• 6(current)
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop
I'm torn between buying this nettop or waiting for the AT5IONT-I Deluxe to be released (whenever that'll be). My primary concern with the Jetway is regarding noise. The NewEgg reviews state this machine is loud at times. However, there are posts here which state the opposite. Anyone else have this box and can report back? I'm planning to mount it behind my TV and will be sitting ~10' away.

Based on the specs, the Jetway has a mini PCI-E wifi card. Is this removable? I may want to use the mini PCI-E slot down the road and don't have any need for wifi.

Thanks!
The box is loud, at least with xbmc live. The fan control is limited to three states: off, medium speed, and full speed. It has threshold values you can set in the bios, but even with them set on the highest values, the fan will still ramp up. The speed doesn't increase gradually, it jumps from one state to another. For instance, if the fan was running at medium speed and the temperature rises 1 degree above the threshold, the fan ramps up to full speed and immediately ramps back down to medium, instead of increasing the speed slightly. If you're looking for something quiet, I'd suggest waiting on the revo 3700, based on my experience with the 3610. That's if you're looking for something with a next gen ion. Otherwise, 3610 FTW.

Yes, the PCIe card can be removed. You'll have to take the board out of the chassis to do it because it's on the underside.
jwoolen - Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but good to know. I think I'll just wait for the "AT5IONT-I Deluxe", or something similar, which allows me complete control over what fans are used.
it could maybe be possible to force the fans from linux?

anyone had any luck with this?

i want my box boiling, as long as its quiet!
Jetway arrived Saturday, i got it for 192 shipped from the egg.

The box is very quite once powered on and running. I have 1 GB DDR 2 PC2-6400 and 250GB HD. Hardly uses the CPU's during 1080P playback. I am very impressed with that function.

I can not get audio working with either hdmi or stereo. If I install Alsa 1.0.23 and reboot I get errors "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 61s! {modprobe:1350]" during boot and they just continue with those errors. I installed xbmcfreak911livev13 and I finally could boot into the jetway and use XBMC and test video but I have no Audio since the Alsa version I am using is 1.0.20. If I upgrade xbmcfreak911vlicev13 with Alsa 1.0.23 it goes back into that error condition above about my cpu's timing out at 61s. I also get it with the xbmc-Dharma_beta4-live because it has the latest 1.0.23 Alsa drivers. Alsa is my problem at the moment and I need a work around.

Does anyone have the audio working with his HW? If so, what version of Alsa are you using?
"I can not get audio working with either hdmi or stereo."

Bang! - exactly the reason I sent mine back.... Camelot worked.. Dharma... nothing
I switched my Core2Duo 2.8 & GT220 combo HTPC to Core i3 530 HTPC. But i think buy this jetway. To problem is in my head. SPDIF connector is front of case. And at 5 mt its must be quite. SPDIF maybe can solve after some soldering operations. But small case with dual core 1.8 atom. I think its loud system.
Took me a day but I got 97% of it working (Now to the sensors). I really like the box, its small, cheap, and performs as well as my Nvidia 9300 with intel 2.5Mhz dual core so far. And I only have 1 GB DDR2 PC-6400 in it. Smile

The JETway comes with 512 DDR3 dedicated to the ION2 chipset so I only use the 1GB for apps. Useage of the 1GB is roughly 195MB max running SD, 360MB Blue Ray (Avatar), and on average around 10-15% per core running BD. (SHows four cores because of hyperhreading and 2-9% per core usage.) 3D streaming from Hulu in HD perf. was 4% of swap 38-75% CPU per core and 393MB RAM. Running perfectly without any jitter/blocking due to perfomance, other than an ocassional blip on bandwidth, on a 4-5Mbps downstream pipe.

I had to install Maverick 10.10 with the latest svn daily to get the errors to stop from my previous post. It is a bug in the kernel of Lucid using the new pinetrail 525 dual core, karmic did not have it. Also found out not to follow the XBMCubuntu wiki on loading the transitional package "nvidia 195 glx and 195 modaliases" using Maverick 10.10. It only supports the following per the maverick/ubuntu wiki.

