dharma branch which is more than stable and usable, but be warned that when the final release gets out there are changes you'll have to rebuild your library if the routine changes
4/ How the hell are we supposed to guess which remote you are using, there are plenty out there, you'd probably have to check the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap.xml keymap.xml for customisation

And nevertheless, what's the point of using Windows 7 x64 on an ION platform, I strongly doubt you're using more than 4Gs of RAM anyway, please understand than using an x64 version is more problematic than "hype & cool", just stick to x32 when you can, XBMC is x32, most players, most filters etc... Now that's just a hint, free to do whatever you want ;-)

cheers mate

Thanks for your input dondre.

1. I had to use external filters because the internal ones didn't swing 1080P on my ion box, due to lack of DXVA support. But I'll give the Dharma beta a try. Smile

2. I think I will try the beta instead and ignore the errors I used to have and start out clean and see how things work out.

3. Thanks for the heads up regarding the rebuilding of library.

4. The question wasn't remote specific which is the reason why I didn't mention it. My question was regarding the top menu that comes down by it self. But maybe this is fixed/changed in the Dharma release. I'll find out tonight. Smile

I'm using 2GB of ram (Though I have 4GB that I am going to install), and x86 being able to only access roughly 3.2GB I figured x64 was better. X64 is supposed to run 32bits apps just as smooth as 64bits. But I'll try x86 just the same and compare for myself. Thanks for your tip.

Thanks again guys for your input.
dondre Wrote:1a/ No it is not (since DXVA is for nVidia GPUs only), it's available in the Dharma branch and not in the old 9.11 milestone
Dondre - please check if your going to give authoritative responses - DXVA is not exclusive to Nvidia GPU's.
steelman1991 Wrote:Dondre - please check if your going to give authoritative responses - DXVA is not exclusive to Nvidia GPU's.

You're right mate, I tend to forget that ATI's usage of DXVA is working great now, my bad, it's not limited to nVidia anymore Smile
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
radx Wrote:Thanks for your advice Jhsrennie, I'll give the Dharma beta a try.

Thanks for your input dondre.

1. I had to use external filters because the internal ones didn't swing 1080P on my ion box, due to lack of DXVA support. But I'll give the Dharma beta a try. Smile

2. I think I will try the beta instead and ignore the errors I used to have and start out clean and see how things work out.

3. Thanks for the heads up regarding the rebuilding of library.

4. The question wasn't remote specific which is the reason why I didn't mention it. My question was regarding the top menu that comes down by it self. But maybe this is fixed/changed in the Dharma release. I'll find out tonight. Smile

I'm using 2GB of ram (Though I have 4GB that I am going to install), and x86 being able to only access roughly 3.2GB I figured x64 was better. X64 is supposed to run 32bits apps just as smooth as 64bits. But I'll try x86 just the same and compare for myself. Thanks for your tip.

Thanks again guys for your input.

The top menu is called through "m" key now, it should be remapped for remotes, so far that I know
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
Thanks for the feedback. Smile
Fantastic! This worked for me as well. Thank you very much! Upgraded to Dharma and enabled DVXA, smooth playback!
Figured I would post back here with an update regarding my issues.

I love the Dharma beta! Less stuff to configure and mess around with. Everything worked out of the box. All I had to do was to go and enable DXVA2 and I was set. Very nice work on this release.

I have had a couple of hiccups in my system but nothing really serious. Overall very satisfied with Dharma.

My number one thing that I absolutely love with xbmc is the ability to play compressed media files. I cant figure it out how the developers did that but whatever they did it's awesome. Even being able to fast forward and skip a head, and instant startup while playing a compressed file is most impressive. There has only been one .rar file i have not been able to play. It was a MKV file compressed using the format filename.part001.rar that I had to decompress myself before playing it. It could've been something with the compression too. Not sure. But a big thumbs up from my side Smile

Now off to try some other skins and plugins.. oh and buy an android phone! That remote looks like a killer app Big Grin
Hi, with my asrock ion 330ht-bd I was happy with beta2 and dxva2 acceleration, but with new dharma release (b3,b4,rc1) dxva option is disappeared.
radx Wrote:Figured I would post back here with an update regarding my issues.

I love the Dharma beta! Less stuff to configure and mess around with. Everything worked out xmof the box. All I had to do was to go and enable DXVA2 and I was set. Very nice work on this release.

I have had a couple of hiccups in my system but nothing really serious. Overall very satisfied with Dharma.

My number one thing that I absolutely love with xbmc is the ability to play compressed media files. I cant figure it out how the developers did that but whatever they did it's awesome. Even being able to fast forward and skip a head, and instant startup while playing a compressed file is most impressive. There has only been one .rar file i have not been able to play. It was a MKV file compressed using the format filename.part001.rar that I had to decompress myself before playing it. It could've been something with the compression too. Not sure. But a big thumbs up from my side Smile

Now off to try some other skins and plugins.. oh and buy an android phone! That remote looks like a killer app Big Grin
walker73 Wrote:Hi, with my asrock ion 330ht-bd I was happy with beta2 and dxva2 acceleration, but with new dharma release (b3,b4,rc1) dxva option is disappeared.

It shouldn't have. Debug log please.

One sanity check: right click whatever icon you're using to start XBMC and on the Compatability tab make sure it isn't running in XP compatability mode.

Later: never mind, I see from the thread in the Windows forum that the cause has been found.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXVA not on by default? Hang problems.0