• 16(current)
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop
speed32219 Wrote:Search this thread for a post by me.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78722&page=10

speed32219,

That thread is THIS thread. The only posts I see here from you about wifi are:
1) It sucks on this box
2) You should have left the wifi section in your instructions. Can you point me to a thread that contains your wifi instructions?

I did a global search for you you and wifi, finding the exchange between you and angrycamel, where you recommended downing eth0 to use wlan0. I will try that as soon as I get access to the Jetway.

Thanks for the help.
godfreydanials Wrote:speed32219,

That thread is THIS thread. The only posts I see here from you about wifi are:
1) It sucks on this box
2) You should have left the wifi section in your instructions. Can you point me to a thread that contains your wifi instructions?

I did a global search for you you and wifi, finding the exchange between you and angrycamel, where you recommended downing eth0 to use wlan0. I will try that as soon as I get access to the Jetway.

Thanks for the help.

POST #129 on page 10. It also give steps to install wifi and wpa.
Starting with
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

And then instructions on how to setup wpa 2, whcih I use. Davemex had no problem, which was my answer to his post.
Thank you. For some reason, post 129 is showing up on page 13 for me. I did read your post. I used it as a template to create my /etc/network/interfaces file. I did install the wireless-tools and wpasupplicant. Following another thread, I also installed the 80211 framework. I am not sure that was the right thing to do. My driver is bound to the chip, but I show zero packets TX or RX and Access Point: Not-Associated.

Can you post your output of lsmod | grep ath? This is what I get:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/586880/plain/
godfreydanials Wrote:Thank you. For some reason, post 129 is showing up on page 13 for me. I did read your post. I used it as a template to create my /etc/network/interfaces file. I did install the wireless-tools and wpasupplicant. Following another thread, I also installed the 80211 framework. I am not sure that was the right thing to do. My driver is bound to the chip, but I show zero packets TX or RX and Access Point: Not-Associated.

Can you post your output of lsmod | grep ath? This is what I get:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/586880/plain/

Here ya go!
ath9k 88884 0
ath9k_common 5982 1 ath9k
ath9k_hw 292329 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
ath 8153 2 ath9k,ath9k_hw
mac80211 231959 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
cfg80211 144694 4 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath,mac80211
led_class 2633 1 ath9k

lspci -vv
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1089
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at febf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

I would remove 80211 framework. Do not need it, Maverick 10.10 loads and recognizes the device. If you set it up properly in interfaces and have setup your wireless router properly, should come up right away. That is if you have it close by the wireless GW.
speed32219 Wrote:Here ya go!
ath9k 88884 0
ath9k_common 5982 1 ath9k
ath9k_hw 292329 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
ath 8153 2 ath9k,ath9k_hw
mac80211 231959 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
cfg80211 144694 4 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath,mac80211
led_class 2633 1 ath9k

lspci -vv
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1089
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at febf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

I would remove 80211 framework. Do not need it, Maverick 10.10 loads and recognizes the device. If you set it up properly in interfaces and have setup your wireless router properly, should come up right away. That is if you have it close by the wireless GW.
speed32219,

This all looks the same as mine. I could not use your /etc/network/interfaces file without modification, since my network is running WPA2/PSK with AES encryption, not TKIP. I could not figure out why it was working intermittently, until I realized I had conflicting settings in a /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file. I removed that file and set everyting in the interfaces file. Now the wireless is stable.

This was an experiment to test the xbmc bandwidth requirements on the Jetway and capabilities of my network. I am useing nfs v3 through an 802.11g router. 720p video is just fine, but the high action scenes in 1080p require buffering every 5 minutes or so. These same movies are just fine over 100 mb Ethernet. I guess it is time to look for a deal on an 802.11n router that will run DD-WRT firmware.

Are you useing yours with an n router? If so, which one?
Thanks again for all the help.
I am using a Buffalo Nfinity GW with 5 ethernet ports running dd-wrt as a Bridge between another buffalo Nfinity GW running dd-wrt that is connected to the internet. I recommend the Buffalo products for compatibility with dd-wrt. I get 270 Mbps speeds, currently it shows a 300 Mbps connection with 0 dropped packets and a slew of options including power level adjustments.

DD-wrt rules on these products, and I wouldn't buy one that didn't support it.

BTW, You can PM me, I have two brand new ones still in sealed boxes, I was going to use at my brothers, but he went and added the cat5e he needed. He is not a techie.
Original format... iso..

also with the new version, it goes right to the movie also. no previews or anything.

yeah i guess i wasn't clear.. im specifically talking about iso's

speed32219 Wrote:"I prefer to keep mine in the original format"

What original format? m2ts or iso? converting to MKV has no loss in video or audio quality.

"makemkv can play m2ts streams, and iso's but they take minuets to load"

Load from the bd drive, yes, but not from the rip on the HD. And when mine starts from the BD drive or ripped movie it starts from the movie, not 15-20 minutes later after all the previews and stuff.

"also with the makemkv add-on your media isn't in the library, but this way it is, and with the built in support libbluray its like 3 seconds to start playing the movie.."