"Name: nvidia-glx-173 Description: Transitional package for nvidia-glx-173
This is a transitional package for nvidia-glx-173, and can be safely removed
after the installation is complete.
Latest version: 173.14.28-0ubuntu1
Ubuntu release: maverick (10.10) "

If you use 195 you will have probelms for hours, trust me.

The other tricks to get sound over hdmi was as follows:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2 ##For ION2 only

### to check if you have Ion2 run the following and if you get output you have Ion2.

lspci -nn | grep '0403' | grep '10de:0be3'

If you get an output string wiht Rev A1 you have Ion2.

To check if you have the Ion1 run the following:
lspci -nn | grep '0403' | grep '10de:0ac0'

If you get an output than that's what you have. Courtesy of XBMCfreak.

Maverick will install alsa 1.0.23, and I am running the NVIDIA 260.19 drivers, which require some blacklisting that can be found on the XBMCbuntu wiki or it will not install (You should also install those 175 transitional drivers above) prior to isntall NVIDIA 260.19. I would recommend them for the Ion2.

Lastly you need to run aplay -l to verify your HD sound is being recognized. If you see a bunch of outputs but attached to a USB port then something is not right. Once you have the right output you need to build a .asound.conf file for your home directory. (hidden, . in front)

Here is mine, I jsut got the hdmi working and I am working on my headphones. I think the headphone jack is also the Optical, never saw anything like it but it has a red fiber light in the jack and also you can plug you headphones in. Pretty cool for sure.
Code:
pcm.hdmi09 {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 9
}
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 0
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card Headset
}
#pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

The deivce is pretty quiet if you set the CPU Thresholds to 70C in Bios. Setting here watching Avatar BD and I can only hear my MS box on the floor with this Jetway right under my nose. It's 1/3 the size of my Zoatc mini itx and came with vesa mounting brackets and solo stand. Crappy wireless, atheros 802.11No go more than 10' wireless. Big Grin

Hmm, next project Jetway/Zotac atheros 802.11n's adhoc to Eken android wireless for whole house remote.
Update:

It is causing me some problems, alsa-utils just drops out when setting up (I think upower and or policykit-1) and requires a fresh install.

Hardware:
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2 ###GEforce 218
Intel Atom 525 dual core 1.8Ghz (June 2010 release)
1 GB Notebook (200 pin) PC-6400 Rendition RAM (Cruical)
WD Scorpio Blue 250GB 2.5" drive
1 USB 4GB Patriot disk as backup (Clonezilla)
SW
10.10 Mav.
1.0.23 alsa with current patches
260.19.12 Nvidia

The minute I installed upower and policykit-1, I lose alsa-utils functions and installed drivers it seems. (Alsamixer, aplay, etc.)

Here are some snapshots of my current situation after installing the pkgs. above.
$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:235: no soundcards found...

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

UPDATE: Fixed it, it was in the wiki hiding in the nvidia 2XX section. It seems that the ION2 is a GEforce 218 card, kinda good to know. I was installing alsa from the maverick backports and not removing them when finished. Found that tip on the Nvidia Geforce 2xx wiki.

Maverick minimal cd with only ssh server app enabled during install.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils

sudo apt-get install nvidia-173-kernel-source nvidia-glx-173 nvidia-settings mesa-utils libvdpau-dev

sudo apt-get install binutils gcc

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf  (CTRL O & ENter to write, CTRL X to exit)
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

#Make sure you left the space above before you write it out
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.12.run    ###DOwnlaod this from NVIDIA Site, then

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.12.run        ##Follow prompts during instll with yes & OK

sudo modprobe nvidia

sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo reboot

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.35-22-generic alsa-utils  ##Here comes your sound

sudo alsamixer     #### pres M on each of the four selections to UNMUTE,  Excape to Exit

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf    ###Add
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2    ###ION2 only, others may need to change probe mask to probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

sudo alsactl store 0

sudo apt-get remove linux-backports-modules-alsa-`uname -r`   ### This was my problem, found it on the GEFORCE 2XX page.

aplay -l   ####sample out below

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]   ######This was my hdmi out#####
card 1: default [USB PnP Sound Device          ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

sudo nano .asoundrc      #####Now to add your hdmi device  ### CTRL + O + Enter to write, CTRL X to exit

###Card 0 devcie 7 ###2nd line from top
pcm.hdmi07 {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 7
}
pcm.!default hdmi07

###CTL + O + ENter to write, and CTRL + X to exit

### How did I know, well you could try each one of the above card/device combos or follow this to get the eld info.

cd /proc/asound/card0  ##or card1, you are looking for the one that has eld# in the directory

cat eld#0.0

cat eld#1.0  ###When I looked in this file it was the only one with data, look at bottom fo this for card/device info

###example
monitor_present         1
eld_valid               1
monitor_name            ASUS VH236H

connection_type         HDMI   #########
eld_version             [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version            [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
manufacture_id          0x6904
product_id              0x23f2
port_id                 0x20000
support_hdcp            0
support_ai              0
audio_sync_delay        0
speakers                [0x1] FL/FR  #######
sad_count               1
sad0_coding_type        [0x1] LPCM   #######
sad0_channels           2
sad0_rates              [0xe0] 44100 48000 88200  #####What happened to 92000?
sad0_bits               [0x20000] 16  #######

cat eld#2.0

cat eld#3.0

Note: eld#0.0 corresonds to device 0,3, #1.0 to device 0,7 #2.0 to device 0,8 and #3.0 to device 0,9

##Below is for connecting hdmi cable to tv that does not support DD or DTS, if it does you can leave everthing to hdmi.
Set AUdio output to Analog in movie audio settings (WHEn watching movie)
Set Audio in system settings to Analog,  aduio output to hdmi and passthrough to HDMI.

Enjoy your HDMI sound.

Thanks to the wiki's and individuals from linux org, ubuntu forums and right here in da house.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:a little too expensive, that was also my first thought

but it's nice that they throw in a remote, and in comparison to first generation ion systems you get gigabit and wlan N

now we just need to know how silent the unit really is and when the price drops to 199,- Big Grin

Price just dropped to $199, today, Newegg.
Thumbs Up 
speed32219 Wrote:Update:

It is causing me some problems, alsa-utils just drops out when setting up (I think upower and or policykit-1) and requires a fresh install.

Hardware:
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2 ###GEforce 218
Intel Atom 525 dual core 1.8Ghz (June 2010 release)
1 GB Notebook (200 pin) PC-6400 Rendition RAM (Cruical)
WD Scorpio Blue 250GB 2.5" drive
1 USB 4GB Patriot disk as backup (Clonezilla)
SW
10.10 Mav.
1.0.23 alsa with current patches
260.19.12 Nvidia

The minute I installed upower and policykit-1, I lose alsa-utils functions and installed drivers it seems. (Alsamixer, aplay, etc.)

Here are some snapshots of my current situation after installing the pkgs. above.
$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:235: no soundcards found...

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

UPDATE: Fixed it, it was in the wiki hiding in the nvidia 2XX section. It seems that the ION2 is a GEforce 218 card, kinda good to know. I was installing alsa from the maverick backports and not removing them when finished. Found that tip on the Nvidia Geforce 2xx wiki.

Maverick minimal cd with only ssh server app enabled during install.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils

sudo apt-get install nvidia-173-kernel-source nvidia-glx-173 nvidia-settings mesa-utils libvdpau-dev

sudo apt-get install binutils gcc

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf  (CTRL O & ENter to write, CTRL X to exit)
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

#Make sure you left the space above before you write it out
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.12.run    ###DOwnlaod this from NVIDIA Site, then

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.12.run        ##Follow prompts during instll with yes & OK

sudo modprobe nvidia

sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo reboot

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.35-22-generic alsa-utils  ##Here comes your sound

sudo alsamixer     #### pres M on each of the four selections to UNMUTE,  Excape to Exit

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf    ###Add
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2    ###ION2 only, others may need to change probe mask to probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

sudo alsactl store 0

sudo apt-get remove linux-backports-modules-alsa-`uname -r`   ### This was my problem, found it on the GEFORCE 2XX page.

aplay -l   ####sample out below

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]   ######This was my hdmi out#####
card 1: default [USB PnP Sound Device          ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

sudo nano .asoundrc      #####Now to add your hdmi device  ### CTRL + O + Enter to write, CTRL X to exit

###Card 0 devcie 7 ###2nd line from top
pcm.hdmi07 {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 7
}
pcm.!default hdmi07

###CTL + O + ENter to write, and CTRL + X to exit

### How did I know, well you could try each one of the above card/device combos or follow this to get the eld info.

cd /proc/asound/card0  ##or card1, you are looking for the one that has eld# in the directory

cat eld#0.0

cat eld#1.0  ###When I looked in this file it was the only one with data, look at bottom fo this for card/device info

###example
monitor_present         1
eld_valid               1
monitor_name            ASUS VH236H

connection_type         HDMI   #########
eld_version             [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version            [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
manufacture_id          0x6904
product_id              0x23f2
port_id                 0x20000
support_hdcp            0
support_ai              0
audio_sync_delay        0
speakers                [0x1] FL/FR  #######
sad_count               1
sad0_coding_type        [0x1] LPCM   #######
sad0_channels           2
sad0_rates              [0xe0] 44100 48000 88200  #####What happened to 92000?
sad0_bits               [0x20000] 16  #######

cat eld#2.0

cat eld#3.0

Note: eld#0.0 corresonds to device 0,3, #1.0 to device 0,7 #2.0 to device 0,8 and #3.0 to device 0,9

##Below is for connecting hdmi cable to tv that does not support DD or DTS, if it does you can leave everthing to hdmi.
Set AUdio output to Analog in movie audio settings (WHEn watching movie)
Set Audio in system settings to Analog,  aduio output to hdmi and passthrough to HDMI.

Enjoy your HDMI sound.

Thanks to the wiki's and individuals from linux org, ubuntu forums and right here in da house.

@Speed THANK YOU for taking the time to post your experience. I am getting my Jetway tommorow and it sounds like you have saved me a bunch of time.

Now to see if I can get an iscsi bluray drive from another machine to work with xbmc...

UPDATE 12/2:
Glad I didn't buy an ssd right away, I've installed quite a few times :bleh:

Anyhow, some notes on the above procedure:

1. You have to use F6 and choose the Nvidia device in alsa, that's where you'll see the four items you need to unmute
dkxbmc Wrote:Any of you guys have been able to map any keyboard or remote to a harmony remote where the built-in IR receiver will accept? So far, the only thing that works is to teach the harmony from the Jetway remote. I called Jetway's tech support, and they told me they are using a generic IR receiver, From what device manager shows in win7, it's from a company called irfmedia. The remote that came with it is pretty darn limited, I would love to be able to map the MCE keyboard commands to my remote and have the darn receiver accept them.

Can anyone confirm if the Jetway's IR receiver will work with a Harmony remote if the Harmony remote has the MCE keyboard commands mapped?
thank for the guide, ill be trying it from scratch maybe this weekend, or probably next. The sound is definitely the tricky part, by the way is there a reason you don't start with 64bit livecd?
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the wireless adapter is an Atheros AR9285. Unless I am missing something, it seems like the maximum bitrate of 150mbps. There are no options within the Windows driver to set the channel width to 40 MHz Sad
I cant get my wireless N to work in windows 7 Ultimate-Is there something im doing wrong. it only connects as G not N.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop2