What exactly does "Video Postprocessing" in the settings menu do?
Hi,

I have already searched in the Wiki, but I cannot find what the setting "Video Postprocessing" in the playback settings menu does: I can select Off, SD-Only or SD and HD, but what exactly will happen if it is enabled for SD or HD content? I do not find any menu to chose any postprocessing options, are there any additional settings alowing to adjust what kind of postprocessing is actually used?
+1
+2
Well, obviously, since nobody seems to know the answer, this setting has no effect at all. Why not remove it from the user interface then? Smile
I think it softens the picture a bit making it smoother.
Try it on a bad encoded SD file with many blocks and see what happens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_post-processing
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Clearly we're conducting a double-blind experiment.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Livin Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_post-processing
Big Grin Yeah, ok... but as you can well see, that page is pretty complex. There's tons of post-processing options that can be used. It would be definitely useful to know what's happening "behind the curtain".
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I have always wondered this as well. Does anyone know?
Yeah, maybe it's a placebo Smile
I guess we'll have to look at the sourcecode ourselves, since noone really seems to be able to illuminate that mystery...
Jackie78 Wrote:Yeah, maybe it's a placebo Smile
I guess we'll have to look at the sourcecode ourselves, since noone really seems to be able to illuminate that mystery...

It's not a mystery. It does one specific thing and it's pretty good at it.

If you have a rather pixlated SD media then it can apply a blur like filter effect, that can eliminate pixlation from the video and make it's look better than it actually is.

Just load an SD media with the option disabled and then again with the option enabled and you will be able to spot the difference.

Regards,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:It's not a mystery. It does one specific thing and it's pretty good at it.

If you have a rather pixlated SD media then it can apply a blur like filter effect, that can eliminate pixlation from the video and make it's look better than it actually is.

Just load an SD media with the option disabled and then again with the option enabled and you will be able to spot the difference.

Regards,
EG.

Thanks, I will try that. But the question remains, what happens if it is always set to on? Is it always applied, even to good-quality media, making this look blurry, or is there a rule (only with videos below a certain resolution and/or bitrate)? I guess if not, it would be useful if the user could define when to enable this, not globally, but per file.
Good morning to all of you
I see when i enable the post-processing that in low quality videos the picture becomes much better but when i activate the XBMC's DXVAx2 then is not working at all. My question is how can we have both of them working ?

Have a nice day from the cloudy today Athens..................
SALAMINOMACHOS Wrote:Good morning to all of you
I see when i enable the post-processing that in low quality videos the picture becomes much better but when i activate the XBMC's DXVAx2 then is not working at all. My question is how can we have both of them working ?

Have a nice day from the cloudy today Athens..................

It works on my system when DVXA2 is enabled!

Nice day to you as well Wink

Regards,
EG.
Jackie78 Wrote:Thanks, I will try that. But the question remains, what happens if it is always set to on? Is it always applied, even to good-quality media, making this look blurry, or is there a rule (only with videos below a certain resolution and/or bitrate)? I guess if not, it would be useful if the user could define when to enable this, not globally, but per file.

Why don't you try and let us know :-)

There are enough options already, we need not to complicate things any further. You already can select it to be on all the time or on SD content only, this is more than enough IMHO.

Regards,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What exactly does "Video Postprocessing" in the settings menu do?0