All my ripped BD's in mkv containers are in my library (Just like my SD's in ISO with all thumbnails, etc.) and start immediately upon clicking on the movie, or a few seconds if going across the backbone. I guess I just do not comprehend this new feature. I think maybe it was added for ppl with Anydvd, maybe anydvd can rip to iso faster than any other format.

Using Makemkv I can Rip BD in 35-70 min depending on size. (Avatar 38-40GB 70 min on the Jetway with 1 GB ddr800).

FYI: mkv is the standard container for HD video and audio, espcially if you look ahead to doing more with you data.

Maybe you are not using Makemkv properly, or I just do not get it.

MKV can stream
MKV can contain video in different formats: H264, MP4, etc
MKV can contain several audios in addition to different types: AC3, MP4, MP3, OGG, etc
MKV can contain several subtitles in different formats: SRT, ASS. IDX/SUB, etc.
MKV supports chapters
++++++++
I just installed XBMC-Live on my new Jetway Mini-Top, following the instructions in Post #170. I've got everything working, except the remote. It appears as if the HID Aureal Kernel Module has been updated, so the steps for that install don't work.

Here's what happens when I try to install. The command:
Quote:git clone git://gitorious.org/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal-kernel-module.git
downloads the file just fine, but when I try to run make, this is the error message that I get:
Quote:make -C /lib/modules/2.6.35-28-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic'
CC [M] /home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.o
/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.c: In function âaureal_report_fixupâ:
/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.c:32: error: implicit declaration of function âhid_infoâ
/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.c: At top level:
/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.c:47: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/nettop/hid-aureal-kernel-module] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Never mind, I found an older version of the module, and was able to get it to work. Still need to get play/pause functioning, and map everything to my Harmony remote, but other than that, this box works like a charm.
No posts in quite some time. Everyone must be watching and streaming HD movies without any problems. Smile

Gotta love this little system, it performs like a Big Guy HTPC for a small amount of $$$.
Actually for me this little box went back to the store, very disappointed with it, especially the lack of wake from usb.
speed32219 Wrote:No posts in quite some time. Everyone must be watching and streaming HD movies without any problems. Smile

Gotta love this little system, it performs like a Big Guy HTPC for a small amount of $$$.

Everything is still working beautifully here! Actually, it handles 1080p so well that I realized my network was now the weakest link. I had a pro come and run CAT5 to my server (which I now had to double capacity on so that I could upgrade all my media to x264 quality - now it's running 5 x 1.5TB drives in a RAID 5 array), and made sure every connection in the chain was gigabit (using a WDNR3700 router using dd-wrt and a Netgear Prosafe switch). Perfect, smooth bluray streaming!

Several friends were actually inspired enough to start working on their own XBMC projects!
Check out my new NAS/media server build here, my old media server here or my Atom/Ion 2 based XBMC HTPC here

http://www.somethingtangential.com
Good job davemex, I need to do that also. I need two runs of cat 5e to fully complete my network and I will have 5 total xbmc boxes installed with two 4 bay NAS's. I need one more JW and it looks like the Egg is going to have one for $184 from the return below real soon. Just a shame that ppl do not know how to be creative or take the time to even ask questions, they just want a fully completed appliance, with no growth or new features, just PNP fucntionality. Return the best box available for the $$$ cause I don't know how, well it looks like a new box is in my horizon. Smile
speed32219 Wrote:Good job davemex, I need to do that also. I need two runs of cat 5e to fully complete my network and I will have 5 total xbmc boxes installed with two 4 bay NAS's. I need one more JW and it looks like the Egg is going to have one for $184 from the return below real soon. Just a shame that ppl do not know how to be creative or take the time to even ask questions, they just want a fully completed appliance, with no growth or new features, just PNP fucntionality. Return the best box available for the $$$ cause I don't know how, well it looks like a new box is in my horizon. Smile

5 XBMC boxes? That's quite the connected household! Are you using, or have you considered using PXE booting on them instead of having to install hard drives in each of the boxes? Since someone posted the guide I'd been thinking that if I expand beyond a couple computers I'd go that route to avoid having to buy a hard drive for each of them (especially since I put an SSD in the Jetway - not cheap!).
Check out my new NAS/media server build here, my old media server here or my Atom/Ion 2 based XBMC HTPC here

http://www.somethingtangential.com
At one time I was considering PXE, then I found a 2.5" Sata to CF card enclosure for $5 (Mounts just like a 2.5" HD), bought a couple of 266+ 8GB CF cards on sale at the Egg for $18 each shipped and went with that. Now have been replacing those with a 250GB WD Blue hd's (29-39 shipped when on sale) for growth and backup. (I needed more space on some of the JW's so kids, guests, family, etc. could unload their MP3/Ipods/phones/camera's music and pictures and keep their stuff off my main system/NAS)

The PXE would be a good project for you to work on and post your results here. SSD is expensive and needs more time in the market for true life expectency (R/W) MHO. I also looked at pulling out the atheros wireless pcie mini and putting in a pcie mini ssd. (8-10GB used dell, but costs as mush as the 250GB HD's I've purhcased)
Would this or the Zotac ND22 be better? Will the NG-ION really perform any better vs the extra CPU boost of the Celeron SU2300?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop2